Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2011-11-17, 6:03am
Run Free Sweet Boy

Default Flamingo Beach Tutorial

This is now available through my etsy shop. Many of you know that I had to put my service dog Stryder to sleep a few weeks ago, and this tutorial will go towards my fund raising efforts for a new service dog, and Stryder's final expenses.

Candice

Glass Supply List
Below is a list of the glass I used to make the Flamingo bead. Feel free to change things up and make the bead your own. The cane for the palm fronds can be made from any two high contrast greens. The palm trunk twisty could be made from many combos of greens, browns or yellows. The background could be light blue. I have used 104 Effetre and one Reichenbach glass, but you could also use other brands and coefficients of glass. Make up your own color pallet and have fun.
264-Ivory
232- Lt. Turquoise
204 -White
242- Medium Lapis
460-Mustard
218- Petroleum Green
212-Pea Green
444- Lt. Brown
064- Black
008- Dk. Transparent Gray or any transparent 104 COE glass
RL-6219 Opal Raspberry this is a Reichenbach 104 lampworking cane

Tools-

tools are a personal preference. You will need to do the following things, what tools you use are up to you.
Mash a bead flat
Push glass around on the surface of a bead
pull bits of glass away from a bead
pull canes and twisties,
adjust the shape of a bead

the tutorial is 33 pages long and has a montage of step by step pictures at the end on a single page. this makes it easy for you to place it near your workbench and refer to as you make the bead. The tutorial has a supply list, suppliers, how to make the twisties and canes, as well as step by step instructions and photos on how to make the bead itself. The sale price is 20 dollars

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."

Last edited by patienthand; 2011-11-17 at 7:41am. Reason: added info
Old 2011-11-17, 8:25am
Oh my!

Very beautiful. I just can't make friends with soft glass.
Old 2011-11-17, 1:12pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I ordered mine! I love this style of bead.

I'm so sorry about Stryder, Candice. I hope your search for a new service dog yields a good match soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-11-17, 6:41pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

thanks MaryBeth. I have found a good match, just have to raise the funds... I am working on it

Old 2011-11-17, 7:20pm
Glassy Broad :-)

Thanks Candice, I had a LOT of fun making these today! The tutorial is very well written, *has to be if I can understand it* And the photos rock!
Good on ya!!!

Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2011-11-18, 5:17am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I am so glad you liked it Nita... I want to see some pics soon ya know...

Love ya

Candice

Old 2011-11-18, 10:48am
Sucks at being nice

I just got my copy Candice and it looks like so much fun! I am going to try it out tonight. I think I will have more success with this than I did with the ornaments. I had fun trying but so far I still suck at boro!

Old 2011-11-18, 11:35am
novembersfyre everywhere

This is a very nicely done tutorial! I'm hoping to try it out the next time I torch.

Old 2011-11-18, 3:39pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

yay, I am glad everyone is liking it.

Old 2011-11-19, 8:48am
Corgi Cult Member

I've only had a chance to do a read through this morning but it was written so well and the photos so good that I took the plunge and just purchased your ornament tut too!

I love, love, love the photo recap at the end! I'm a visual learner, so it will make a great reference to keep near the torch. I wish all tut writers would add this feature!

Thanks Candice! Great job!!

Old 2011-11-19, 10:04am
Run Free Sweet Boy

thank you thank you thank you.....I am already stewing on whats the next tutorial... I have to raise about 6 grand in 6 months.... lord help me... that will pay off stryders bills and for the new service dog.

I am thinking.. small blown vases....bells (but those are hard hard hard) maybe my sugar plum fairy ornament for boro,,, still thinking....

Old 2011-11-19, 10:23am

Anyone tried the ornaments with 104??? Love the Flamingo beach tut - thinking i can make a blue heron from this!

SRA #C88

Old 2011-11-19, 1:02pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

the 104 tubing I have found is VERY thin walled and not user friendly.

you can certainly make a blue heron, and just chop off the legs and you have a swan too, and add an UP shaped dot and drag for the wing. a white heron or egret would have a small comb on its head

Old 2011-11-19, 1:26pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post
the 104 tubing I have found is VERY thin walled and not user friendly.

you can certainly make a blue heron, and just chop off the legs and you have a swan too, and add an UP shaped dot and drag for the wing. a white heron or egret would have a small comb on its head
Thanks! I'm thinking heron also. I have some awesome photos from the last time we were in the Everglades and we have white herons here.

Old 2011-11-19, 7:27pm

I work at an aquarium and we have an aviary with a little blue heron, great blue heron, egrets........i find lots of inspiration in my 'real' job.

SRA #C88

Old 2011-11-20, 12:24pm
Sucks at being nice

I just made 2 beads and I must say this tutorial is so much fun! It was easy to follow and I can see so many possibilities for other designs using this technique. Thank you so much Candice for sharing this!

Old 2011-11-20, 6:12pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I am wanting to see pictures....... and yup, when I learn something new , all of a sudden I hvae lots of new ideas and possibilities.. cant wait to see them all

Old 2011-11-27, 7:03pm

Default My interpretation

Today I tried using this tutorial to make a little blue heron. I have to say i am fairly happy with the first attempt.
Attached Images

SRA #C88

Old 2011-11-30, 4:39pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy he is cute.. it took me afeew tries to get the neck and body placement figured out. keep working..... I love it

Old 2011-12-05, 6:21am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Here is my first flamingo bead. It was fun to make! Yes... it's not perfect, but I love it anyway. The tutorial was really easy to follow.

--
--
--

Old 2011-12-07, 8:43am
Run Free Sweet Boy

woo hoo, PPP will fix everything... it took me a few tries to get it as well. great first try.. better than mine.. lololol