Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-09, 8:04am

Default Dicro in to frit?

Has anyone taken cut sheets or scrap dicro and made it into frit?

I was wondering what the best technique for this would be. Or at least which was would work.

wrap and hammer

frit crusher

Heat and ice water bath

????? What do you think?

Leigh
Old 2007-01-09, 8:13am
Crazy Snake Lady

Someone had posted that you can buy pre-made dichro frit and that's the way to go. If you make your own, the bits that are dichro up will fry in the flame and look fugly. The pre-made is covered entirely in clear to preserve the dichro. Now if I just knew where to buy it...
Old 2007-01-09, 8:28am

Ahhhh your right. I will see if I can find it. I will post a link here when I do. Leigh
Old 2007-01-09, 8:42am

You can get the rods COE 104 here: http://www.howacoglass.com/dichro_104.html

I will keep looking for the frit though.
Old 2007-01-09, 8:44am
ManBearPig

I remember seeing in a magazine not too long ago that CBS was going to start making frit. They were coating the glass after it was made into frit, so the dichroic is on all sides.

I haven't seen it available yet. You may want to give CBS a call or e-mail and ask them about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-01-09, 8:49am

lldesigns, I found the info/thread you are talking about take a look and read through it. It lists a few places we can get it from.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=dichroic+frit

Last edited by uniqueleigh; 2007-01-09 at 8:52am.
Old 2007-01-09, 10:47am

These folks sell online and on Ebay (nothing there at the moment). Their frit is all COE 90, so cannot be used with Moretti.
www.COE90.com
Carol

Old 2007-01-13, 9:48pm
Butterfly Rancher

This is COE 90 http://cdvkiln.com/menudichroicglass.htm -- scroll down on the page. I haven't tried it yet.
Old 2007-01-13, 9:52pm
Looking for my waistline

One of the people posting in the other thread said the Frantz has some 104 dichro frit hiding in his stash. You have to call and ask for it.
Old 2007-01-14, 8:06am
It's not easy being green

I was looking for some of this last week. I called Frantz and they said they don't carry 104 dichro frit. I did order some 96 coe dichro frit from CBS. Here is the link.

https://sitecarverhosting.net/SSL/CB...Products&PN=32

Now I am wondering if this 96 frit is like other 96 frit that can be used sparingly on 104 coe?

Lonni
Old 2007-01-14, 8:16am
Word to your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I remember seeing in a magazine not too long ago that CBS was going to start making frit. They were coating the glass after it was made into frit, so the dichroic is on all sides.

I haven't seen it available yet. You may want to give CBS a call or e-mail and ask them about it.

Ewwwww, I would LOVE that. Hurry up already!

Old 2007-01-14, 8:58am
Viking Flame Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie4364 View Post

Now I am wondering if this 96 frit is like other 96 frit that can be used sparingly on 104 coe?

Lonni
It depends on what the base glass is. If it's something System 96 or Uroboros you run a serious risk of the bead cracking. If the base glass is a furnace glass (like Reichenbach or Zimmerman) it should work just fine.
My guess though is that they've used COE 96 fusing glass, not furnace glass.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2007-01-14, 9:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

I bought some when it first came out - quite a few years ago. Even with the coating on all sides, it's still necessary to case it immediately. Frankly, I was never really successful at using it. Now that I am a bit better at encasing, perhaps I will try again and/or start with a smaller bead rather than my usual honkers.