Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-13, 6:53pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Default Looking for suggestion on which press to buy to make beads for bracelets!

I am trying to decide on a new press and am thinking of the straight sided lentil trio or the nugget trio. I love the look of the regular lentil, but I like the cleaner ends on the beads with the sides.

What size beads do you guys usually make for bracelets? If you use round beads, what size are those?ooziis or other with guide pins.

Thanks!!
Sigrid

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-01-13, 6:57pm
Certified Glassaholic!

The SSL ROCKS!!! You know that's one of my favourites But then I love the nugget as well. I'd say that the nugget is slightly harder to get perfect (if you're a perfectionist).

If you want a chunky bracelet I'd say the 1" SSL is plenty! Otherwise I find the press that has both the nugget and SSL in one is perfect. 21mm is a great size for bracelets. Actually...that's the one I'd recommed you get first. That way you get both shapes and then can decide if you want the trios after.

-Yee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-01-13, 7:20pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepers View Post
The SSL ROCKS!!! You know that's one of my favourites But then I love the nugget as well. I'd say that the nugget is slightly harder to get perfect (if you're a perfectionist).

If you want a chunky bracelet I'd say the 1" SSL is plenty! Otherwise I find the press that has both the nugget and SSL in one is perfect. 21mm is a great size for bracelets. Actually...that's the one I'd recommed you get first. That way you get both shapes and then can decide if you want the trios after.

-Yee
hmm... good idea on the mixed one.

I want something a little on the delicate looking side - would the 21mm give me that look?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-01-13, 7:30pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Know the bead you picked? The purple one with the flowers? That's the 21mm one...just for reference. I can see if I have a 21mm SSL here somewhere that I can bring tomorrow also for reference.

Old 2007-01-13, 7:39pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

awesome - thanks!!!!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-01-13, 8:44pm

Have you tried, or thought about bending beads? I've got the long, narrow emerald (I think that's the one). Four of those make an awesome bracelet. It's super comfortable, too.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2007-01-14, 2:09am

I have the square, pillow, lentils, tab, and nuggets from Zoozii. They are all awesome, but I'm really into the square right now.
Old 2007-01-14, 2:30pm
Striking-impared...

I have to say that the SSL is my favorite (as in easiest to use). But I go back and forth between it and the nugget as far as looks go. (And actually for me the nugget is just slightly less easy to use -- far easier than the lentils and tabs!)

I like the feel of the 18mm nugget in a chunky bracelet. But I like the small SSLs for earrings and the 21mm SSL for necklaces. Oh my!

Either way, you can't go wrong. Amy makes some awesome presses!