AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2008-12-12, 2:42pm

Default Dustin Tabor's Starburst Murrini Pendant Tutorial now available!

Hey everybody,

Teaching has been something I have greatly enjoyed over the past 5 years, which is why I'm so excited to be offering my first "e-Tutorial"!

It covers how to make a starburst murrini pendant. It has complete step-by-step photographs and written instructions to guide you along the way. It is divided into three parts. The first part covers the construction of the murrini cane, the second covers the ribbon cane, and the third puts it all together to create the pendant. It's 28 pages long with over 70 large full color photos. I have added helpful hints and suggestions for how to practice the trickier parts of this project throughout the tutorial. This tutorial was written using Effetre glass, but it can be used to create similar projects in a variety of glass formulas.

This tutorial focuses predominately on technique, even-though a full color list and instructions are provided for how to make this exact pendant. All of the techniques covered can be altered and applied to a variety of beads and pendants, especially the off-mandrel technique detailed in the making of the pendant section. Working away from the mandrel can provide nearly limitless possibilities for pendants, beads, and small sculptures. This is a great place to start if you have never tried working off-mandrel, or have struggled with it in the past. If you have taken my class in the past and can't decipher your notes now, this will more than fill in all of the gaps.

Only a very basic tool and supply list is needed. As many of you who have taken my class know, I don't use a lot of tools.

I currently don't have an etsy shop. That's next on my to do list right after getting back on the torch to make some new work now that this is finished. So, the tutorial is currently available on my website. There is a link right on the home page or you can follow this direct link below to learn more. I have added some samples of the process photos and pages on my site, as well as complete ordering information and all of that fun stuff.

http://www.dustintabor.com/tutorial.htm

I can't wait to see what you make with it! And let me know what you think. Also, feel free to contact me with any questions you may have as well.

I have attached a picture of the pendant that is detailed in this tutorial to the bottom of this post (I hope I did it right).
Attached Images

Last edited by dustintabor; 2008-12-15 at 1:00pm. Reason: forgot something
Old 2008-12-12, 3:07pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Yay, snagged me one Since I didn't get sit in on your class this will have to do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-12-12, 3:41pm
HourGlass Studio

Bought mine. Cant wait to try this.
Old 2008-12-12, 3:54pm

Definitely not qualified to make that - but it sure is pretty. Must do one in the future!
Old 2008-12-12, 5:50pm
Mr. Cellophane

I think you guys will really enjoy this tutorial..it is so well written and so easy to follow.
You feel like you are in class with Dustin as you follow along.
Great job.

Libby

Old 2008-12-12, 7:56pm

God I hope I can make this because I just bought it!!!!
Thanks Dustin. Hopefully more will follow. I can't wait to see it!!!

Old 2008-12-13, 1:43pm
Just me

I got mine today and it's excellent.
I hope to be able to make on as nice as Dustin's finished piece in the tut some day.
Bettah start practicing!
Thanks Dustin!

Old 2008-12-13, 2:41pm
Gimme that silver glass!

I love that piece, just ordered mine !

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-12-14, 12:02pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

Dustin, I really admire your work! I'll have to wait till after Christmas, but its on the top of my list!

Jenny

Old 2008-12-14, 12:13pm
Trying to Hope!

ohhh this will be on my list as soon as I can afford it how cool it looks fabulous

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-12-15, 11:08am

A big Thank You to everyone who has emailed me with kind words about my first tutorial. I really enjoyed putting it together and plan on offering more in the future. I'm also so happy to hear that many of you have already worked through the tutorial and have been proud of your results, that's the most rewarding part. If any of you have suggestions or requests for future tutorials please feel free to contact me and let me know. I'm not currently working on any of the future tutorials at this time, just brainstorming, but would love suggestions to add to my list of possibilities.

And again thanks to all who have emailed me to let me know that you have learned something and enjoyed the info provided.

Dustin

Old 2008-12-15, 7:02pm
Shelarious

Happy B-Day to me...I'm going to give this a shot, but it looks way over my head. Could people please post purty pictures?

Old 2008-12-16, 11:40am
Calendar Girl

Stunning. REALLY well done. Great photos, great graphics, typography. Very clear instructions. (a few typos...)

Thanks, Dustin.

Old 2008-12-17, 2:33am
Everybody Needs Beads!

I had to find out about this from Facebook! Naughty me for not checking in more! Can't wait to see posted pictures. It's probably way oveer MY head too, but maybe Santa will bring me one anyway!

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2008-12-17, 4:19am

Well the starburst is pretty easy to make. I'm having a hard time keeping it centered as I do the rest of the pendant and then well....there's the wonkyness to it.
I've got so many tutorials now that it's hard to focus lol.
I go from one and then try another and back and forth. Not a really good way to practice on a technique but they are all so fun!!!
Thanks again Dustin. When I get one that looks decent, I'll post a picture!

Old 2008-12-18, 11:37am

Great tutorial. I have had a class with Dustin (great teacher) but still thought I needed the tutorial and I was quite right because my notes just didn't give all the details.
Old 2009-01-02, 7:48pm

How on earth did I miss this one?

Old 2009-01-02, 7:50pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

me too!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-02, 7:50pm
Crazy Snake Lady

What a gorgeous pendant!
Old 2009-01-02, 7:53pm

Anyone got any pics?
Old 2009-01-02, 8:04pm

This one is next on my list of must have tuts!

Old 2009-01-02, 8:18pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

mine too!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-02, 8:24pm
moth to the flame

Me three!

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-01-02, 9:08pm
Shelarious

I got this one, and I have been working really hard to present something...presentable. It's a bit over my head for now, but well worth it for the information. The tut is crystal clear, all kind of pictures, well thought out instructions, tips, et cetera. A really good value!

Old 2009-01-03, 10:51am
Mr. Cellophane

So anybody got some beads to show from Dustin's Tut?

Libby