LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-26, 10:13am

Default Why aren't you blowing your own shards?

I guess I don't get it...I have a ? blow pipe...hollow mandrel? it is maybe
1/4 inch ok maybe a bit more...

it is very easy to blow shards...with a little practice

IF I can do it you can do it...and no one showed me how...it is intuitive.

you start by winding the glass around the tip...and slowly add glass for a disk...
then build it out etc...using some heat from the flame.... I would think this would be intuitive...like making a hollow bead....of course you can't have holes...
but you want the shards ...the glob you are adding and blowing isn't the finished product so don't be so fussy about your process...if you get a hold heat up some glass and cover it...just do this slowly....good grief I have so many bits and pieces of glass on my work table ...I could melt them all together and make them into shards until the proverbial cows come home ))

Beads galore at my ebay store!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!
Old 2009-09-26, 10:15am
Tweedle Dumb

Yeah! I blow my own too... they are addictive to make... so many shorts to use up so little time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2009-09-26, 10:18am
Mary Lockwood

Probably for the same reason people don't make their own twisties or canes or murrini. They either hate to do it, don't think they can, or don't want to take the time to do it when their torch time is limited they want to make beads...not components. Maybe it is cheaper to pay $4 for finished shards than it is to buy a 1/4 pound of the glass, pay to ship it and then spend time blowing the shards.

I personally love to make all my own parts, but not everybody does.

Old 2009-09-26, 10:51am

because mine suck...they end up being too thin and it takes me forever to get one done. I wish I knew the trick. I've watched others do it and tried to mimic what they've done, but again....mine suck!
-elaine
Old 2009-09-26, 10:56am
Just Plain

I've done it, but prefer to spend my very limited torch time making beads. Same with murrini

Old 2009-09-26, 11:10am

because i get much prettier shards from people who have lots of great glass to combine and who know how to combine it to make terrific shards. ....kath
Old 2009-09-26, 12:49pm
Live and Let Live

Because mine end up too thick or I get a huge blow-out like cellophane flying around which is very hazardous to breathe and I can't seem to find that 'middle ground' where they come out usable still...

Old 2009-09-26, 12:53pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I don't have time for it and I also don't mind supporting our community.

Old 2009-09-26, 1:00pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Making shards on my HH takes about 3 years... I'd rather do other things with that time.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2009-09-26, 2:58pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

I don't like them when I do it.
Plus, i like the people I buy them from.
It's fun to buy from friends.

Old 2009-09-26, 3:39pm
Unmedicated since '62

i love making my own stuff - when i make jewellery i try really hard to not use bought components at all

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-09-26, 4:07pm
Dangerous Woman

I love to make shards, twisties, ribbon and other complex cane, stringers, and I'm getting into making murrini. My problem is I don't use them!!! Maybe I should sell them.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-09-26, 4:38pm

I can't imagine paying for shards. If I couldn't do it, I'd figure it out. It's not THAT time-consuming.
Old 2009-09-26, 4:49pm

I have a few reasons why some people don't make their own shards.

1) We have customers who do several of the big shows across the U.S. They tell us they don't have time to make shards. They need to spend their time making beads so they have stuff to sell.

2) Some peoples skill level is not there yet.

3) Some don't want to learn how. They just want to make beads.

Old 2009-09-26, 5:17pm

Jen Geldard has a really nice (FREE) tutorial on her website on how to blow shards for those that want to make their own! We blew them in classes at Tin City and they were a lot of fun!!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-09-26, 6:14pm

I like supporting other artists who have taken considerable time to come up with cool reactions and recipes...like someone else said, I'd rather spend my limited bead-making time making beads.

Old 2009-09-26, 7:15pm
Naysayer

I'm on a HH and make shards, it doesn't take long at all, in fact about 2 years ago I thought of selling them but I didn't think there was a want. *silly*
I don't think it takes much skill. I was making them on a fireworks torch even lol! It's fun to break them too

I do see some nice ones out there, and I would buy, or should I say will when I can, but I'll also keep making my own.
Old 2009-09-26, 7:21pm
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Plus mine SUCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Jen Geldard has a really nice (FREE) tutorial on her website on how to blow shards for those that want to make their own! We blew them in classes at Tin City and they were a lot of fun!!
Paula
Jen showed me in Chinook (she's such a sweetheart) and mine still SUCK LOL

Old 2009-09-26, 7:54pm

I am one of those people who do the larger bead shows and would rather spend my time making beads to make money than making shards. I also pay a studio assistant to clean my beads though. My torch time is worth about $100 an hour when I make beads, NOT when I make shards or clean beads though....... Just my 2 cents
Old 2009-09-26, 9:01pm
Borovangelist

I can make bread but I buy it in the store. I can smack a rod of glass with a hammer to make frit but I buy that sometimes too. Sometimes for the sake of expediency it's easier to just buy certain things.

Plus this way I can play with some colors I don't already own.

For what it's worth, though, I make ornaments this time of year and some of them to wind up as (boro) shards.

|
|
Old 2009-09-27, 8:47am

For the same reason folks buy commercially pulled stringers. Because I don't want to blow my own. Especially this time of year, my time at the torch is better spent making things rather than doing prep work.
Old 2009-09-27, 8:47am
High Maintenance

I make my own when I want shards out of a color I have but a lot of the shards out there are made from colors I don't have and don't need so when that's the case its much cheaper and faster just to buy some shards rather than buy glass, pay to ship it, and then make shards.
Old 2009-09-27, 9:21am

Lots of reasons:

1) Mine suck.

2) To get a silver color I'd have to pay $25 for a quarter pound of the glass, PLUS some shipping, PLUS make a "decent" shard (again, mine suck) & then I *might* hate the result. I can get a bit of the color to "try" for a couple bucks--try it out, see if I like it for a minimum of cash outlay. And a fraction of an ounce can last me MONTHS with the fraction of time I get to torch. For $25+ shipping (what I'd pay for ONE color of silver glass) I can try a couple DOZEN colors of shards--enough to try DOZENS of colors--and eliminate HUNDREDS of DOLLARS from my glass budget, or narrow down a few colors of "must have" for what works best "for me & my torch/working style" Same goes for frit.
How often do you see posts in the garage sale of "I hate this glass" (I'm sure the long-time members remember the "I hate raku" sales from folks who bought pounds of it, I'm still occasionally seeing "I hate chalcedony" posts & "I hate XXX" posts about specific DH/TAG colors ...a few dollars on frit/shards can avert that!)

3) Blowing shards AT HOME scares me--I have cats--they stay away from the torch, but because I suck @ blowing, if I get "cellophane" bits, I'm always afraid I'll miss a few bits @ cleanup & the cats will get them in paws, or breathe them, or whatever...it's SAFER for me to buy them!

4) I still can't make hollow beads (rofl) consistently.

5) I'd rather make a bead than blow shards....or pull stringers for that matter--unless it's something "cool", like a striped cane, or a color I can't get in stringer--if the price is the same, it seems silly to pull white, black, etc! there's no creativity in being able to pull a piece of white just so I can use it to "poke & twist"!

6) echoing that I'd rather support the community--there are so many people who can take glass, melt it up, turn it into fabulous shards that do fabulous things in record time & make a bit of profit off it, why *wouldn't* I support them? If they can do in 5 minutes what takes me 2 hours to do, it just makes sense! That way MY 20 minute bead that I'm only gonna be able to sell for $7 still makes ME a bit of profit

~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-09-27, 9:37am
Looking for my waistline

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbatteries View Post
because mine suck...they end up being too thin and it takes me forever to get one done. I wish I knew the trick. I've watched others do it and tried to mimic what they've done, but again....mine suck!
-elaine
You're probably making your hollow base too thin. When people say it's "like" making a hollow bead, they don't mean to make a hollow bead and blow it out. You have to make the walls a lot thicker than if you're making a hollow bead. When you make the walls thicker, it's easier to build the hollow shape. It doesn't collapse as easily as a hollow bead with it's thin little wall of glass. It holds it's shape better when the walls are thicker.
Old 2009-09-27, 10:07am
Formerly Travelin'gal

I can blow shards, but if I see a pretty shard combo for sale, I'd likely try it.

Is it any different than buying frit? Sure I could make my own frit, but I really don't want to. And what about those pretty combos Val and others come up with?

I could also make my own silver glass for that matter, but I sure as heck and not going to do that.

Everyone has different priorities.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2009-09-27, 3:39pm
In spite of it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post

yup.... just my nickels worth.... supporting the folks I like, that have great fun stuff and it causes great connections! What a fun circle of friends to have!

Isn't connecting and making new friends the REAL point?? lol.... OK... well, it is to me!

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2009-09-27, 4:33pm
In spite of it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
I suck @ blowing
~luna
Really??? Jeez... I would never have thought THAT!

Hugs!

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2009-09-27, 4:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Nichols View Post
Really??? Jeez... I would never have thought THAT!

Hugs!
Well, think about it Ruf....

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-10-12, 10:46pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Bump. What size hollow mandrel do I need to purchase to blow shards? I am itching to try this............

Old 2009-10-12, 11:11pm
Ad astra per aspera

I know how to make them, I'm not too bad at it, either, but I'd much rather spend my time making beads than blowing shards. Half the year, I have very limited bead-making time, and I prefer to make beads, not components. In the winter I spend a lot of time pulling stringer and making twisties. I cheerfully buy shards and murrini from those more talented and more willing, because it saves me time. Same reason I buy pasta and bread.