Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2012-12-18, 7:54pm

Default Bethlehem Bravo Footpedal Questions

Ok so just got my Bravo torch and want to build a footpedal with electric type solenoids. I found a couple videos on youtube but they dont really show exactly how to connect the hoses, I realize obviously that the "in" side of solenoid should be the side from the oxy/propane tank...I assume anyhow. Then from there I'm lost, I think you come off the "out" side of first valve with hose, green for oxy / then off the second valve ,red for propane, it's when I get to the torch with four hoses I'm not sure how they connect there. Maybe I'll figure it out when its in front of me but any help now is appreciated.

I posted the links to both videos at the bottom of this thread. Also is it better to buy a " rock it" foot pedal as opposed to building an electric one. I really would like to save a bit of $$ by building my own as opposed to dropping another 480 bucks for the premade one. Any help is appreciated. I've never connected a footpedal so I'm footpedal illiterate (I do have a master electrician to wire stuff for me so I won't electrocute anyone....namely myself lol). Thanx for the help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2jCtS5hJLc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rH8ZFH5AN0
Old 2012-12-18, 8:23pm
honorary bead lady

If you are on tanks you need a splitter before the foot pedal and hook the "out" side of the foot pedal to the outer ring and the spliter before to the inner ring on both O2 and propane

If you are an oxycon and a tank than the oxycon goes to the center fire, the tanked o2 is not split and goes thru the foot pedal. The propane is split and goes to the center fire and thru the foot pedal to the outers
Old 2012-12-18, 8:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
If you are on tanks you need a splitter before the foot pedal and hook the "out" side of the foot pedal to the outer ring and the spliter before to the inner ring on both O2 and propane

If you are an oxycon and a tank than the oxycon goes to the center fire, the tanked o2 is not split and goes thru the foot pedal. The propane is split and goes to the center fire and thru the foot pedal to the outers
I am on tanks and my footswitch I will be building is electrical so I believe it controls the open / close of the solenoids. So what you are sayin is I need "Y" connectors after hose comes from the "output" side of the soleniod as in second video I posted? Sorry I'm confused David. Anyone got a diagram lol?
Old 2012-12-18, 8:51pm
honorary bead lady

Like this
Attached Images

Old 2012-12-18, 10:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Like this
ok so you split one oxy one propane before it goes through the footpedal/ solenoids these are for the inner ring> correct?

so the outer rings go through the solenoid so when I click footpedal the outer ring is on with inner ring at the same time, then click again and outer ring is off but center fire remains on > correct?

I think I get it thank you. Oh if anyone else has done one of the electric solenoid ones feel free to chime in anything else of value thanx again David

Last edited by caliglassguy; 2012-12-18 at 10:25pm. Reason: mis spelling
Old 2012-12-18, 10:40pm
Alaska Boro

See Melting Pot for a tutorial and parts list. You must be a member to view. The last page is the picture tutorial.

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30460

Then this for more information.

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...ake-Foot-Pedal!

Last edited by Alaska; 2012-12-19 at 2:38am.
Old 2012-12-19, 9:13am
Gentleman of Leisure

Basics of foot switch....

Here is setup for 4 stud...

Oxygen side...

Fuel side...

One must observe the "in" and "out" of solenoids, which I failed to indicate on drawings...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2012-12-19, 11:09am
Gentleman of Leisure

Also if you choose to try and save a few dollars you can eliminate some of the "B" fittings, couplers and nipples and use appropriate sized barbed connectors with appropriate clamps directly into "tee" or "elbow" fittings....

Dale

Old 2012-12-19, 12:21pm

Thank you Alaska and Dale for the great info ...gonna start ordering parts later this week ..
Old 2012-12-19, 1:27pm
I'm meeeeelting

Just to make sure it's clear, if you use a hook up like the one in Dale's drawing, you don't need y-connectors. The tee connector serves the same purpose of dividing your oxy and propane and sending part of the volume through the solenoid while the other portion bypasses it.

Also, you can get a foot switch at Harbor Freight for under $15 that is pre-wired. You can use an extension cord for your wires, if you want to make it easy. Cut off the female end discard it, cut off two short lengths for wiring the solenoids and then use the remaining long piece with the female plug to wire to the solenoids and plug into the HF foot switch.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2012-12-19 at 1:43pm.
Old 2012-12-19, 8:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Basics of foot switch....

Here is setup for 4 stud...

Oxygen side...

Fuel side...

One must observe the "in" and "out" of solenoids, which I failed to indicate on drawings...

Dale
So just to be sure I have it right, the first drawing is what I need for a new bethlehem bravo torch and the other two drawings is what I'd use if I owned a Kobuki torch with three different rings of fire?

Last edited by caliglassguy; 2012-12-19 at 8:53pm. Reason: mis spelling
Old 2012-12-19, 11:17pm
I'm meeeeelting

Exactly.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2012-12-20, 2:34pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Yup, you got it. BTW you are gonna love you Bravo with a foot pedal!
Old 2012-12-20, 9:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
Yup, you got it. BTW you are gonna love you Bravo with a foot pedal!
Thank you I'm sure I will love it too and its bigger brother the Champion when it comes out next year I will be getting one
Old 2012-12-22, 11:56am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Felicia knows her s...tuff! She and Stacy have built a bunch of pedals and all have worked out great!
Old 2013-02-26, 9:53pm

Just got my Bravo last week. Cant wait to build this as well.
Old 2013-02-27, 7:31am
I fart diamonds

Here's a switch that doesn't use solenoids and cost less than $20:

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...king-solenoids!!

Old 2013-02-27, 10:03pm

While I can see the convenience of this device, does having a lever system really make it that much faster than just turning the knobs a tiny bit?
Old 2013-02-27, 10:56pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassAlias View Post
While I can see the convenience of this device, does having a lever system really make it that much faster than just turning the knobs a tiny bit?
When you're working with both hands, it makes a huge difference.

Old 2013-02-28, 4:33am
Now part of the Dark Side

I LOVE my foot pedal, best investment after my torch. You still have to adjust your flame but you can get that extra heat with just a press of the foot.
Old 2013-02-28, 7:23am
Gentleman of Leisure

Whole idea of foot pedals was to get away from knobs, levers and cumbersome valves..... Its not a cost issue its a convenience issue....

Dale

Old 2013-02-28, 8:17am

that was kind of the perspective i was coming from dale. quick press with my foot bam fire.
awkward lifting of my leg..... not a deal breaker...but not as nice for me.

still for $20-25 its definitely useful for tight budgets. guess ill sleep on it and decide in a day or two which way i want to go.
Old 2013-02-28, 8:23am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Whole idea of foot pedals was to get away from knobs, levers and cumbersome valves..... Its not a cost issue its a convenience issue....

Dale
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassAlias View Post
that was kind of the perspective i was coming from dale. quick press with my foot bam fire.
awkward lifting of my leg..... not a deal breaker...but not as nice for me.

still for $20-25 its definitely useful for tight budgets. guess ill sleep on it and decide in a day or two which way i want to go.
The placement of the lever is up to you. If you read further in the thread, you'll see where someone made it shorter and lower to use with their foot.

As far as price goes, that's not really the point of this option. The point was to eliminate the use of electricity. The price is just a bonus.

Old 2013-02-28, 9:03am

I read the whole thread hence my comment about awkward leg lifting. Doesnt matter how low you mount this you still gotta lift your leg up some to open the valve(s) all the way.
But like i said previously its not a deal breaker for me. Just one aspect to consider if i go this route.
And MY only reason for going this route would be money. I have no fear of wiring/electricity. But I am afraid to spend money.
Old 2013-03-02, 1:22pm

After i read that post this is what i built to use with my CC. Its not so much to look at but it works like a charm. I just rest my foot on it when im at the torch and i have it where i can reach it easily when im standing.
I also placed the oxygen lever just a little below the fuel lever so that by moving the pedal just a little bit it turns on just the oxygen to the outer ring. Running a little oxy thru the outer makes the inner flame really hot.
As i move my foot down the fuel comes into the outer ring and the flame gets bigger the more i push it down. At first its narrow smaller and i have total control of how big the outer flame is.
Here are a few pics.

Name:  IMG_0207.JPG
Views: 2464
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0206.JPG
Views: 2456
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0205.JPG
Views: 2258
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0214.JPG
Views: 2472
Size:  70.3 KB
Old 2013-03-03, 2:15pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
After i read that post this is what i built to use with my CC. Its not so much to look at but it works like a charm. I just rest my foot on it when im at the torch and i have it where i can reach it easily when im standing.
I also placed the oxygen lever just a little below the fuel lever so that by moving the pedal just a little bit it turns on just the oxygen to the outer ring. Running a little oxy thru the outer makes the inner flame really hot.
As i move my foot down the fuel comes into the outer ring and the flame gets bigger the more i push it down. At first its narrow smaller and i have total control of how big the outer flame is.
Here are a few pics.

Attachment 135201

Attachment 135202

Attachment 135203

Attachment 135204
Nice!

Old 2013-03-04, 11:57pm

Now that is one nice option for this setup khan. I think you have just convinced me into this.

Question: Do you keep the knobs on the torch wide open and use the pedal to control the outer flame completely or do you open the torch knobs to a size flame you commonly use and use the pedal for minor adjustments?

Last edited by GlassAlias; 2013-03-05 at 12:00am.
Old 2013-03-05, 2:59pm

Yes i am constantly readjusting the knobs on the outer flame of the torch depending on what im doing. Like today i was doing some small stuff and only needed a medium sized outer flame when i turned it on. So, i adjusted the torch outer fire for the most i am going to need and i just use my foot to go up to that setting.
If you decide to build one
Id love to see what you come up with if you do build your own and i would be happy to give you some measurements that i used or just answer any questions you have.
Another thing is that i did change a few things to make them work better on mine that i would be glad to show and tell you about. Nothing major but a few small improvements.

Khan
Old 2013-03-05, 3:17pm
I'm meeeeelting

GlassAlias, you turn on the outer and adjust it to sort of your average use flame, then hit the foot pedal to shut it off. That way when you turn it back on with the pedal you'll have the flame you're most likely to want. You may still make adjustments with the knobs for a larger or smaller outer fire or more/less propane to oxy ratio. Keep in mind that however it's set when you turn it off with the foot switch will be what it's at when you hit the pedal again to turn it back on.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2013-03-05, 10:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
GlassAlias, you turn on the outer and adjust it to sort of your average use flame, then hit the foot pedal to shut it off. That way when you turn it back on with the pedal you'll have the flame you're most likely to want. You may still make adjustments with the knobs for a larger or smaller outer fire or more/less propane to oxy ratio. Keep in mind that however it's set when you turn it off with the foot switch will be what it's at when you hit the pedal again to turn it back on.
Yeah thats what I kind of figured. I only asked because this is not the same as a solonoid pedal where when you hit the footswitch the solonoid is "open" all the way. This pedal is opening a valve and I was wondering if it was feasable to adjust the flame with the pedal after initially opening the valves on the torch.

@Khan - Yeah I would love to see your improvements as well. I plan on building this within the next couple of week and if youve made it better and are willing to share I might as well start there.

I just wanted to add that I am in love with my Bravo. Im glad I decided to make the small upgrade from a Lynx and I cannot wait to get a pedal hooked up.

Last edited by GlassAlias; 2013-03-05 at 10:49pm.