TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Who do you think is the BEST glass vendor?
Arrow Springs 213 19.02%
CR & Loo, Inc 17 1.52%
Frantz Art Glass 421 37.59%
Howaco Glass 147 13.13%
islandglass!!! 88 7.86%
Jo-Del Glass 47 4.20%
LBSupplies 113 10.09%
Moretti and More 208 18.57%
Sundance Art Glass 38 3.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-12-18, 10:10pm
geekitude on two wheels

Artistry in Glass was great this last order & their pricing is fabulous (mostly). Quick, well packaged - and I like that they label their glass without paint tape or stickers. http://www.artistryinglass.on.ca/
Old 2007-12-27, 7:19pm

Quote:
Seems to me, all other things being equal (like price and nice folks and good service) then the issue is, how much is the carbon footprint to ship? The environmentalist in me says it's best to order from the supplier closest to home. Just my 2-rods worth... ~Jenny
That's a nice idea but if you are buying Italian glass, 99% is coming from Frantz Glass who is the main importer from Italy. So you might want to factor that in to your calculations instead.
Old 2008-01-01, 5:04pm
oxygen deprived

I've had some very good and some very bad experiences, and I've ordered from a number of places. Jodel once shipped my glass to my billing address by mistake, but they quickly fixed it and had the box redelivered to the correct address. Frantz shipped an order later than expected, so they included on their own volition a few rods of new odd lots that weren't even for sale yet. (Woot!)

Olympic Color, however, was the WORST experience I've ever had. They did the same thing Jodel had done - ignored the shipping address, and shipped to the billing address instead - but they handled it very very poorly. The box ended up spending a MONTH in transit... they accidentally sent it back to the West coast! ...so long, that by the time it arrived back in Washington my school year was over and I no longer had an address where I could receive a package (traveling).

Then, I placed a reorder a few months later when I was back in school, and they managed to mix up the items I ordered, sending me the wrong quantities of things. I've come to the conclusion that Olympic Color is an AWFUL company to deal with, based on the fact that they were most unhelpful when I called about the problems with my order, and never managed to resolve the problems with either screwed up order.

I'd rather pay more for my Reichenbach & Zimmerman cane elsewhere than deal with them again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(no beads for sale yet - but some pics of old work)
Old 2008-01-10, 1:46pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutycat View Post
Artistry in Glass was great this last order & their pricing is fabulous (mostly). Quick, well packaged - and I like that they label their glass without paint tape or stickers. http://www.artistryinglass.on.ca/
PLUS!!!

They take paypal for payment!!!
This helps me immensely, because i'm TRYING not to USE my credit cards, and transferring money around is annoying and takes time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ellyloo; 2008-01-10 at 1:54pm.
Old 2008-01-10, 3:51pm
geekitude on two wheels

I just got an order from Beadysam http://www.beadysamglass.com/ & it was fabulous - she really went out of her way to make my day. Even though my order was not even 10$ she included some samples. I had asked for stamps to be used if possible (for dd & my collection) & she picked out a really nice assortment of stamps for the package, and even included a few from her mail inside the package! Postage was not expensive at all, surprisingly. I'll definately be ordering again!
Old 2008-01-10, 6:12pm
Against the Grain

My favorite these days is Frantz. I’ve been buying from them for a long time, so I totally understand some of the lingering negative feelings people have because of their website. I also had my credit and debit card information stolen and used years ago and it took a long time to get over that bad experience. However, it seems to me that things have improved dramatically during the last year. The website it getting better all the time and on the rare occasion that I do have a problem, I know that I can just pick up the phone and all will be taken care of. Anybody who still thinks their website is bad should have another look. The staff at Frantz has been extremely friendly and helpful. One of the things that has frustrated me the most about buying lampworking supplies in the past is having to order from several different vendors in order to get everything that I need. Frantz seems to have almost everything I need when I need it lately, so I go there first. I live in Washington, so UPS ground shipments usually arrive the next business day. Glass has been well packaged, and I’ve never received anything broken. A couple of times I had items missing or defective, but these problems were promptly resolved and there was no hassle for me other than a quick phone call.

Old 2008-01-11, 1:29pm
Peerless Thread Killer

I have ordered from Wale, and they were great service-wise, but when I compare their pricing with Arrow Springs and Frantz, they seem to be way higher...
Anyone care to comment?

Old 2008-01-11, 10:14pm

http://www.Mountainglassarts.com by far has the best customer service I have had in the last 5 years! I buy alot of glass , have bought 3 torches from them and tools.Frantz is #2 all the way and other than that I have seen sad service.
The reason these two are at the top on my list is because in my dealings with them they have gone well beyond the call of duty in specific transactions and have never messed up an order! With Frantz I have had only one experience with them and that was purchasing a torch, but this was a very frustrating transaction from both sides because my bank made an error in my business account and it took about six phone calls and two trips to the bank and they were very polite the entire time, happy to help AND got the torch shipped out that day!
I have had many dealings with Mountain Glass Art and every single time I have gotten outstanding service! One time in particular I bought a second Barracuda for my shop and when I got it one of the valves was leaking so bad it sounded like a gun shot every time I turned on the outerfire, I called Bethlehem and I'm sure you know they told me to send it in to them and wait for them to fix it. I needed this torch when I got it so this was not an option. I called up Mountain Glass Art and told them the situation and asked them if I overnighted the torch to them and paid the difference if I could upgrade to a Tiger Shark and have them overnight it to me.They said once they got the torch if everything was like I said that they would do it.Two days later I had a Tiger Shark producing glass and they never hesitated and were happy to help!
Old 2008-02-25, 3:41pm

We opened online in October and have been growing and growing and growing. Most orders go out the same or the next day and we are adding more glass all the time.
The online store is Flamedame.com.Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-02-26, 12:14am
Redbearmountain

Hello,

I have to vote for Moretti and More plus Howaco Glass! Both offer outstanding customer service! This is where I buy most of my glass. They have good prices and fast shipping! Very pleasant people to work with! Jacque
Old 2008-02-26, 6:43am

Yep, I'm north of the border too and Artistry in Glass are my favourite

Old 2008-02-26, 10:17am

Default What about delphi glass?!

ive found them to be very helpful, informative and not too costly
Old 2008-02-26, 9:14pm
I speak Murrini!

Hey!!!! Where's one of my favorites? Reenie, who runs Flame Kissed Glass http://www.flamekissedglass.com/index.php, has great customer service as well as fast, safe shipping, great prices, and was able to get those wonderful Reichenbach 104 colors, especially that fabulous "Opal Raspberry" (one of my very favorite Pinks EVER!) for me in a flash!

Putting in the good word for her!!!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-02-27, 3:20pm
too many rods in the fire

Default My vote goes to Arrow Springs!

Craig and Donna are the absolute BEST! Customer service is wonderful, and they have classes as well as glass and some of the best tools in the business. I just love them!

Old 2008-02-27, 7:31pm
geekitude on two wheels

I can't say enough about Artistry in glass - I've put in a few orders via the web & have never had to talk to anyone, it just shows up a few days later, beautifully packed and just what I wanted. I asked for a new color & they ordered it for me, and were back to me about it in hours. Too perfect! Really, the best people I know of to deal with in the East for a great selection and great prices.
Old 2008-03-11, 12:41pm

I agree about Mountain Glass Arts. They have the best possible customer service. I was going to order an M-15 Oxygen Concentrator from Carlisle where I got my torch. For the second time I get a very friendly guy on the line who loves to talk, makes promises and never follows through. So this time I was annoyed and called Mountain Arts Glass. They answered all my questions, got me a concentrator within days even though they had none in stock. When it was damaged in shipment they were terrific and helped make everything right. Every time I have ordered from Mountain Arts Glass I have the item the next day. Now I live in the same state so that helps. But they get it in the mail the day you order it!. The only customer service that is as good is Rio Grande.
Old 2008-03-11, 2:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marley View Post
I agree about Mountain Glass Arts. They have the best possible customer service. I was going to order an M-15 Oxygen Concentrator from Carlisle where I got my torch. For the second time I get a very friendly guy on the line who loves to talk, makes promises and never follows through. So this time I was annoyed and called Mountain Arts Glass. They answered all my questions, got me a concentrator within days even though they had none in stock. When it was damaged in shipment they were terrific and helped make everything right. Every time I have ordered from Mountain Arts Glass I have the item the next day. Now I live in the same state so that helps. But they get it in the mail the day you order it!. The only customer service that is as good is Rio Grande.
I'll second that! Mountain glass Arts is an excellent company! they are fast and good and professional. i love them!
Old 2008-03-11, 2:21pm
super newb!

Default mountain glass arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinabeadalina View Post
Hey, ya gotta add MountainGlassArts to your list, because they are awesome! When I was looking to get started last fall, Chris practically held my hand over the phone for almost 3 months before I ordered everything at Christmas time! He suggested the best book to get me started, then answered questions off and on for a couple of months while I was saving the money to buy torch, kiln, glass, etc. When I finally got everything set up in February, then he had to start answering glass questions They are super nice! I can ask them about what color the orange actually is this time, and they'll go look and describe it. Just can't say enough about how helpful and pleasant they are!
Absolutely... they are incredably nice, quick and I just think they are the dog's tuxedo! will give you honest and pretty reliable answers to any questions you may have and will admit when they don't know something (which is rare!!) instead of making stuff up. Hooray Mountain Glass!
Old 2008-03-11, 4:13pm

The best is not on the list for the poll. that would be GA. I swear thast those ladies would stand on their heads and sing nursery rhymes if thats what it took to make the customer happy.
Old 2008-03-14, 10:50am
California grrl

Default Haven't ordered from all of them but ...

YES GA rox ~ They replaced bad diamond clear for me I got from ABR, they are so awesome! The others: Frantz takes almost 3 weeks to get here, Wale is too expensive, LBS supply gets here fast and their prices are good ! I am unhappy with ABR, not only they are slowww but most important I paid over $1,000 for a oxycon and torch set up but they send me the wrong hoses and charged me for sending new ones !?? Wont order from them again ....

Last edited by WILDFYRE; 2008-03-14 at 10:53am. Reason: spellin
Old 2008-03-14, 4:39pm
Wendy

I've got to throw another approval for Mountain Glass Arts in here. Absolutely the best customer service and because I'm in NC I can order one day and have it the next. Way too good to pass up.

I also placed an order with Moretti and More for a studio stocker recently and could not have been happier with their customer service. Bill returned a call from me on a Sunday to talk with me about the order, stayed on the phone with me while I placed the order and sent some extras in the package to boot! I'll definitely be back to order more!

I've ordered from Frantz and been happy. They sent me one of the wrong color and when I let them know, replaced it and let me keep the wrong one. Can't be mad about free glass.

I ordered my oxy con, hoses, regulators and flashback arrestors from ABR. I placed my order over the phone and they called me back when they figured out the shipping cost. Everything arrived safe and sound but when I called to ask about not getting a seal with my regulator (I'm new, this happens zillions of times I'm sure) the only thing they asked was did I tighten it good and then said send it back to them and if it still happens when they get it they'll send me a new one. I didn't want to be without it so went and swapped out propane tanks to see if it was the tank and voila.. no more leak! This wasn't a problem with them or the products I bought from them, but I was underwhelmed by the people I got on the phone that afternoon.

I'm still in my first year with lampwork so I haven't ordered from a ton of places so for what it's worth there are my experiences.

Wendy

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2008-03-14, 5:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutycat View Post
I can't say enough about Artistry in glass
Same here. I've ordered from them a few times. I live way up north. My orders arrive usually within a week of when I paid; the shipping is reasonable; their prices are great; they take Paypal; I've never had a single rod arrive broken; and when I got a bad bottle of bead release, they replaced it with a different brand no questions asked. Their service is excellent, plus no hassles with exchange rates or customs!

I've also ordered from Moretti Glass Canada with no problems. Their selection seems to be expanding recently.

I get all my Lauscha glass from Grace at Lauscha Lady. Fabulous service. She was very helpful when my computer challenged mother wanted to buy me a gift certificate for Christmas!

Tamara

Last edited by Glacier; 2008-03-14 at 5:44pm.
Old 2008-03-21, 3:52pm
moth to the flame

I just placed my first order with Bridgetown Glass and it was smooth as silk and lightning fast shipping! Breezy did great and since I am now playing with uboros 96 glass I can recommend tham and for sure will be back!

Jon and Renate at LBSupply are always great with fast shipping too.

We have a lot of great sellers out there.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2008-04-09, 2:16pm
glass junkie

In Australia - Lily at HotBeadBox is really, really fast; and she refunds shipping overages if your order packs down to less than what the cart calculates. My glass generally arrives the very next day if I order before lunchtime (and often has a couple of freebie rods in it), and I'm interstate from Lily.
Old 2008-04-18, 11:42am
Karen James

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietSky View Post
Absolutely... they are incredably nice, quick and I just think they are the dog's tuxedo! will give you honest and pretty reliable answers to any questions you may have and will admit when they don't know something (which is rare!!) instead of making stuff up. Hooray Mountain Glass!
I don't post often, but I just received my second order from them and like them enough that I felt I wanted to add my praise as well. Great company, great customer service.

Karen

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2008-04-18, 9:15pm
Lover of Life

Default Yay Artistry In Glass!

Oops, I'm getting too enthusiastic. My feedback for AIG is down a couple of posts...

Last edited by bexrox; 2008-04-19 at 11:11am. Reason: Cus I'm an idiot.
Old 2008-04-18, 10:49pm

Default My vote goes to Arrow Springs!

My vote goes to Arrow Springs!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Craig and Donna are the absolute BEST! Customer service is wonderful, and they have classes as well as glass and some of the best tools in the business. I just love them!

I agree wholeheartedly!!! They are the best! I am attending a 2 day class with Cynthia Tilker starting tomorrow. Craig offers so much to the glass working community, even holds open torch days for ISGB and NorCal Bead Society groups. We are very fortunate to have Craig and Donna on the West coast.

Suzanne
Old 2008-04-19, 11:10am
Lover of Life

Thumbs up Yay Artistry in Glass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyloo View Post
PLUS!!!

They take paypal for payment!!!
This helps me immensely, because i'm TRYING not to USE my credit cards, and transferring money around is annoying and takes time.
Yes, another plus for Artistry in Glass!

Can't say enough about this place. I've made two substantial orders from them, and a couple of smaller ones. Not one mistake, everything labeled nicely, have added stuff to my order that I emailed them about because I forgot to put it in my cart, easy to log in and check the status of my order, quick to process, quick to ship, all that stuff that's important! Good stock, and their prices are great on some stuff, comparable on some, and a little higher on others. Being in Canada, however, any difference in merchandise price goes unnoticed when I consider cost of shipping and duties from the US. It's much cheaper for me this way.

Becky
Old 2008-04-26, 4:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliac View Post
I had a great experience at Jodel this summer. Monique was extremly kind and her daughter bent over backwards to help me! I didn't know that it is not a store but a home with the top floor dedicated to incredible amounts of beautiful glass! She even offered to let me try some new glass she had just received and gifted me with a wonderful rare orange. On top of that, she let my kids swim in her pool and gave me an iced coffee!!
I use both Jodel's and mountain glass.Jodels has a nice selection and the plus of nice pics of beads done with the colors.Monique actually calls me with any issues and I'm not what you could call a big spender.Anyone who's done business with her knows the same warm,fuzzy feeling for her.By the way,Monique's been thru a very rough patch health-wise and is back full tilt.Drop her a an e-mail and brighten a nice womens day.(jodelglass@cox.net ) Maybe an order while your there!
Mountain Glass is hard to beat.Order before 1:30 pm and the order can ship that day.Does'nt get much sweeter than that!

Kevin
Old 2008-04-30, 3:39pm
Who me?

All thing being equal I will be a return customer to the best price and the best packaging. I usually buy everything from Arrow Springs but was recently lured by "new" and "scarce" to try two others. Bad mistake - AS, I'll be back - SOON.

Let's see, one of them taped 3 pound bundles together with 2 inch wide tape that left a residue.

The other decided that less is more and used the weakest rubber bands imaginable to bundle 3 pounds of glass and the entire shipment of glass was loosely wrapped in bubble wrap inside statically charged tiny pieces of peanuts - rods fell out and broke as I was taking the bundle out of the box - are better rubber bands really that much more expensive and would it hurt to bundle no more than one pound with them at a time.

I hate peanuts but when they are crushed so small, they follow the cat around the house for days, it's time to stop reusing peanuts.