Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-05-10, 10:12pm

Default BE Copper Green help please

I did a search for BE copper green but this search engine doesn't like BE...too short

So I would like to see some beads using the BE copper green reducing rods.

I like it... I just haven't found a way of using it yet...OK I only played with it for 30 minutes but ...for me that is wayyyyyyyyy too long.
I tried putting it over some BE opals...really nothing great...and it seems to reduce very easily...
Pictures would be great ...suggestions would be wonderful )))

Beads galore at my ebay store!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!
Old 2008-05-12, 9:35am
Glass-aholic

I don't have any of the copper green reducing rods but I have had others and it is really easy to get them to reduce. just make our bead normal and flash in a reducing flame a few seconds. It is a reducing rod, it is supposed to reduce easily. You can try to encase the reduction for a different effect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-05-12, 10:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
I don't have any of the copper green reducing rods but I have had others and it is really easy to get them to reduce. just make our bead normal and flash in a reducing flame a few seconds. It is a reducing rod, it is supposed to reduce easily. You can try to encase the reduction for a different effect.
When you reduce, do you cover the holes in your HH? What part of the flame do you use?

Appreciate your help.
Old 2008-05-12, 10:56am
Glass-aholic

yes I cover the holes, but... The HH is a natural reduction flame as it is. sometimes just cooling the bead and holding it at the side edges of the flame is enough.

I cut up a grilling foil bag and wrapped it around the holes. once you get it formed it is easy to just push it down the shaft when not using it, and push it up when you want it.

Be sure to not burn yourself on the torch or the foil, and turn your flame down low. Using a reduction flame make the flame itself bigger by ALOT.

when you are ready to reduce your bead cool it and wave it in and out of the flame just a few times. You can over reduce it, and/or burn off the reduction if you get it too hot, or put it back into the regular more neutral flame. This is the tricky part.. you can reduce, and encase for really neat effects, melt in your encasing slowly so you don't burn out the reduction. after a few times you will be a pro!

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-05-12, 11:10am

Thank you so much!! I just got a bunch of black nebula and tried some of it last weekend. It was ok but not really striking - I think I got it waaaay to hot.

Back to the torch...

Thanks again.
Old 2008-05-12, 11:16am
Glass-aholic

on a HH I doubt you got it too hot. I can hardly ever heat most striking glass hot enough, never mind over heating...

Old 2008-05-12, 11:58pm
offically down under

BE copper green is a luster.

Old 2008-05-13, 5:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
BE copper green is a luster.
and your point is???

Old 2008-05-13, 6:47am

I don't use that much BE but after it's reduced can't you etch it to remove the dark blackish film on it. As I said I don't use that much BE so I don't know if it can be etched at all
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2008-05-13, 8:07am
Glass-aholic

The point of reducing it it to get the film. If you did not want the film you could just not reduce it.

Old 2008-05-13, 11:55am

I like the copper luster with any of the reactive ivory colors, non reduced. It does the typical copper/sulfer dark line thing, plus it opacifies unevenly & interestingly.

|
Old 2008-05-13, 12:58pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

We need to get LyndaJ in this thread - she makes some gorgeous beads with this color.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-05-14, 7:57pm

partially reduced

lightly etched

Bullseye copper green (luster) will strike to a opaque color when it's worked for a while in the flame. It reduces (for me at least) to a rich golden bronze color. It's not reactive to silver, and plays nicely with the other luster colors. These two beads have copper foil in them. It's what give the blueish transparent veining.

None of the other luster colors react like this that I've seen. You can strike (really strike, not reduce) the hematite to a tan-blue-pinkish color. But it's many minutes of striking.

Last edited by LyndaJ; 2008-05-14 at 8:00pm.