Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

View Poll Results: Do you have propane tank(s) in your house?
Yes, but only a maximum of 2 one-pound tanks 76 10.60%
Yes, I keep my BBQ tank right next to me in the studio. 212 29.57%
No, it always stays outside. I run the lines through a door/window. 247 34.45%
No, it always stays outside. I have a plumbed line through the wall. 182 25.38%
Voters: 717. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-02-08, 9:23am
Gentleman of Leisure

Some people have claim that they use a RUBBER MAID garden hose reel housing and gut the interior and place tank inside...

How about this.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...d=HPProd100706

Maybe something like this on porch....

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...d=HPProd100687

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-02-08, 9:24am
Safety ALWAYS

By the way, if you found the information in this thread helpful, please rate it!

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-02-08, 9:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
By the way, if you found the information in this thread helpful, please rate it!
Absolutely! I actually meant to do that so thanks for reminding me. People are idiots! Off to rate it the 5 starts it totally deserves....
Old 2007-02-08, 9:48am

Dale, I don't have the tank on the porch. Picture this:
I live in a colonial. Walk out my back door in the kitchen and you're on the large porch. Off to the right is the deck, in front of you (in the yard, lower than the porch) is the biult0in pool and the hot tub. To your immediate left, is a screen door with stairs leading to the back yard/side yard. When you get to the bottom of the stairs, if you turn 180 degrees to the right, the tank is on the ground on the side of/kind of underneath those stairs, attached to the lattice that decorates and encloses under the porch.

I absolutely love your idea of the bench so much more than the trash can! (The trash can is an excellent idea! I'm speaking of aestethic values... rather have a nice bench than a trash can.) It would be beautiful. But I think I'd have to do a bit of grading before it would sit nicely. Also, the septic cap is right there, so the off to the left of the tank the ground is much lower and has some railroad ties surrounding the area. There is room for the bench but the area would need some work first.

I really, really LOVE the idea though. Thanks so much. I love it for other areas of my yard, too! You guys are going to get me in trouble... all I want to do is spend a bunch of $$$ to fix up the entire outside!
Old 2007-02-08, 9:52am

Dale,
By the way... rubbermaid garden hose reel housing? I have one of these (I think) and can't see how that would work at all. Unless you're speaking of something totally different. I have a reel for the hose, with a handle on the side that you turn by hand to reel the hose up. You have to be talking about something more elaborate?? I just don't get it!
Old 2007-02-08, 11:33am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramag View Post
Dale,
By the way... rubbermaid garden hose reel housing? I have one of these (I think) and can't see how that would work at all. Unless you're speaking of something totally different. I have a reel for the hose, with a handle on the side that you turn by hand to reel the hose up. You have to be talking about something more elaborate?? I just don't get it!
The one I am referring to is like a square plastic box with a lid (and reel is inside) and has sort of a wood grained siding or lapped pattern on outside...

Just gut reel and handle and place tank inside...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-02-08 at 11:38am.
Old 2007-02-08, 1:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
The one I am referring to is like a square plastic box with a lid (and reel is inside) and has sort of a wood grained siding or lapped pattern on outside...

Just gut reel and handle and place tank inside...

Dale

Ah ha! Thanks Dale. The pic is perfect. I have the one without the box. I didn't know they came like this, too.
Once I gut it, I would hope that I could use the insides as a regular reel for one of my other hoses? Or am I going to destroy it?
Old 2007-02-08, 6:17pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Don't know, have never done this project.

Dale

Old 2007-02-13, 3:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
You CAN use single one pound tanks in the house. Current code allows for a maximum of two full one pound tanks in a residence. There is no real problem using them in a basement, provided you have good ventilation.
This thread was a wonderful tool for those of us with more excitement then experience, (ME ME) thank you so much this was the question I wanted answerd and I read all of the others so when I do get a larger tank and put more into my studio I will know what I am doing. Thank you all.

~
~
Old 2007-02-13, 3:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
Wow. Took me 2 hours to get through this entire thread.

Lots of good info. Thanks Dale & Mike.
I agree it took awile but was well worth my time compared to my life and the lives of those I love THANKS!

~
~
Old 2007-02-13, 4:09pm
Safety ALWAYS

Give it a good rating!!

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-02-13, 5:21pm

I gave it the best I promise! LOL!

~
~
Old 2007-03-18, 4:26pm

Mike and Dale:

I'm a relative newbie to lampworking -- been doing it off and on for a while. I've always had the tank in the house, but after reading this thread, it is going outside IMMEDIATELY!!

At some point in the future, I'd like to switch to natural gas, so I'd rather not drill a hole through the wall. I'd rather run the hose out the door and disconnect it each time I finish a session. Would installing quick-connectors work for this? If so, where in the line would you put them? Right now I have it set up as tank -- regulator -- flashback arrestor -- hose. Would the quick-connectors go between the regulator and the flashback arrestor or between the flasbhack arrestor and the hose? Also if this will work, is there a place you that you recommend over any other to get the quick-connectors?

Thanks,
Cris

Last edited by CrisF; 2007-03-18 at 4:27pm. Reason: Remove title -- put in by accident
Old 2007-03-19, 7:01am
Safety ALWAYS

I'd get the regulator side QD's, myself. Then you just coil up the hose and put it inside your work area when you are done. Most any welding supply shop will have them in stock, they are a standard item.

Old 2007-03-19, 6:41pm

Thank you, Mike. I'll check out our local hardware and welding shops this weekend.

I gave this thread the highest marks. Thanks again for all of the wonderful information. I wish this site had been around when I first started doing lampwork!!!!

Cris
Old 2007-03-22, 2:55pm
Living out Loud

Last night I put my propane cannister outside. I finally got the message that it could explode in the house and kill me and burn my house down. Is that what you are saying? Thanks to all of you who continue to beat the drum for safety. It wasn't hard at all. Thanks a lot.
Old 2007-03-23, 6:16am
Safety ALWAYS

That's the message! Thanks for taking that easy step.

Old 2007-04-13, 12:38am

Read the whole thread. Thanks for all the good information, I already knew it wasn't safe, but now I know why. Keep it coming, because this just found, current article.
http://hotglass.com/gifs/v20n6_Basic...Setting_Up.pdf

Bulk propane set-up inside. Could be in a shed, but I think its inside the house because she talks about not overloading the household fuses. Regardless, its inside. She talks about keeping the propane outside, but it is pictured inside. And as I read, laws are different in Canada, but the saftey principles are not.

And now I have just joined Hot Glass Forums to link this article's thread to this safety thread.

“Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it
doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
-Elizabeth Zimmerman
Old 2007-04-13, 6:04am
Safety ALWAYS

Yeah....people can be foolish at times.....

Old 2007-04-17, 5:48pm
Formerly SirWatson

Question Dale/Mike! I need your help with fittings! Please?

Hi guys...forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find any reference to it after searching through the 10 pages of information.

So, my studio is nearing completion and I'm stuck on how to get the propane tank piped into my shed.

I've built a really nice box to house my propane, and even drilled a couple of drainage holes in the bottom. I've purchased black iron pipe (and painted it to protect it from the elements), teflon tape for the joints and shut off valves. I have a brand new set of T grade hoses ready for the torch as well as a bulk propane house to connect from the tank to the black iron pipe.

Here's my conundrum...both sets of hoses have LH B fittings (the standard); my black iron pipe is 1/2" in diameter. What fittings do I need to go from the bulk hose to the iron pipe and from the iron pipe/shut off valve to the hoses within my studio? I've purchased countless brass fittings and nothing works!

I want to limit how many connections (coupling/nipples) I have, but I can't find anything that fits into the hoses' B fittings and onto the black pipe. I found some flare fittings that would work great, but the hose nuts aren't flare fittings.

Any advice would be great, because I'm at a total loss and no one at the plumbing supply stores, welding shops or the mega-hardware stores can help!

Thanks,
Karla

<><
Old 2007-04-17, 7:44pm
Gentleman of Leisure

What you need is a "B" fitting.... Its a brass fitting that has a 1/4 inch NPT (National Pipe Thread) threads on one end and has 9/16 X 18UNF LH (Left Hand) threads on other end to fit fuel hose connections. Oxygen "B" fitting are 9/16 x18 UNF RH (Right Hand) thread...

Left hand fittings generally have a groove machined into the "flats" where one would apply a wrench.

The 1/4 inch NPT end can be used with a reducer (standard plumbing item) to adapt it to your 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch pipe/shutoff valve.

Any well equipped welding supplier (gas supplier) should have them in stock. It should only be a couple of dollars. Should also be available on line from some glass or welding suppliers.

Reducer that should fit in end of your shutoff valve (NFPA requirement) on end of iron pipe.

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-04-17 at 8:09pm.
Old 2007-04-17, 8:22pm
Formerly SirWatson

Thanks Dale! The fitting and reducer (also called a bushing?) would work well from the shut off value to the torch, but I think I'll need a coupler to attach the fitting and reducer you pictured with my 1/2" pipe thread (from the regulator/arrestor to the pipe).

Is that correct?

Thanks again!

Karla

<><
Old 2007-04-17, 8:31pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quite possibly.... The reducer or bushing (pick name you prefer) also comes in a version that is a double female. It will fit the male end of shutoff valve and accept male end of "B" fitting (1/4 inch NPT X 1/2 inch NPT). One shown above happens to be a male/female version and would also require a "coupler".

One just usually uses what is easiest to find and assemble in local plumbing or hardware or home improvement store...

Dale

Old 2007-04-17, 8:40pm
Formerly SirWatson

Great! Thanks! I guess the issue I've had has been finding the double male 1/4" NPT x 1/4" B-Type LH. Once I have those fittings, I should be able to find the rest at a local hardware store in the plumbing department as it's all RH threads.

Off to order some fittings!

Thanks again Dale!

<><
Old 2007-04-18, 8:09am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWatson View Post
Great! Thanks! I guess the issue I've had has been finding the double male 1/4" NPT x 1/4" B-Type LH.
That is going to be tough one to find as I believe it probably does not exist.

It's a 1/4-NPT X 9/16 (.5625th) -18UNF (for 1/4 inch hose)....

Also in some places (welding suppliers) you may be able to find the fitting with the "B" side (hose side) that comes in 3/8 inch NPT or 1/2 inch NPT on gas piping side.

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-04-18 at 8:13am.
Old 2007-04-18, 3:17pm
Formerly SirWatson

I worded my last post incorrectly. I said the "b" side was 1/4" when it's not. The measurements you posted (for the "b" fitting) sound correct. What I meant was....I had a hard time finding the fitting you suggested at local welding suppliers, plumbing suppliers and the larger home improvement stores.

Karla

<><
Old 2007-04-18, 6:44pm

I was a believer that all would be well where my tank was stored until about 2 hours ago. I've totally changed my way of thinking after reading all 10 pages! I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, and should do what they feel is best for their situation, but I personally will be getting a container to put my tank outside tomorrow morning. THANK YOU ALL for sharing your knowledge!!!!!!

Old 2007-04-24, 11:17am
Borovangelist

Ok, I've read the entire thread, but I'm just not sure. How is it that it's safe to keep 2 20# containers in my house next to the pilot light of the furnace while I work again?

Kidding

Serious question though, with the plastic Rubbermaid boxes folks seem to like, isn't there a static electricity danger that could ignite the gas? You'd think that the ventilation holes would be enough to vent it all out and seriously reduce the possibility of a problem, but given I've felt the hair on my arm get pulled towards the plastic in summer I'd be a little wary. Seems safer to just keep it out in the elements, a proper storage cage, or even a teeny little propane carport of it's own. If you weren't vigilant about keeping an eye on the box, it's possible for blowing grass and such to build up in or around the box, blocking the vents providing a way for gas to build up, and a potential problem.

Last edited by menty666; 2007-04-24 at 11:18am. Reason: little syntax issue there
Old 2007-04-24, 3:32pm
Safety ALWAYS

I've never had a static problem with mine -- they are kept on the ground, not on a deck or anything, and that may be the issue with yours?

If the holes are in the bottom (base) of the box, then you don't have to worry about blockage.

Old 2007-04-24, 4:10pm
Gentleman of Leisure

IF you have no leaks and if you have it ventilated properly there should not be any buildup of gas to a volatile level. Static charge is probable least thing to worry about...

Dale