Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-02-19, 3:00pm
Um......

Default ASK104 Glass ROD Pics Needed.....Confused!!

Hey all,
Having a conversation with several others beaders regarding the ASK rods and which one is which. We have received unmarked bundles of Silver Cinnamon and Caramel Apple.....and really have no idea which is what color!

Apparently even Arrowsprings have mucked up their colors, sending wrongly labelled colors out, also making us more confused!

If anyone can pls help with posting a pic of the 2 rods, labelled with the correct names?

Thanks heaps!
Carli

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-02-19, 3:16pm
Entropy increasing....

Same problem here! From what I can gather the Silver Cinnamon is the lighter color.
Old 2007-02-19, 3:26pm
I've got goodies!

Caramel Apple is lighter:

http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/ask_104_colors.html

LE members get 5% off all purchases!!
Coupon code LE

Old 2007-02-19, 3:33pm
Entropy increasing....

Caramel is the lighter? This isn't what I bought at Frantz, I'm pretty sure it was the other way around. Darn.
Old 2007-02-19, 3:38pm
Entropy increasing....

From the Frantz website Caramel apple

Silver cinnamon

I can't tell anything from this. When I was there two days ago I remember looking at them and thinking, "That's silver cinnamon? It's so light." The caramel apple is also not the color I got from Arrow Springs which I still have a rod of. I got something much darker. I love it, but it's not the same.

Last edited by Kevan; 2007-02-19 at 3:41pm.
Old 2007-02-19, 4:15pm
Um......

Several months ago I order batches of both colors from Jon, and the darker rod was labelled Silver Cinnamon. But someone else has told me Jon labelled that rod color as Caramel Apple with her order.............

It's bordering on ridiculous!! How can we find out the correct colors?
All suppliers colors dont show the rods.
More importantly, when we order repeat colors...are we going to get the same ones again??! Or are different suppliers going to mix them up?

Old 2007-02-19, 4:20pm

The only one I can tell for sure is Silver Rattan. The rods I have have circles of color when viewed from the end. At least that batch did....

Old 2007-02-19, 4:28pm
Gay rights R human rights

The first batch of caramel apple and silver cinnamon that I got were very different from each other. The apple was most definately lighter. This newest back I got was almost identical. Thank god they were labeled. Now I'm wondering if I got 2lbs of the same glass instead of 1 of each.
Old 2007-02-19, 4:30pm

The silver cinnamon and silver rattan get a silvery sheen, lilac even when reduced, I didn't get that with caramel apple. Also the apple has green tones, the cinnamon has red tones. I find the cinnamon the darkest.

Old 2007-02-19, 5:47pm
I've got goodies!

The link I posted above is to the Arrow Springs site which has the colors posted. The photo of the Caramel Apple is light, just like my rods.

LE members get 5% off all purchases!!
Coupon code LE

Old 2007-02-19, 8:16pm
Um......

So the general consesus is that the darker rod is Silver Cinnamon?

Old 2007-02-19, 8:39pm
More glass...more glass..

Definitely, silver cinnamon is darker than caramel apple. I've ordered silver cinnamon twice from different vendors and it's always looked the same.

What drives me crazy is that silver cinnamon and silver rattan look the same in rod form....the silver rattan is much lighter when used though.

edz

( Nothing available right now )

(Nothing available right now)
Old 2007-02-19, 8:49pm
Storm Queen

Back in December I ordered 1 pound of Silver Cinnamon from Arrow Springs. What I got was 1 pound of Silver Rattan labeled Silver Cinnamon. I could tell the difference immediately. I called and got pretty much a "yeah, right" until they went and double checked. Sure enough someone had stocked the SC bin with SR and it had been like that for at least a week before I caught it for them. So I exchanged the glass to get my pound of SC and guess what? Many of the rods are still SR and I just plain give up. The newer batch of SR is pretty much the same color as SC. SC's end of the rod looks the same, just solid color. SR has circles like tree rings. Also when you pull stringer SC stays the same color. SR gets a little redder and the tip of the stringer and the tip of the rod will be yellowish.

Old 2007-02-19, 8:51pm
Storm Queen

BTW, the last batch of CA that I got was not the same color as the rod pic above which is what my first batch looked like. I haven't melted it yet but it could very well be more SR.

Old 2007-02-19, 10:23pm
Entropy increasing....

I went out and looked at mine. The silver rattan is obviously the lightest. I have 2 rods of a hazelnut brown color labeled silver cinnamon from Arrow Springs. Then I have rods just like those in the pictures Shawnette posted.

Whatever these hazelnut brown ones are, they are pretty cool. I made these beads out of them. It's not the Chameleon because I have some of that too and it's kind of army green.

Last edited by Kevan; 2007-02-19 at 10:25pm.
Old 2007-02-19, 10:29pm
Entropy increasing....

This is from the Chameleon

Old 2007-02-20, 9:29pm

Ok -- anyone have rod pics of chameleon and moroccan swirl? I just got a much lighter batch of the caramel apple than I had before, and my first stab at moroccan swirl is a lighter green than the chameleon. The paddles and beads aren't much help -- I want to see rods!

I suspect this stuff varies enormously batch to batch.

Thanks!
Old 2007-02-20, 10:30pm
Entropy increasing....

Moroccan swirl looks like a kinda waxy greenish ivory. The others all look very opaque.
Old 2007-02-20, 10:49pm

Thanks -- this batch of caramel apple doesn't look nearly as opaque, but it doesn't look like anything else either. I'll melt some tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 2007-02-21, 12:09am
Princess of Pi

pretty beads, Kevan!
Old 2007-02-21, 12:53am
Entropy increasing....

Thanks Barclay. That color, which is marked Silver Cinnamon is decidedly different than any other beads or rods I have seen marked that way. What other color could it be?
Old 2007-02-21, 6:30am
Life is change. Love it

The melted end of my silver cinnamon always looks very reddish, whereas the caramel apple is more caramel. You could try melting then cooling the ends of the rods.

Old 2007-02-21, 6:53am
Striking-impared...

I got some silver cinnamon and caramel apple in last week and my rods look exactly like the ones in post #3.

The glass is easy to tell apart in rod form, but they end up looking similar when worked into a bead. At least mine do. Haven't tried the silver rattan yet.

The one below is silver cinnamon.

Old 2007-02-21, 10:38am

Well i got all confused as well because the cinnamon rods and the carmel apple look the same especially the melted end of the rod. So I just gave up and don't worry about it.
Old 2007-03-24, 5:01pm
Um......

OK, just received another huge batch of both Silver Cinammon and Caramel Apple. BOTH piles were tagged Silver Cinnamon....look at the color difference in the rods.....why are suppliers stuffing this up???

Even tho both colors look similar once melted and annealed, I have found the SC is much more reactive and I can get several colors out of it. Thus, I NEED to know which bundle is which.

Guys, just watch what you are receiving is actually the colors you are after.

Old 2007-03-24, 5:37pm

I have some caramel apple and just love the color!! I have made three beads with it and each one of them have cracked!! Anyone else have this problem, is it not compatible with moretti??