Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-09, 1:15pm
Catnip Pusher

Default Issues With CIM Plum Over Blush?

I did a bead with CIM Plum over CIM Blush, and I seem to be getting what look like incompatibility cracks! I thought I remembered a site where the exact coe for CIM glass was listed, but I can't find it now.

Anyone else have any issues? Or am I going crazy?

Aimee
Old 2008-12-09, 1:57pm
da General

Sorry to hear about that, Aimee! I believe Kathy from CIM mentioned that the translucent ones (Cirrus being one) are the only ones that need to be annealed at 1050. Don't think Plum or Blush falls into that category.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2008-12-09, 6:29pm

I have had troubles with plum.

Old 2008-12-09, 7:41pm
Catnip Pusher

Thanks Hayley and Amy!

Actually, Plum is slightly translucent (or maybe I should say sometimes translucent!), so it may indeed be the problem.

I'd swear I remember seeing a website with details like that of all the CIM colors, but it's driving me crazy that I can't find it now. Must have been someone's personal project that's been dropped off a server. Nuts.

Aimee
Old 2008-12-09, 10:03pm
Um......

I have an annealing chart which may or may not be helpful! I cant seem to attach it here, PM or email me if you would like it.

Old 2008-12-10, 2:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
Thanks Hayley and Amy!

Actually, Plum is slightly translucent (or maybe I should say sometimes translucent!), so it may indeed be the problem.

I'd swear I remember seeing a website with details like that of all the CIM colors, but it's driving me crazy that I can't find it now. Must have been someone's personal project that's been dropped off a server. Nuts.

Aimee
I have this stuff up on my website..Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-12-10, 7:56pm
Catnip Pusher

FYI - the bead that I made that cracked I put back in the kiln yesterday, then reheated in the torch until the cracks disappeared. I put it in very hot, but this morning when I opened the kiln it was cracked again! I think this confirms incompatibility.

I also realised that I made some other beads last week that were Plum over Vetrofond clear. I just pulled them out and they are all fine. Which is very strange, because it seems to indicate that the Blush was the culprit - but I know I have encased Blush before!

Curiousier and curiouser...

Aimee
Old 2008-12-11, 11:06am
da General

Aimee - I double checked Plum and you are absolutely correct that it's translucent. Don't know why Plum over VF Clear is ok tho.

Here is the thread with Kathy from CIM posting the annealing temp:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...26#post1140126

Specifically:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=15

This is from an email I got from her dated Feb of this year:
"In the meantime, I wanted to assure you that all of our testers successfully annealed Messy Color with their regular schedules for Effetre EXCEPT with Cirrus, Halong Bay, and Peacock Green. These are the only three that I would suggest turning up your annealer for as they share a base formula that was especially designed to maintain translucency."

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-12-11, 11:59am
Entropy increasing....

I have had issues with the Plum. It's a nice color, but it's cracked everytime.
Old 2008-12-11, 4:45pm
Mad about Glass

Every time I try to encase CIM Blush the incompatibality cracks start while I am still working on the bead. It is exactly the same result I got when I accidentally combined some Effetre Alabaster and Opalino glass. The glass starts cracking and jumping off the mandrel!!!!

Jenn

[url]

Old 2008-12-11, 4:59pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

I've been using Plum for encasing. Specifically, I've used it over EDP and Gelly Pink, but for what it's worth, it hasn't been a "complete" encasing - I only use it over a portion of the bead. I garage at what reads around 960 F on my kiln, but I suspect may be a bit higher. I also use a pretty slow ramp down with holds at 850 and 750.

--
--
--

Old 2008-12-11, 8:16pm
Catnip Pusher

It's interesting - the bead that cracked was a heart-shaped focal, Plum over Blush, and gravity-shaped. The Plum stayed very translucent on that one. The set that I have that are Plum over clear are pressed beads (which are usually more prone to cracking). And on these the Plum became very opaque!

I think I'll sit on this set for a while (well, not literally - that would surely crack them!!!), to make sure they aren't going to break on down the road. It's too bad, Plum is such a pretty color.

Aimee
Old 2008-12-11, 9:11pm

I know! It is sad. I love the color that plum is and have made some really pretty beads by layering it over transparent colors like pink champagne and gotten the incompatibility cracks. I just don't dare use it anymore.