LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-10, 6:37pm

I actually did a short micro study on some bead release a couple of years ago for one of the companies (can't say which one), but there were multiple brands involved. It came out about as expected - there were bacteria/fungi/algae in everything I tested. If you sit them in the sun most will turn green, but it's really not a big deal. If this worries you then you should avoid cheese and yoghurt all together.

Robert
Old 2009-02-10, 10:36pm
Against the Grain

Well, as long as I don't have to eat it I think I can get used to the way it looks! Sounds like this is pretty normal then. Thanks for clearing things up Robert.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-20, 10:19pm

Well, here's a new one to throw into the bunch, mine has an orange hue to it, like an orange mold?? i am still using it and it is fine, i have not keeled over and i am not having any respiratory ailments or anything that i know of!!!
steph
Old 2009-02-20, 10:34pm

Doesn't sound good Steph. I know pink in my yogurt is time to get rid of it!
Green sounds better - my bead release gets green mold/algae in it and I haven't worried about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-20, 11:33pm

I just ordered some of this...I really hope it comes with no colors in it!!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-02-21, 6:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph1214 View Post
Well, here's a new one to throw into the bunch, mine has an orange hue to it, like an orange mold?? i am still using it and it is fine, i have not keeled over and i am not having any respiratory ailments or anything that i know of!!!
steph
If it's been sitting in the sun it is probably an algae. There is a group of orange/yellow algae (called Mustard Algae) that have been a major issue for the pool and spa industry for years. Unsightly but harmless.

Robert
Old 2009-02-21, 7:22am

it is not that old and actually it did that within a couple of weeks of having it. It is not in the sun at all, i went down and looked at it and it really looks like a rust color, i don't know! Maybe i will have to order from you when i do my next order Paula
steph
Old 2009-02-21, 7:54am
Certified Thread Killer

Huh? EWWW!

But again, wow! A science experiment!

If I have it, I can't see it. I'm trying to use up a tub of Fireworks release. It has a high graphite content and it's black. Maybe that's a good thing? If I can't see it, it's not there?

I swear in the South, everything has green mossy algae spots, so again, I'm better off not knowing…

~Rachelle
Old 2009-02-27, 10:28am
Against the Grain

Assuming that algae needs light to grow, maybe just storing it in a closet or drawer where it gets almost no light at all might help?

Old 2009-02-28, 6:01pm

I had a bottle do the same thing, I just shook it up and kept using it, until it was gone. I figured it was mold and that I hadn't used it often enough. Thought it was just me and not getting to lampwork enough.
Sandra
Old 2009-02-28, 6:20pm
Sheila

I get green mold/algae in BoM and orange in Fusion. There's quite a bit of sunlight in my studio. I keep small bottles on my bench The big bottles in the fridge. The refrigerated bottles don't have anything growing in them. I just ignore it and haven't had any problems.

Old 2009-02-28, 7:48pm
In spite of it all!

The only thing about BOM that I liked was the bottle! I use it to mix my Alice's. I did get that green growth too about 4 years ago.

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey