Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-05-28, 1:06pm

Default is this glass river rock???

http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/w...ent=1#comments
Old 2009-05-28, 1:20pm
Sheila

Looks too shiny and too translucent to me, but maybe it's just the picture. Does it have creamy opaque rings when you look at the end of a rod? If so, then it might be.
Old 2009-05-28, 1:25pm

thanks sheila,
it does not have any rings and seems to work up as a dark curdled ivory with lots of caramel in it. the label just says "odd pastel". ...kath
Old 2009-05-28, 1:32pm
Sheila

Hmm, that sounds like River Rock, except without the rings. I know there are smooth and rough rods, so maybe there are rods without rings, too. All of mine is rough, with rings.
Old 2009-05-28, 1:45pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Could it by translucent Ivory?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-05-28, 1:51pm
Dichro Addict

It does look like river rock to me. At least it looks like mine that is labeled river rock, especially the melted end of that one rod. Mine doesn't have circles on the end but it does have one dot right in the middle of the end of each rod as well as a few other dots on the end that look like lines running the length of the glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lenora; 2009-05-28 at 1:54pm.
Old 2009-05-28, 2:49pm
maybe tomorrow

I have a fair amount of River Rock, both rough and smooth, and that does look like it to me. In mine (which I've gotten from several different people) the rings aren't always visible in the smooth rods, and when they are, they are much less distinctive than in the rough rods.

If you're interested in selling it, keep me in mind. I love RR!

Old 2009-05-28, 2:49pm

it is not translucent ivory because i have that labeled and it looks different. it is lighter in color. i purchases river rock when it came out but my studio was in storage so i have not had an opportunity to use it until now. and this is the only glass i have left that is not labeled that could be river rock. when i melt it, it has a transparent amber/root beer layer on the top and then when i add different glass to it, it becomes mottled and curdled. it sucks up other colors too so that they can disappear into this glass as i work it. i was just wondering since it seems to be the only glass i have that might be river rock and yet maybe it is something else. the rods are shiny and look like a cup of coffee with skim milk in it. i am not sure i like working with it so i was wondering if it is the river rock that others really enjoy...kath
Old 2009-05-28, 3:28pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

It looks like some Vetrofond Avocado Odd I have with the number-791931. Wasn't River rock supposed to be Avocado Odd before they renamed it??
The other River rock I have has the number 791431. It gets confusing doesn't it?

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2009-05-28, 3:32pm
FireBeads

It looks like some of the river rock I have - no rings sort of translucent but mine looks a little browner, less amberish.

It sounds like my Vetrofond honey crunch, same reactions. The color is similar but mine has a very visible core.

It is indeed odd!
Old 2009-05-28, 3:38pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

It looks just like mine.
Old 2009-05-28, 4:01pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

It's River Rock - some of the rods were more translucent.

Old 2009-05-29, 2:49am

it is not honey crunch. i have that labeled and it is a totally different color. honey crunch shocks itself to death as well and this is not shocky. i appreciate all your feedback and help with this. toni, i will keep you in mind if i end up selling it. i have some parrot green i am not interested in as well so i may end up selling both of these glasses in the garage or trading them for a glass i like. i would love to trade them for dark jupiter or tibet so i will be thinking about it in the coming days. i need to weigh the glass to find out how much i have first...kath