No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-06, 9:58am
Yeah me!

Default DIY Rod shelves

Does anyone have a good cheap design for rod racks? I've been using PVC pipe but would like to have something a little better, as I am starting to fill out my inventory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-06, 10:09am

If you can find it there is a vinyl fence rail that has 3 squares in cross section. I cut it into 14 inch pieces and made up blocks from the sections. Each square holds about 2 lb. of glass. I put the blocks in metal cube bookcases that I got from The Container Store.

Robert

Old 2009-01-06, 10:10am
Yeah me!

thats a great idea!

Old 2009-01-06, 10:14am
Who me?

I cut mine to 12 inches so the glass sticks out an inch or so - that way it is easier to grab - for me at least - and I get 8 sections from an 8 foot fence section.
Old 2010-01-11, 10:01am
Jacqueline Parkes

Bump, has anyone figured out a snazzy way to attach labels to these containers? I like to print out labels with code number and color name of the glass. I am trying to visualize where these could be attached.

Old 2010-01-11, 10:10am

I have been wondering about the labeling too...any ideas?
Old 2010-01-11, 10:39am
uncouthful cats

I just leave a labeled tail-end of glass sticking out a bit. My storage set-up is not "set in stone", & I will now & again move glass around, so labels on the shelves would not work well for me. Takes just a second or 2 to check the labels. If the mfg. labels are too small, make one with larger letters to make it more easily readable.

Hi Tanja!

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2010-01-11, 10:57am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I label all my rods.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-11, 11:33am

Hi Nancy
hi Squid...gee..label the rods..who would have thought of that!! lol
Brilliant!
I think I need to start labeling them too...I am getting them all mixed up....and don't like that...
i started to do pvc pipe upright for storage and don't like it much..now I am thinking about putting it horizontal (glass still in pvc pipes)....I sure hope it gets warmer soon..maybe I can bribe my DH into building a simple box for me
Old 2010-01-11, 11:39am
new artist at midlife!

I recently saw an idea in a book about using white PVC downspout tubing which is square-shaped like the ones pictured here. Same idea if you can't find the fencing material.

Good luck!

lisa

P.S. I'm new here but I hope to become more active.
Old 2010-01-11, 11:52am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Bump, has anyone figured out a snazzy way to attach labels to these containers? I like to print out labels with code number and color name of the glass. I am trying to visualize where these could be attached.
I don't label every rod and I'm very careful to put rods away between sessions ( like every night).

I have a label in each cubbyhole. I cut pieces of cardstock about 3" x 1.75". I stick the sheet in the cubbyhole above the one I am labeling and fold about 3/8" down. This is where I write the name and number of the rods that it hangs down into. Hope this makes sense. Actuall, I fold and write the name before I sitck it under the rods in the above cubbyhole.
Old 2010-01-11, 11:55am
Jacqueline Parkes

Would you be able to post a pic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
I don't label every rod and I'm very careful to put rods away between sessions ( like every night).

I have a label in each cubbyhole. I cut pieces of cardstock about 3" x 1.75". I stick the sheet in the cubbyhole above the one I am labeling and fold about 3/8" down. This is where I write the name and number of the rods that it hangs down into. Hope this makes sense. Actuall, I fold and write the name before I sitck it under the rods in the above cubbyhole.

Old 2010-01-11, 12:25pm
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Would you be able to post a pic?
Sure, I'll take on tonight.
Old 2010-01-11, 12:27pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I appreciate that, when you have time

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
Sure, I'll take on tonight.

Old 2010-01-11, 1:32pm

does anyone eat pringles? I saved a gaggle of pringles containers and glued them in a wooden frame n painted it. I will try to get pic.
Old 2010-01-11, 1:42pm
Meow.

I too use the fence rails, they are arranged in an Ikea bookcase I got CHEAP off of craigslist

(Please ignore the mess - I'm in the middle of putting up shelving on a nother wall, resulting in BIG MESS on the floor)

I label each cubbie inside each section with my P-Touch - each one on the left inside wall of the square section, towards the top. I can't see the label if the cubbie is full - but I'll almost always have at least one labeled rod in each cubbie anyhow. The label is just so I know where to put new glass if I ever run out of a color. I reorganized my glass to fit some more in a couple of weeks ago and realized that the labels were a pain at that point, as I was moving sections around.

I'm now considering labelling every rod. Seems like it would be a HUGE undertaking though...wish I'd have been doing that since the beginning.

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2010-01-11, 1:46pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I use the top of the pringle chips for beading. They are great for holding beads when you work and then sort of fold it in half a bit and the beads pour back into their containers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motheroffire77 View Post
does anyone eat pringles? I saved a gaggle of pringles containers and glued them in a wooden frame n painted it. I will try to get pic.

Old 2010-01-11, 1:48pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I want to just label each section from the top or something so I can see at a glance what it is, name and code number which also enables for easier reordering.

I just can't see how to do it quite yet........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgslampwork View Post
I too use the fence rails, they are arranged in an Ikea bookcase I got CHEAP off of craigslist

(Please ignore the mess - I'm in the middle of putting up shelving on a nother wall, resulting in BIG MESS on the floor)

I label each cubbie inside each section with my P-Touch - each one on the left inside wall of the square section, towards the top. I can't see the label if the cubbie is full - but I'll almost always have at least one labeled rod in each cubbie anyhow. The label is just so I know where to put new glass if I ever run out of a color. I reorganized my glass to fit some more in a couple of weeks ago and realized that the labels were a pain at that point, as I was moving sections around.

I'm now considering labelling every rod. Seems like it would be a HUGE undertaking though...wish I'd have been doing that since the beginning.

Old 2010-01-11, 2:01pm
Meow.

I should clarify since I label the sections for the very same reason - my labels have the name and number - and can be seen as long as the individual section is not completely full (in which case I'd not be reording that color)....but I do have to go up to the case and look inside a specific section to get the information - which can be pretty easily seen with even well over 1 lb of glass in that section.

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2010-01-11, 2:10pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Do you mean you label each glass section or each cubbie hole that is on your shelf?

I want each glass section labeled.

Quote:
I should clarify since I label the sections for the very same reason - my labels have the name and number - and can be seen as long as the individual section is not completely full (in which case I'd not be reording that color)....but I do have to go up to the case and look inside a specific section to get the information - which can be pretty easily seen with even well over 1 lb of glass in that section.

Old 2010-01-11, 2:15pm
Meow.

Each glass section

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2010-01-11, 2:16pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Ahhh okay I understand now. So the labels are on the inside left instead of hanging from the top.

Might work for me...thanks

Quote:
Each glass section

Old 2010-01-11, 2:32pm
Meow.

Bingo!

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2010-01-11, 2:41pm
Fancy Mammal

Quote:
Ooh, and it looks like it's holding up well to the weight! That's interesting! Is it this one? http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40047675
Old 2010-01-11, 2:45pm
Meow.

Yup -- and for the record it's been holding up for at least 2-3 years incredibly well. I think it'll fall through the floor before it loses it's stability in the shelves

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2010-01-11, 4:34pm
Who me?

gemsinbloom,

Here's a pic of how I label the cubbyholes....yes, there is dust - I clean as I choose a rod - usually under my armpit.
Attached Images

Old 2010-01-11, 4:41pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Quote:

(.
Wow you are one serious glass ho I am sooooooo jealous!!!!
Old 2010-01-11, 5:43pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:

It does take time, but I do mine in large batches to I can get an assembly line type thing going. It's worth the trouble.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-11, 7:07pm
Formerly FishBulb

I started collecting glass before my studio was set up. Before long I had a huge stack on the table in the basement. It took me 18 trips to get it all out to the studio by the time my set-up was ready. And you know, I didn't label the rods.

Once I had everything set up, I started labelling all the rods. Oh yeah, fun times.... It took DAYS. Now I tend to label them as they come in, more or less. I never spend more than an hour at it. Much better than DAYS.

I had considered labelling the cubbyholes but I knew that I was so scatterbrained, I would re-arrange the glass one day but forget to re-arrange the labels and then be really hooped. I find it better to label each rod also.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-01-11, 8:55pm

I ordered my son 13 pounds of glass (all different colors in 1/4# increments) from the Frantz glass sale last month. I simply used the invoice that I went sent via email to speed up my labeling process. I just copied and pasted the information into the label format in Microsoft Word. It worked like a charm. I was able to label each rod in a very short amount of time. I then went to Home Depot and bought two of those large orange buckets with lids and some PVC pipe. I had my husband cut the pipe into 10 inch sections and placed the sections in the pails. Now my son has his glass in a covered container to prevent the dust from settling on the rods. The great part about this is that it is portable. Now he can take his glass with him when he makes beads in the art room at his high school.