No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-26, 12:57pm
Fire Goddess

Default Reichenbach red

What have you found to be the best reichenbach red opaque color? I get browns out of some of the reds and am looking for a truer color.
CC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-08-26, 5:50pm
Lampworkaholic!

96 or 104?

I love Garnet (104) but it's a transparent that strikes to opacity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-08-26, 7:13pm

I really like the strawberry. I did see someone else on here did not however. I find I can work it a lot before it goes goofy, it stays bright red, just work in the middle of the flame, not too near the cones.
della
Old 2010-08-27, 12:51pm
Fire Goddess

We have tried several of the reds and they turn a brownish even with an oxygenated flame. It is for Xmas ornaments so it is worked for quite a few minutes in the flame. 123 is an orange-red that is nice, but anything deeper that holds it's color would be nice.. The bags of powders are a bit costly to just buy a bunch and see what works. Thanks for responding.

Old 2010-08-27, 12:54pm
Fire Goddess

Della,
What number is the strawberry? Is it 96?

Old 2010-08-27, 12:59pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

R-139 is a transparent coe 96 red.
http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...cID=23&pID=288

RL-6213 is an opaque coe 104 red
http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=120&pID=1638

Both are Reichenbach.

--
--
--

Old 2010-08-27, 1:00pm

I've recently used the strawberry and it's a perfect bright cherry red. It's a 104. That seems to be the only red that I have found to work well for a x-mas red color.

Lynx, Midrange, Scorpion Regalia Oxycon
Old 2010-08-27, 2:27pm
Fire Goddess

R 139 is a strawberry 96 coe. That's 2 for the strawberry. Thanks! I am curious about the opaque R-123 96 coe. I really am only interested in the 96 because we are using tubing.
CC

Old 2010-08-27, 5:34pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Another vote for strawberry in 104. I'm starting to move into 96 now though. started with clear, black, and white and I'm loving it.

Old 2010-08-27, 8:05pm
Fire Goddess

Strawberry is so popular. I have to try it. Yeah, the 96 coe is beautiful, earthy. I have not tried the R-104. I hope the strawberry is the same in R-96...???
Anybody tried any of the other bright opaque reds in R-96? They are gorgeous on the cart, but do they stay true??

Old 2010-08-29, 7:54am

Default 96 reds

CIM 96 koi is a beautiful red....I have seen it on the beadroller thread.

Old 2010-08-29, 8:53am

Very true about Koi, it is very pretty, but transparent, right?
Old 2010-08-30, 12:18pm
Fire Goddess

I don't know KOI 96. I ordered R-strawberry rods and R-123 powder and rods. Both 96. I will look for the thread. Thanks a bunch. I am having a lot of fun with making ornaments, but we still have so much to learn to get the colors to pop.
CC

Old 2010-08-31, 5:25pm
I fart diamonds

Another vote for Strawberry! If you don't mind straying from Reichenbach, Uroboros Cherry Red (U1511) and Red Opal (U2502) are both really nice, too. (And cheap!)

Old 2010-08-31, 5:47pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

remember if you want to use them for blown ornaments.. the "softer" the glass the better. try to find the one that spreads the easiest, it will make the hollows much easier and prettier

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-08-31, 8:19pm
Fire Goddess

Hi Candice,
I use a base of enamel white on most of the ornaments and it makes the bubble stiffer and easier to manage. It has been fun working with all the colors and experimenting.
TY,
Cher