Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-05, 11:48am
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

Default Who has the "clearest glass" of them all?

I am running out of my old fashioned clear that I mostly use under expensive colors.
For the past years I have heard about "New" clears be it cristall or whatever .
This time I want to finish with the clear on top, does anyone have favorites and is it worth the extra buck?
Katja
Old 2009-01-05, 2:54pm
yukue fumei

the best one I have used and liked that is currently being sold is Diamond Clear....
expensive but wonderful.
If you can find some of the old Vetro crystal clear, it was nice, and so was the first batch of Moretti Super Clear(I don't know how the later batches are because I haven't bought any.....)
Now of the ones that currently aren't being sold but Frantz had for a bit was DoubleHelix Aether.....that for me is hands down the most amazing scum free clear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-01-05, 5:55pm

Diamond Clear...worth every penny!

Old 2009-01-05, 6:14pm

Don't forget about the new batches of Lauscha!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-01-05, 6:21pm
da General

Double Helix Aether Clear is hands down the best clear EVER . . . just wish it was available!

Diamond Clear is hit or miss . . . I have had great batches, and I have had not so good batches (and not counting the one Abe replaced) . . .

I did get some Reformulated Lauscha from Paula . . . only use it a bit. It's a gorgeous clear but does leave a few bubbles. You can see the bubbles forming as you melt the rod that it's IN the rod and not the person doing the encasing! lol!

If you don't plan on using it over silver glass, the CIM Clear is great too. I am not sure if Kathy has fixed the compatibility issue with silver glass tho.

The latest batch of Vetrofond Crystal Clear I got from Frantz is pretty icky! I use it exclusively as a core.

Hope this helps.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-05, 6:49pm
Apparently Invisible

Diamond Clear. Also great with silver glasses. I have not had any of it be a bad batch, including when Abe replaced it for people. Good Luck, I suppose......

Old 2009-01-05, 8:12pm

Schott clear (of course, can be used with BE, but not 104)

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2009-01-05, 8:58pm
Life is change. Love it

Another vote for diamond clear

Old 2009-01-05, 10:20pm
HourGlass Studio

So there were problems with CIM clear and silver glass....UGH....thats all I have been using. So far I have not had any issues and I have some beads that are a few weeks old. Guess I am going to have to hang onto them for a while to see what happens.

Last edited by Laurie L; 2009-01-10 at 12:44pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2009-01-06, 7:45am
She better not sell these

Are you pulling stringers with your clear? I have found the thicker rods to be better than the skinny ones, fewer scratches and less scum. I usually get them about 10mm.

I thought I was the only one that thought vetro crystal clear had dropped in quality. When it first came out it was wonderful, now I can't tell the difference between the new and old clear, except maybe the old original regular clear might be better now.

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2009-01-06, 8:42am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Schott clear (of course, can be used with BE, but not 104)
YES!

I pulled stringer from the S-8 pucks and they make awesome clear for 104--I think the COE is 109... Not all colors can be encased. I had cracking with Lauscha and with silver(glass and leaf/foil)....but wow, it is a nice clear...

nagi

Old 2009-01-06, 8:52am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggyinaz View Post
I thought I was the only one that thought vetro crystal clear had dropped in quality. When it first came out it was wonderful, now I can't tell the difference between the new and old clear, except maybe the old original regular clear might be better now.
oh, that is sad to hear....

nagi

Old 2009-01-06, 9:28am

Default Messy Clear

I was not aware of any recent problems with Messy Clear by CIM?

Mike Frantz

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2009-01-06, 9:36am
Did someone say SALE?

Default Diamond clear problems....

Ok, I know I must be a loser if I can scum up Diamond clear, but I have had problems with it.... am I just getting it too hot and boiling it? It does seem to melt faster than the 5 yr. old Lausha I was using. But it's not just the end of the rod, I get bubbly scum anywhere I put it on the bead. Thanks in advance if anyone has any advice!!!
Old 2009-01-06, 9:43am

I am kind of stuck with the Bullseye clear. I do not like Schott it is stiff and I have had compatibility issues.

For the last several years the Bullseye clear is very shocky. I have not been too happy about the bubbles in the 2mm stringers and the normal sized rods. The 1mm stringers are pretty much bubble free. I like the wider rods, but pulling stringers is a time consumer I do not like.

Old 2009-01-06, 9:58am

Double Helix!

Old 2009-01-06, 11:12am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassyEyedGirl View Post
Ok, I know I must be a loser if I can scum up Diamond clear, but I have had problems with it.... am I just getting it too hot and boiling it? It does seem to melt faster than the 5 yr. old Lausha I was using. But it's not just the end of the rod, I get bubbly scum anywhere I put it on the bead. Thanks in advance if anyone has any advice!!!
when did you buy your Diamond Clear? There was a bad batch out there that was scummy.....

nagi

Old 2009-01-06, 5:38pm
Um......

Diamond clear is nassssttttyyyy! Scums and bubbles all thru my rods. I only got it delivered a couple of months ago. The Super clear is much better compared to Diamond Clear...IMO.

Old 2009-01-07, 6:38am
Did someone say SALE?

Nagi, I just checked and it was actually Effetre Super Clear ordered in November. Does anyone have problems with that? Maybe I should follow this thread and try something else. Sorry about the mis-information!
Old 2009-01-07, 7:58am
Sorry for party rockin'

I just use the 8 - 10mm effetre clear rods for encasing. I've tried alot of others and always come back to that

Old 2009-01-07, 8:12am
Snow Flake Glass Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefrantz View Post
I was not aware of any recent problems with Messy Clear by CIM?

Mike Frantz

I used messy clear to encase this weekend, and i must say i experienced some shockiness. but when it didn't shock, it was very creamy

Is it May yet?
Peggy

droolin' on my mini cc with canned propane and an oxygenator

Old 2009-01-07, 8:12am
Superkitty

I've had problems with everything except BE clear. That doesn't exactly solve my problems with 104, does it. I haven't tried the new Lauscha yet. I have so much of the old to use up and the problem with that is cracking with the silvers. I have to say that it doesn't scum though.
Old 2009-01-07, 10:52am
Catnip Pusher

I got 5 pounds of Vetrofond Crystal Clear back in November - and it is pretty crummy (or I should say scummy!). I've had so much better batches!!!

Diamond Clear is pretty good, but it's too expensive for regular use. I go through a lot of clear, it would be great to find one that is really clear (and consistantly so).

Aimee
Old 2009-01-22, 4:18pm
Likes to melt stuff...

Even if it means eating ramen for a week, I'll always buy the Diamond Clear. It's really nice to work with.
Old 2009-01-22, 6:33pm
Catnip Pusher

You know, right after I posted I had a whole bunch of beads ruined by the scummy clear. I went and bought 2 pounds of Diamond Clear immediately and I'm not looking back.

I wonder if I can get a discount if I buy a lot of it?

Aimee
Old 2009-01-23, 5:16am

I don't like the CIM clear at all. I would gladly give it away to anyone interested but unfortunately I live in Switzerland and it would be too expensive to ship it.

I've tried every clear on the market (except the new batch of Effetre super clear and the test batch from DH) and my favourite is the new soft lauscha clear. I love it... I'm still concerned about compatibility issue, but I've been using it for a month now, and except for one little set, no problems so far. I've encased silver glasses no problems.
It's a beautiful clear: I didn't get any scum or bubbles, except for two rods that had a hole running throuhg the whole length of the rod. I guess if the new batch of effetre super clear doesn't top or match that, I'll consider myself a Lauscha addict from now on...

Old 2009-01-23, 6:13am

I love Diamond Clear too. Luckily, I've only had one bad batch of it and I've been using it for about a year. Reichenbach 104 crystal is pretty awesome too but it's a bit stiff and takes some getting used to.

Old 2009-01-23, 6:15am
phrit phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdreschaneman View Post
Even if it means eating ramen for a week, I'll always buy the Diamond Clear. It's really nice to work with.
I agree!! I love the stuff.

Old 2009-01-23, 6:29am
Gimme that silver glass!

I love the Diamond Clear and not to forget, the TAG clear!

I also tried some new clears, including Kugler and GTG clear.

At first, I didn't like them, but I actually like them both now. A bit stiffer than my Diamond clear but good for encasing silver glasses. These are made with the Kugler clear:

Almost no bubbles!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-01-23, 7:36am

I was not impressed with the diamond clear that I got a while back, it had quite a few bubbles in it and needed to be worked way out in the flame to keep from further bubbling/scumming. I prefer thicker rods to work with too. I hated the Vetrofond that I tried a while back, it was so scummy that I only use it for a base or if I am etching. I've not tried the new Lauscha or the super clear effetre but think I will give those a try. The CIM is okay, but again the rod diameter is too small and it too scums up if I work it too hot, too quick. I prefer working with 8-10mm for encasing. I usually use Lauscha and I've done a lot of encasing of frits. I had compatibilty issues once for a while until I discovered (thanks to help here) that I needed to put my beads into the kiln while still glowing and I should have my kiln temperature up to 975 or so. Since then, I've had no problems. However, I've not used the silver glasses, so I don't know how it works with that. I tried boro for a while, what I wouldn't give to have a beautiful clear like that in soft glass.

H37