Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2009-02-02, 10:30am

Default Effetre 254 and Mocha

I had gotten an email asking me if there had been any changes in 591254 purple (EDP). A customer was concerned that there had been changes because she liked the way the old worked. I just got an email from Effetre that told me that there were no changes in the formula or the way it is made. I was told like usual there can be tonality changes, but I do not think this is her concern.

I also asked about the Mocha. Many months ago I was sent samples of Mocha. We tested them and thought the glass devitrified like 254 and decided not to carry it. Somebody else bought it and began selling it and it may end up being a very nice color. I can obtain that color from Effetre if I want and wanted to know if you have tried it, what did you think? Like or dislike? Would you buy it again? Your answers will help me decide to get it or not get it.

I thank you for your time.

Mike Frantz

Frantz Art Glass Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Torch Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206

Last edited by mikefrantz; 2009-02-02 at 10:36am.
Old 2009-02-02, 11:12am
sunscreen me baby

I would love a mocha that devit-ed I love the texture and it would be a wonderful sand for my seascape series I do. I'm in for pounds and pounds
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~

Old 2009-02-02, 2:45pm
Disconnected

Mocha looks to me like the real chestnut brown that everybody wants. I would go for it even if it is a new incarnation of evil.

Old 2009-02-02, 3:46pm
k Grace Richard Designs

Default Mocha

Hi Mike, I have it, and really like it. It can be tricky but it really is beautiful. Karen
Old 2009-02-02, 6:07pm
Booger #7

I would so go for a devit mocha! EDP is seriously my favorite color because of it's devit and tonal changes!

Old 2009-02-10, 11:56pm
In spite of it all!

Anything that devits like the evil one I am gonna eagerly try! I will be in your area with Kimberly on the 16th and 17th Mike. Can I get some to play with then? Maybe take a few pounds home?

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2009-02-11, 8:25am

Hi Mike, that was me who emailed you. I use the devit to make my signature color so would hate to loose that.

I'd be interest too in another color that would devit. Mark me down.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-02-11, 8:39am

me too ,I would love to try it out, I agree with Kimberly, I would love to have some.
Teresa justice
Old 2009-02-11, 11:04am
Apparently Invisible

After seeing everyone else's response, OF COURSE I will try it....I too like the devitrification that EDP does, and have learned some workarounds when I do not want it to react.

Old 2009-02-11, 11:18am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

To me, Mocha, Sedona and EDP are nearly the same thing, just with a brownish hue to the Mocha. Personally, I was disappointed that it didn't maintain the color in the rod - that's gorgeous. But it devits so bad on my HH that this is what I get - looks nothing like the rod:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-11, 11:55am
In spite of it all!

I LOVE LooOOvE that bead Amber!

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2009-02-11, 1:50pm

While the formula for the "new" batches of EDP may be the same, the rods are certainly different. Not just thicker, but VERY shocky , and the color doesn't seem as vivid. I lost 3 inches before I gave up on the new rod and found a rod of the old stuff.

I haven't seen the mocha, but I'd love to try it out!

Old 2009-02-11, 3:00pm
In spite of it all!

I was hearing that the makers are sending the "seconds" to the USA. Not sure how true that is.. can anyone shed some light on this?

Old 2009-02-12, 8:59am
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

Quote:
While the formula for the "new" batches of EDP may be the same, the rods are certainly different. Not just thicker, but VERY shocky , and the color doesn't seem as vivid. I lost 3 inches before I gave up on the new rod and found a rod of the old stuff.

I haven't seen the mocha, but I'd love to try it out!
I had no idea there was a difference until I used some of this latest batch and wondered what was wrong with it. The color is definitely lighter, and it doesn't seem to spread as much. Maybe it is only normal variation, but I don't recall this drastic a change between batches until now. I was able to grab some older stuff from ABR in Tucson, so I'll be able to compare the two instead of relying on memory.
Old 2009-02-12, 10:51am
moth to the flame

Quote:
I was hearing that the makers are sending the "seconds" to the USA. Not sure how true that is.. can anyone shed some light on this?
Really? Wow.

I am sure many would be interested to know if this is true or not,that isn't a good rumor to have going around about a product or the maker.

Hopefully someone will see this that knows what is going on and shed
some light on it.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-02-12, 11:44am

Default Seconds? who says so?

Quote:
Ok, so who said the glass makers are sending "seconds" to the USA?

Mikey

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2009-02-12, 4:51pm

Quote:
Really? Oh man...I am on my last two rods of the old EDP and at the price it is now, I won't be replacing it, if this is the case.

Wow glad I came here and read this before placing a re-order.

J
Old 2009-02-12, 5:10pm

LOL - I'll keep buying the old EDP until its no longer available, I'm afraid. I love the color too much and the new EDP just isn't what I want.

Old 2009-02-12, 5:21pm

Quote:
LOL - I'll keep buying the old EDP until its no longer available, I'm afraid. I love the color too much and the new EDP just isn't what I want.
Who still has, or who can you order the old from?

I am pretty sure my supplier up here will have the new batches. I am going to email her and ask, but I am sure she won't have the old anymore.

J
Old 2009-02-12, 5:24pm

oh sorry that was rude of me to ask Nicole. I completely understand if you don't want to give that info out.
Old 2009-02-12, 5:33pm
In spite of it all!

Quote:

Mikey
It was something that was told to me about 20 months ago... I forget who said it but it was at the 2007 gathering. You know, I know better then repeating things I don't know for fact. I am hoping that I am understanding this question from you as a no, they are not seconds. Or was that a question as to who is spilling the beans?

Old 2009-02-12, 11:14pm

I've also heard this rumour (long time ago known - that americans get the seconds - or at least what the Italians don't care about - may be malicious rumour but) ... and I had some (perhaps???) proof of it last summer when I took a class with an old glass master who had rods of colors and thicknesses I had never seen (brought them with him) - all of it had been hand made for him at the factory (he had friends in high places)!

Old 2009-02-13, 12:05am

Quote:
and I had some (perhaps???) proof of it last summer when I took a class with an old glass master who had rods of colors and thicknesses I had never seen (brought them with him) - all of it had been hand made for him at the factory (he had friends in high places)!
Can't blame him, if I had connections I wouldn't buy off the shelf either.

I have a friend who lived on the island a couple of years ago, and he talked about how when they needed glass they would just walk (or rather boat over) to the Moretti factory and pick out what they wanted, so I don't think it's so much that they are sending us the seconds, but rather that the masters and locals get first choice.

It only makes sense that that's the way it works... I wish I lived closer to Frantz's and could pick up my own glass too.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-02-13, 5:37am
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
To me, Mocha, Sedona and EDP are nearly the same thing, just with a brownish hue to the Mocha. Personally, I was disappointed that it didn't maintain the color in the rod - that's gorgeous. But it devits so bad on my HH that this is what I get - looks nothing like the rod:
This was my experience with Mocha too . . . very much like a brown EDP.
I experimented with a quickie "pandora" type bead and here's the bead compared to the rod. The bead has as bit of devit on it, but I sort of like it on a smaller bead. I too wish the rod stayed true to color, I'd love to see a nice rich brown instead of a reddish brown. If you love EDP, you'll love mocha:

Old 2009-02-13, 8:23am
Sheila

Quote:

Mikey

Old 2009-02-13, 10:58am

Here is Mocha encased with Lauscha clear. (Yes Lauscha Clear!)
I think it's really pretty! I have not had more time to experiment with it but I like it!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-02-13, 11:02am

Here is a better photo:
Encased with Lauscha it looks like Sandstone. (Can you imagine what a really good beadmaker could do with this color??)

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-02-13, 11:16am
moth to the flame

Your spacers look like mine did Paula. They had a little devit near the holes but its a really pretty brown.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-02-13, 11:17pm

What an absolutely YUMMY color. We can get past devit the same way we do with EDP.
Anything to expand our color palette into warm earthtones.

Old 2009-02-14, 3:44am
Soft glass addict

Beautiful beads everyone! I also like this glass, the 4 dark rounds are Mocha and the middle bead as well, i like the ancient look of the middle bead

It devits like crazy and i personally think it's harder to get the devit away than with EDP.

Mega Minor + 2 oxycons and lovin it