Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-19, 11:17am

Default UO's Hurricane concentrator question

Hey Folks.
Does anyone have any working experience with Unlimited Oxygen's Hurricane
series, or with the O2 booster. I am thinking of getting one or the other.
They sound great, but I know that between the idea and the reality, falls the shadow. Help me out if you can.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 2010-01-19, 11:58am
Torch junkie

Dave,
I have been using the Hurricane oxy machine for that past three years, I purchase the Hurricane in August of 2007 and I feel it's a good product for the most part. Here are a few things that I have experienced while using it. When I first got it, it worked great for a week or two and then I noticed a drop in the pressure. I assumed that the machine was adjusting to the climate here, so I kept using it and thought nothing of it, because it was still producing enough oxygen to run my lynx, but not quite at full capacity. Although it wasn't running my lynx at full capacity I kept using it and life was good. Then last October the machine decided to quit producing oxygen, it was still on warrantee to I called UO and they said to send it back and they would get the problem taken care of. I had to pay the shipping costs to send the machine back and forth, but it was almost 3 years old and I felt that was a fair deal. Jack is a bit slow in the communication department and I had to call and check on the progress of the machine a few times, but once again I didn't feel this was too serious. The problem with my Hurricane was that one of the compressors had gone out and Jack replaced it for me at no charge because the machine was still under warantee. It took about a month to get things all worked out between shipping the machine back to UO, getting the problem fixed and getting it shipped back to me. Now that I have the machine back and have been using it since October, it runs better than when I first received it. It will run my lynx at full capacity and I also have hooked it up to my Carlisle CC center fire and it runs that with no problems. When I run my CC I run the center fire on the Hurricane and then I have the outer fire connected up to tanked oxy. This configuration works great for me and I feel that I get more efficent use of oxy out of the tanks. In my opinion the Hurricane can run one lynx or two Carlisle Minni CC torches without much trouble when the machine is working properly. As far as dealing with Unlimited Oxygen, I feel that they will stand behind their product, but if you find yourself having a problem with them, you may experience some frustration and you might have to light a fire under them from time to time to get your problem worked out. So in the end I feel that they make a pretty decent product, but they could use a lot of improvement in the customer service department. All in all I'm happy with their product, but if I were to do it again? I might do things differently.
Rog..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It's not the torch you have that makes you better. It's what you learn to do with the torch you have, that makes you better."
Old 2010-01-19, 12:38pm
Lampworker

i have one
1 will run a lynx full or 2 lynx's at about 80%
2 will run 3 lynx

the compressor seals go out about every 1-2 years with heavy use 6-8 hours a day. they are very difficult to replace. i tried.
Old 2010-01-19, 12:40pm

Rog,
Thanks that was exactly the kind of info I was looking for! By the way, I love your dragons!
Thanks again,
Dave
Old 2010-01-19, 1:26pm
Torch junkie

No problem Dave.

Thanks Oldschool, I wasn't aware that the seals on the compressors only lasted approximately 2 years. I use my machine about 4 hours per day, so the seal on the bad compressor was probably due to be replaced and the drop in pressure at the beginning might have been an indication that the seal was leaking slightly, which would only get worse over time. As I mentioned, for the most part I am happy with my Hurricane generator and it has saved me a lot on oxygen costs compared to using tanks. There are times when I could use a little more oxy and I have considered adding a booster, but at the moment my finances won't allow that. So when I need more power I just switch to tanks. I wouldn't hesitate to deal with Unlimited Oxygen again, because they have treated me pretty good. I just feel that they could improve their customer service a little.

"It's not the torch you have that makes you better. It's what you learn to do with the torch you have, that makes you better."
Old 2010-01-20, 10:02am
Dangerous Woman

Rog how did you know there was a drop in pressure? I'm not sure that mine is running as well as it should/could.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-01-20, 6:59pm
Torch junkie

Nancy,
I have my Hurricane hooked up to an 11 gallon holding tank this help to even out the flow of oxy to the torch if you find that your flame is breathing or fluctuating while the machine cycles. There is a pressure gauge on this holding tank and my hurricane keeps the pressure at 15 pounds when I have the torch barely turned on. I noticed the machine lost pressure when the gauge dropped below 15 pounds and wouldn't pressurize the holding tank. I always keep some oxy flowing through my torch when the hurricane is running, even when the torch isn't lit. When I'm working the hurricane usually keeps my holding tank with 10 pounds of pressure, but this also changes depending on how I have my torch adjusted at the time.

Old 2010-01-20, 8:34pm
Dangerous Woman

Thanks Roger. My flame is not fluctuating at all. I think I need a new propane regulator.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-01-20, 9:01pm
Lampworker

while jack can be a little hard to get a hold of, he has been extremly nice about swaping out compressors. he sent me 2 diaphrams....i messed up the first one. havent tried the second one, yet. its like trying to fit something thats 2 1/8" into a hole that is only 2" wide...and if you force it, you break it and it doesnt work.

now im wondering on the life of the sive bed?

im going on 2 years with 3 huricanes (2 Y'd together; 1 by iteself) running 5 (3 at 95% and 2 at 80%) centerfires. im thinking of getting another one to run 6 centerfires at 95%.

there could be a niche in this industry repairing generators/concentrators and filling stations. . i have been looking for a company that will rebuild (basicly replacing the diaphram), but jack said they are very unique compressors, and he can replace the diaphrams if you send him the compressors. i dont mind paying shipping both ways since he is rebuilding the compressors for free.

Also go to Napa auto parts and get some back rubber hose and good small hose clamps. The compressors get really hot, and the rubber hose gets brittle and cracks and leaks which could cause a drop in pressure. i just replaced mine on my oldest huricane.
Old 2010-01-21, 5:02pm
Torch junkie

Thanks again Old School.
It looks like Jack replaced the hoses on my machine when he replace the compressor, but it's good to know that you need to check them regularly for cracks and wear.

Old 2010-01-22, 10:35am
Lampworker

yea its much cheaper to replace 10$ worth of hosing yourself then to send it back and forth for 70$ each way.