Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-05-18, 9:30pm
Tacki

Default Help identifying Effetre rods

I need some help figuring out what some of these rods are:

#1 is Topaz Light, just for comparison
#2 is 049 Straw Yellow
#3 is labeled as Brown Light handmade transparent. Is this the same thing as Straw Yellow?
#4 looks identical to #3, but was cheaper per oz. at my local glass shop than #3 by quite a bit. Any idea what these are?
#5 I have no idea what this is. It's a really pretty reddish-pink with very pale concentric circles in the center. Any idea?
#6 is an old batch of Rubino Oro I bought from my local shop a long time ago
#7 is also Rubino Oro which I bought today from my local shop. Is this really the same thing as #6, or was something mislabeled?

ETA - this shop orders their glass from Frantz, so they're all going to be something from their website.

Thanks a ton!
Old 2009-05-19, 12:54am

Light brown is 018, not the same as straw yellow 049. But they are similar, and you'll get the same reactions with iris gold for example.

Rubino looks different almost every batch. Could number 5 be more rubino? Have you tried heating the end to see if it changes?

I'd try heating number 4 too, it might be a striking red, yellow or orange.

That's my guess anyway, hope it helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-05-19, 12:57am
I need more boro stuff

Veiled clear rubino?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-05-19, 1:33am
More ideas than talent

Sometimes it's a good idea to try and strike the ends of some of the glass to see if that makes a dfiference.

Old 2009-05-19, 4:46am

#5 looks like Arancio Perfecto to me.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-05-19, 10:24am

#5 could be F-213 Clear Rubino Clear Filigrana

Candy

ETA: Frantz calls this color "Veiled Clear Rubino"

Last edited by beadgoodies; 2009-05-19 at 10:27am.
Old 2009-05-19, 10:38am
da General

I agree that you need to try striking the ends to really figure out what they may be. I have Rubino rods that are all clear to pink to magenta . . .

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-05-19, 1:39pm
Lampworkaholic!

No. 5 looks like Striking Red to me (color numer 076). Some striking red is red, some is golden/yellow and some is wispy pink with the red core. I suppose No. 4 also could be Striking Red.

Agree with the others about Rubino varying batch to batch.

(I love playing the "identify this glass" game!)

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-05-19, 7:30pm

and then if you add the vetrofond rubino you get even MORE shades of "pink/red/clear"
I've got unstruck rubino that's nearly complete clear...I have to be *really* careful I don't mix it up (like, 3 rods?) with my clear--'cause that would be a tragic & EXPENSIVE mistake! and a couple rods that are really such a deep pink they're almost plum....from buying them one or two rods at a time over the last 4 or 5 years from different vendors...& being gifted the occasional rods & shorts from Nikki from different batches she's bought & from a few other gracious folks!...

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-05-19, 8:11pm
Sheila

Oops. I went back and read again. Nevermind.
Old 2009-05-19, 8:22pm
Lampworkaholic!

Had another thought tonight. No. 5 could be the Cool Color American Beauty. If it is, lucky you, I love that color.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox