Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-12-01, 4:34am
Um......

Default Reichenbach 104 Clear...Any issues?

Has anyone tried the Reichenbach 104COE clear yet?
Is it fully compatible with all other 104 glasses?
How's the clarity? Any streaking, bubbles or scum?

Thanks!
Carli

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-12-01, 4:51am

Carli,
I just started carrying this line in my store. I just got it in today so I haven't even tried it yet but come tomorrow morning, I plan on playing with all of it.
I'll let you know how it turns out!!!! Wish me and "it" luck....I'd love a new good clear. I have to say the rods are pretty clear...if that makes sense.
Irene

Old 2007-12-01, 8:50am

It burned the three times I tried it. Maybe it was just scummy or what ever I didn't care for the results I got with it. I tried it with differant torch settings and that didn't seem to make any change in the results
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2007-12-05, 9:22pm
Um......

BUMP! Anyone else had a play?

I NEED to find a new, excellent clear!

Old 2007-12-05, 9:48pm

I've tested the new CIM clear and I love it. I am waiting to see if I get any weird cracking after a couple of weeks but I had no trouble with scum or burning. I felt a lot like the lauscha I am used to as far as being a bit stiff but it was super clear. If I had to choose, I would pick R4 diamond clear or this new CIM clear right now. They are both excellent. I haven't tried the new Kugler clear though. I wish I could say what I thought of it.

Old 2007-12-07, 5:26pm

Trautman Art Glass has a new clear too. I love it, but I have access! There isn't much of it out there yet. Small batches, lots of care and intent... I think ABR has some TAG "Super Clear 104", and Hot Glass Color and Supply in Seattle may have a little, too. Resistant to scumming and boiling, though it can be overheated like anything else. We are only getting thin rods at the moment, so I am using it more for dotwork than heavy encasement (but yes, I have encased with this glass.) I've had ABSOLUTELY no cracking with Paul's clear 104. Wish I could say the same for every batch of Laucha clear I bought. And I haven't had to "peel" these rods like I do the Italian clears.

I'd love to know how it compares to the other new clear 104s. ~Jenny
Old 2007-12-07, 6:12pm

I finally have time to play with the Reichenbach 104 tonite. I'll post my results and pictures as soon as I can!!!!
Irene

Old 2007-12-08, 7:43pm
I need more boro stuff

Any comment yet, Irene?

Old 2007-12-08, 7:56pm
Entropy increasing....

I have to say that Kimberly, Corina and I got to test some of this glass when we tested the Vetro Odds. I don't think any of us were impressed really. It was definitely bubbly and a bit scummy. Kind of an "enhh!"

I use their lead crystal 96 with other 96 colors and I like that much better.
Old 2007-12-18, 2:57pm
Um......

Thanks guys, sounds like this one is a no go!
Carli

Old 2010-02-09, 8:18pm
Denise

I love this clear. Soooo clear and the nicest consistency. I haven't made enough beads to be sure there's no compatibility problems yet, but this bead should be a good test - 7 colors (incl the clear) plus silver.

Old 2010-02-09, 9:50pm
Storm Queen

I think the Reichenbach clear is fabulous. Very similar in viscosity to Aether. No burning, bubbling or scumming at all. Super clear. I just bought my second batch. I got tired of getting crappy Diamond Clear so now I'm happily switching to Reichenbach and Aether. Hopefully the quality is consistent.

Old 2010-02-09, 10:16pm

The Reichenbach crystal clear is awesome but the Reichenbach 104 "soft" clear is not worth the money - it scums/scorches/bubbles and does all the other things you hate your clear to do. The crystal clear on the other hand stands up to heat well, plays well with silver glass - plays well with everything I've tried it with so far - and encases beautifully. I don't think I can get a good comparison pix but I've switched to the Reich clear for my dichro stringers because they pull out crystal clear with great magnification of the dichro sparkle - I've had nothing but positive responses from my customers on the change
Both these beads are encased in the Reich crystal clear - the base glass is one of the new DH silver glass test lots

Old 2010-02-09, 10:37pm
Storm Queen

Good to know about the soft clear. I've been using the crystal.

Old 2010-02-09, 10:46pm
I like to melt things

I've been using the Crystal for two months and I love it. It turns silver a little yellow, but I've forgiven it for that.

You need to be a little careful of heat... it won't boil all that easily, but I've managed it a few times.

-
-
Old 2010-02-09, 10:50pm
I like to melt things

Here are some beads with Reichenbach Crystal:

-
-
Old 2010-02-10, 12:27am

The crystal clear is really nice. But I have to say, I get good results with Moretti super clear as well.
Tag Clarity is another nice clear.....
I'll share pics when I get a chance. Sorry I forgot about this thread.