Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-11, 2:11pm
SnakeBite

Default why are my beads cracking

hi,
I work on a HH, ver in a crock pot, crock pot set on high then when I am done making beads I unplug the crock pot and come back in 24 hrs, to take them off the mandrel and crack they go. Some of these beads take awhile to make it gets me so mad any ideas what I am doing wrong. do i need a klin? thanks every one
Old 2010-11-11, 2:15pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

What kind of beads are you making? Encased? If so, you need a kiln. If not encased, then you are waiting too long to put the bead in the vermiculite. It should still have a glow to it. IMO, Fiber blanket is much better for this type of cooling but you will definitely need a kiln soon, especially if you intend to sell the beads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-11-11, 2:17pm
Help i am on fire

Naos is right on.
Old 2010-11-11, 2:54pm

If you plan on doing this with any regularity I would also recommend a kiln.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-11-11, 2:55pm
Alaska Boro

There are also some colors that can not be batch annealed. The completed bead has to go into the kiln with mandrel while still glowing slightly red.
Old 2010-11-11, 3:11pm
SnakeBite

Thanks guys
Old 2010-11-11, 4:45pm
Glass-aholic

Also if you have thin or protruding parts, (raised dots, stringer work, wings etc) or the beads are thin around the mandrel they may crack. OR super big or super small beads will crack w/o a kiln a lot of times. I was without a kiln for a while and I know what you are going through. There is a fine line between putting a bead away too hot, or getting a warped and dented bead with vermiculite stuck on it. Try this: Do a bunch of test beads. The first set do the same shape and size and play with the timing of when you put your bead into the crock pot. You will find the right timing figured out when you take them off the next day. Make sure to put the first one in too hot, or what you think is too hot and go from there to a cooler stage. If you want to remember which one you did first try starting with red/orange/yellow go through the rainbow.. you will remember what you did the next day for sure. (you can skip colors in the rainbow, just do them in that order, so if you do a pink, and a blue, and a green, do the pink then the green then the blue)
NEXT do a set with some of the other shapes you are having trouble with. Try one too hot, a bit cooler and a bit cooler, 3 beads should be good, follow the color rule, and see your results in the AM.

Oh and make sure to get your crock pot hot before you start putting beads in it. I saw a great setup that had a coffee can with vermiculite in it, and it was surrounded by fiber blanket in the crock pot I dont know if this would work better. I think it might. I hate using the blanket, cuz i tend to put things away a little too hot. not hot enough for vermiculite to do any harm, but enough for the fiber to give it a little beard. Once I decided I was hooked on beads, I waited a long time for some money to get a kiln. I know how frustrating it can be.
Old 2010-11-11, 4:53pm
Unmedicated since '62

when i was using a crock pot anything bigger than my thumb eventually cracked - fact of life, not annealed.

you just need a kiln

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-11-11, 5:38pm
geekitude on two wheels

Make sure the beads have even heat in them before putting them in your vermiculite. THis has been called flame annealing, altho it's not really annealing at all. You will probably still get some breakage, but it should help. Any larger ( like an inch or bigger) pieces, especially if encased or have mixed color, are unlikely to survive no matter how careful you are tho. If you have access to a kiln you can batch anneal your survivors and they should be fine.
Old 2010-11-12, 2:19am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

are you encasing in lauchsa? that was the only thing that made my beads crack when I used vermiculite. Apart from that I always had good luck with it....
Old 2010-11-12, 6:50am
Formerly FishBulb

If your beads have any silver, silver glass or dichro in them they are more susceptible to cracking when put into vermiculite. Ditto if you use presses.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.