The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-11-24, 3:26pm
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Have you considered that the system might have been designed with those components in place for a reason? I am a design engineer and it is common and acceptable practice to choose components on the system level. This means that removing any one component may cause excessive stresses on some other part beyond it's specifications. I dont know that this is in fact the case but it is somewhat likely and could cause premature failure. If you have enough knowledge of the product to know that this is definitely not the case, please let us know as I too like to tinker with things a bit myself
The components I removed are primarily there to prevent patient disease from contaminating the system.

I'm also an engineer. The limiting component is the size of the sieve bed. Everything else is capable of several times the output.

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-11-25, 10:06am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Have you considered that the system might have been designed with those components in place for a reason? I am a design engineer and it is common and acceptable practice to choose components on the system level. This means that removing any one component may cause excessive stresses on some other part beyond it's specifications. I dont know that this is in fact the case but it is somewhat likely and could cause premature failure. If you have enough knowledge of the product to know that this is definitely not the case, please let us know as I too like to tinker with things a bit myself
You're a design engineer for what kind of products? I thought you were a paralegal for a family law practice. At least that's what you told about two months ago in the BR when I mentioned I was having some legal issues. Design engineer or paralegal? Which is it?

JEK3> I have the the exact same model you have. My oxycon seems to run OK but sometimes feel like something could be done to make it run more efficiently. I am using my oxycon with a GTT Cricket. I have my flowmeter wide open but keep my O2 level at 3.5 - 4 LPM. If I let my oxygen go above the 5LPM mark for more than 10 minutes or so, my machine alarms.

I would be very interested in comparing notes on what the flow of oxygen feels like coming out of your torch when there is no flame ignited. It barely feels like more than a baby whisper at 4LPM.
Old 2011-11-25, 12:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
You're a design engineer for what kind of products? I thought you were a paralegal for a family law practice. At least that's what you told about two months ago in the BR when I mentioned I was having some legal issues. Design engineer or paralegal? Which is it?
Both. I have a BSEE and have worked in the industry as well as consulted for almost 20 years as well as work with my wife at our law practice. How is that ANY interest of yours and why would you want to thread crap here?
Old 2011-11-25, 12:13pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

I know that this is a really old thread and you have most likely replaced your oxycon by now. I was trying to look up the oxycon you are talking about in your original post and.... If I remember correctly, I asked about this oxycon you are talking about and was told it was not powerful enough for lampworking needs. That it was primarily for filling tanks. I am not an authority and am really a newb but, I know I asked about several oxycons and I THINK this one specifically and was told it would not work.

I am guessing you have replaces it by now. Maybe? What did you go with? Are you happy with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle View Post
I've had my home studio setup since October of 2009. I'm finding it takes super long to make the simplest of beads, and I'm thinking my oxycon is the culprit...

So I'm wondering about whether I need to buy a second oxycon or fix the one I have (or maybe do both!) I have an Invacare Homefill Compatible SensO2. It says 5 on it. Now, I was talking to Jay at HobbiesforUs.com (he sells refurbished oxycons), and he was trying to explain to me the difference between LPM and psi. What I really want to know is: will a second oxycon give me that much more heat power to melt transparent glasses? And am I looking at LPM or psi as my guide? I only use soft glass, but I find that it takes so long just to make the simplest bead. A small heart might take 25 minutes, but at the local studio with oxygen tanks the glass melts so fast, it is way way faster.

The oxycon I'm looking at buying is a DeVilbiss 505 Model 10 PSI for $235 (shipping included). The way Jay at Hobbiesforus.com explains it to me, since my current oxycon is not getting 5 psi right now and it takes so long to melt glass, I'll most likely get about 7 psi with the two oxycons. To my thinking, if I'm getting about 3 psi right now, if I add 10 psi, I'd be getting about 13 psi, but that's not what he said...I just want to make sure the second oxycon is really going to make a difference. This is a large purchase for me and I want to be sure what I'd be getting is worth it!

Another question I have is: What is the difference between LPM (liters per minute) and psi (pounds per square inch)? How do these affect melting of the glass? I want to be able to encase beads without having to take over an hour just to encase a simple small bead. It takes me probably about 45 minutes to an hour to do the simplest plain encasing - that doesn't include the time to make the base bead, which is about 30 minutes!!

I tend to be slow making beads, but when transparent glass becomes like hot gooey honey in the local community studio within 2-3 minutes and it stays like granite (at home) and only melts about 1 inch of the rod after 10-15 minutes of heating, there's something wrong.

I'd appreciate any help with understanding what it is the difference between LPM and psi. How does it matter whether it's LPM or psi? I've heard so many people say they have a 5, 10 or even 15. I'd like to understand this better.
Old 2011-11-27, 8:17am
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
JEK3> I have the the exact same model you have. My oxycon seems to run OK but sometimes feel like something could be done to make it run more efficiently. I am using my oxycon with a GTT Cricket. I have my flowmeter wide open but keep my O2 level at 3.5 - 4 LPM. If I let my oxygen go above the 5LPM mark for more than 10 minutes or so, my machine alarms.

I would be very interested in comparing notes on what the flow of oxygen feels like coming out of your torch when there is no flame ignited. It barely feels like more than a baby whisper at 4LPM.
The sieve beds are designed for 5 LPM. Anything more and they can't quite keep up, so your alarm above 5 LPM sounds reasonable. I try not to go above 4.5 when I run my torch directly off the oxycon (I primarily use it to fill tanks using a Homefill unit). You may want to try a holding tank setup, which will give you the ability to crank up the flame for brief periods of time.

As for the "feel" of the flow, that will be difficult as it's subjective. I think it will mostly depend on your torch. I have a Minor, and it's a pretty quiet whisper at full flow. If I put my finger over the end, I can feel a little resistance pushing on my finger, and I get a noticeable (but still pretty quiet) hissing sound.

No fancy signature yet.