Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-13, 10:30am
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Let's Talk About Canyon de Chelly!

Since I posted my bead in the other thread I have received many requests concerning canyon tips and if I would write a tutorial. I will probably write a tutorial when hell freezes over as I just do not have the time and I do not care for writing unfortunately.

So.......I thought I would create a thread to share what I have learned about this glass so far. I cringe each time someone posts their distaste for this glass. I think it is amazing and there is so much to discover. Please feel free to post your own results, tips etc as well.

I believe I have used canyon for just about every type of bead I make, minus encased florals. It adores silver.........so slap some silver foil or leaf on the surface. I prefer foil due to ease of use. So it would make sense that it also loves silver glasses. I also use it without foil. I roll it in frit. I create twisties with it. Canyon makes lovely shards. Basically it is a lovely neutral reactive base glass.

So here are some examples of my beads and the different applications. First picture was posted in the previous thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-07-13, 10:37am
Angie09

Good afternoon,

Yipeeee ... this is one glass I just have never understood why people like it and now you're gonna tell me! Could you be so kind as to maybe tell us what glass is used in each of the photos above? I LOVE the colors you get and actually have some Canyon I thought about putting in the garage ... but I will keep it now!! Thanks so much for doing this!!!!

Angie
Old 2011-07-13, 10:43am
Jacqueline Parkes

Well I can't tell you all the glasses as I do not remember. I lost a lot of my data due to a computer crash a few months ago.

Just experiment with the silver glasses. I use raku, psyche, triton, nyx , clio and ekho mostly.

Most of the twisties are created with raku and black stripes and sometimes other silver glasses as well. Oh also multidark. I use silver ivory shards on top of the canyon as well, plus many different frit blends.

Old 2011-07-13, 10:43am
Lampworkaholic!

I find CdC very much like the original ASK Silver Cinnamon ....

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-07-13, 10:44am
Jacqueline Parkes

That is interesting erose. I never had the opportunity to use ASK silver cinnamon.

Old 2011-07-13, 10:47am
Lampworkaholic!

Here is an example of a set with CdC as the base ...

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-07-13, 10:58am
Angie09

Thanks Jacqueline ... any and all info is greatly appreciated!
Old 2011-07-13, 11:34am
Sheila Davis Designs

I love CDC! I use it alot too.
Attached Images

Old 2011-07-13, 11:46am
Jacqueline Parkes

Lovely beads erose and Shelia, is that eggplant I see there Sheila?

Old 2011-07-13, 12:05pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Ack!!! I'm OD'ing on GORGEOUSNESS!!!!!

Jacqueline - WOWSERS!!!! (On Second thought...make that DOUBLE WOWSERS!!!!)

And my VERY favorite set of Sheila's!! STILL LOVE THEM!!!!
Elizabeth - Soooooo Beautiful!!!!

LOOOOOOVE CDC too - it is such a chimera with different applications and it is sooo well-behaved!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-07-13, 2:03pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Hehe thanks Joan, and ack, I did not realize until now how huge that one picture is.

Old 2011-07-13, 2:28pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Your pics CANNOT BE too big Jacqueline!! I wouldn't mind a billboard size one of a focal as gorgeous as that one!!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-07-13, 5:47pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Thank You Jacqueline. What a treat.....each one is more beautiful than the other. those purples, blues and greens and all in between.

Do I see that, maybe, just perhaps, there is an ice crystal starting to take hold on lake hades?

During tonight's meditation I will envision ice crystals spreading.

YIPPIE, indeed, thank you for showing those.

angel blessings
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-07-13, 6:09pm
Loving learning

Those are gorgeous! I think that goes on my list of glass to get, woo hoo!
Old 2011-07-13, 6:30pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Old 2011-07-13, 7:37pm
Sarah Jane's grandma

Gorgeous beads!! I appreciate this because I just bought my first batch of Canyon de Chelly, and have wondered how best to use it. I've got some good ideas now! Thanks!

Old 2011-07-13, 8:14pm

Gems..that huge pic is simply fantastic..thats the type of organic look I strive for and it blew me away! I have CDC and haven't used it yet..so glad to see yours! Thank you! Now I have to go back and have another look
"

Old 2011-07-13, 8:21pm

OMG ... GORGEOUS beads Gemsinbloom!!!

Hmmm ... guess I'm going to have to dig out my stash and play.

Thanks for the lovely eyecandy!
Cheryl

Old 2011-07-13, 8:30pm
Whooooo, me?

Gem, You definitely have the silver glass rockin' with or without CDC.

I personally really like CDC...even all by itself!

Old 2011-07-13, 8:57pm
Uh Oh....

Oh wow, I didn't know CDC look so good. I can't get CDC to do anything but I did make a couple of Lavender Creek type toads with it.

Old 2011-07-13, 10:03pm

I love it! I made a stringer with it and did some victorian scrolls (from Kerri Fuhr's tut) and the scrolls have subtle shading differences which look really nice. Subtle, but nice.

Old 2011-07-13, 11:14pm
Naysayer

Gorgeous beads everyone!

And I also love CDC (I like that, I usually call it chelly).
I can get from purple to white, and yes it LOVES silver and silver glasses.

As far as I know, it does have silver in it correct?
Old 2011-07-14, 7:56am
Lampworkaholic!

It does have some silver in it. It's pronounced Canyon de Shay, in case anyone was wondering ....

Old 2011-07-14, 8:50am
I speak Murrini!

CdC is what gives my Conch Shell Murrini nice depth, I think! I had a hard time finding another "just right" neutral color that was dark enough to add definition to the ridged part of the shell without turning either too dark or too yellow:

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-07-14, 10:43am
Duchess of Dichro

De those are fabulous!! I love sea shells

Old 2011-07-14, 10:55am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildatHeart View Post
Gem, You definitely have the silver glass rockin' with or without CDC.

I personally really like CDC...even all by itself!
Aside from the eyes and nose, that is JUST CdC? My goodness.

When I first got started again, it was one I wanted. Then I started buying bug lots oh glass from people and none of the lots had it. Then, I kinda just forgot about it. Now, mama wants!
Old 2011-07-14, 5:51pm
Whooooo, me?

Yep, it is. Heat and cool and play around. Pinks and lavenders come out.

Old 2011-07-15, 12:11am
one day at a time

You are among those with the most amazing talent in the lampworking world! These beads almost knocked me out of my chair....just incredible! I love florals so much and I buy them, I sure don't make 'em!

I see that it makes a wonderful base color so now I have a new respect for it. I got baby poop yellow from it a few times before so I gave up. I would really like to know what glass is used for the bright violet flower petals in pics #5 and #6? Is that 104?? I'm thinking that if it is some kind of trick you did with edp or rubino...I'm going to scream! lol

Last edited by Lisi; 2011-07-15 at 12:14am.
Old 2011-07-15, 7:26am
Jacqueline Parkes

Um Lisi, not true but thank you for your kind words

Old 2011-07-15, 7:43am

I love the blossoms Gemsinbloom... they are amazing!
erose, what other combos did you use on the top of Cdc? I am lovin those beads.
My compliments to wildatheart for the outstanding owl bead.
De, your work is amazing no matter what you do.
And wow... I mewkittie, I want one of your frogs: )

I love Cdc too! It seems it can be tricky if you overheat or overwork it.
Attached Images