Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-20, 1:39am
HourGlass Studio

Default Veiled cane ( gaffer ) question....

Okay I am having some really weird things happen with "some" of the veiled cane. Especially the duos from GG Glass. For some reason they come out of the kiln almost clear. I am not overworking the color, nor is the flame too hot ( at least I dont think so ). Even just a plain round bead - comes out of the kiln almost clear.

I know some veiled can need a opaque base bead to show its colors better but these duos are really intense colors. Even with a opaque base I am still getting really clear beads. It looks like the color is just washed right out. I did turn down the heat and still the same thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-20, 4:44am
Striking-impared...

I worked with some Gaffer veiled cane awhile ago, but not the duos. I noticed that on my thicker/bigger beads, the color came through beautifully, while the smaller/thinner beads were very pale, almost clear.

I'm sure someone with more recent experience with the duos will show up and be able to help.

Old 2007-01-20, 6:19am
sunscreen me baby

The duos are hard to keep color. You need to work them stiff and slowly.

~

Old 2007-01-20, 8:25am
Ad astra per aspera

Gail's Duo colors are rather sensitive to heat. I've had trouble with burning out the sea green/lime and some of the lighter purples. The green/yellow and purple/pink are more "durable". The red/yellow is striking but much easier to strike than, for example, Moretti transparent red. Try working cooler and/or setting up a base in clear or a complementary color (Uroboros dark aqua looks great under the sea green/lime duo, and Gail's dark hyacinth is a great base of any of the purple duos).

Old 2007-01-20, 12:38pm
HourGlass Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasminann View Post
I worked with some Gaffer veiled cane awhile ago, but not the duos. I noticed that on my thicker/bigger beads, the color came through beautifully, while the smaller/thinner beads were very pale, almost clear.

I'm sure someone with more recent experience with the duos will show up and be able to help.
I have also noticed that the thicker rods are easier to get color out of. Yeah the smaller beads go clear almost instantly.....even before going in the kiln. I made a huge heart backed with some caliente white ( gaffer ) and it helped a bit. I do have some white Uroboros, may have to pull it out and give it a try. I guess I was just expecting the color of the bead to be the color of the rod.

Last edited by Laurie L; 2007-01-20 at 12:42pm.
Old 2007-01-20, 12:39pm
HourGlass Studio

I tried working them really cool, farther out in the flame. Got a bit more color but nothing like they should look in my head. LOL.

Old 2007-01-20, 8:48pm

try some of the gaffer cane from gafferglassusa.com. Some of the most beautiful colors I've seen yet. They work up with the swirls of the 2 colors running through your bead. Try the mustard yellow encased in crimsom awsome!
Joyce
Old 2007-01-20, 11:42pm
HourGlass Studio

I was actually wanting to order some from them but was having such crappy results that I decided maybe I shouldnt order and waste my money. I would love to buy a few rods to try. Might have to rethink this. LOL.

Old 2007-01-22, 1:32pm
1 Martini Shy of Nirvana!

the more glass you melt, when it comes to veiled cane, the better. Because the colour is layered with clear you really don't have a lot of colour showing on a small bead. Some colours are also more intense than others as well. If you look at the rod from the tip down see how many rings of colour there is...obviously the more rings the more the intense the colour will be. I know some veiled cane out there only has the one ring so it will be pretty light. We try to get 3-4 rings in the cane.

If you have any other questions give me a shout as the veiled cane is all made the same way, no matter which company.

Old 2007-01-22, 4:32pm

Veiled cane.... hmmm one of my newest passions. Ohhh the wisps of color!

I actually purchased some of all ggglass.com color about 2 months ago, studied each color and experimented / played with a full rod of every duo and veiled color offered. out of the hundred or so rods, only 10 were difficult to work with, and none were duos.

I have attached some photos that illustrate how vibrant veiled cane can be. The color is true to the bead in hand. All beads are solid 96coe, some have olympic color rod base, then the ggglass veil, most have veiled white as a base, then the duo, then the veiled zanfirico cane pulled down and applied to the bead.

Here is what I have discovered. In a nutshell, it took me about 20 torch hours to learn to tame this glass. I liken all veiled cane regardless of where you get it as fine / premium art material. It ALL demands special treatment. Be patient and give yourself to understanding the material. I invested about 2,000.00 of the stuff from different suppliers for myself and my students. Half from ggglass. Every student leaves knowing how to retain the color. EVERY ONE. Patience mixed with experimentation is essential.

All veiled cane needs to be worked not only cool, but in the upper portion of the flame range. If your not at least 6-7 inches away from the torch tip, your working it too hot. If you use a little narrow flame, this glass will be frustrating. ADJUST THE FLAME & experiment.

The cane likes a bushy unfocused flame, that gently caresses the glass into shape, the more flame settings and flame range adjustments you can make on your torch , the better. widen the flame to about 3/4 to 1" and work the glass towards the upper part of the flame. You do not loose the ability to capture detail in a bushy flame. Tombo Dama artists achieve intricate detail with their a3 Intl torches... The attached photos below illustrate my ggglass veiled cane duos, veiled, & zanfirico use.

HEAT CONTROL IS THE KEY TO VEIL CANE SUCCESS As soon as the color you have either heated or applied to the bead turns transparent in the heat, you have over heated and the color has been "burned out". As someone else mentioned, you need to work stiff. Meaning glass should be pliable, not fully molten. With the exception of a few true striking colors, this stuff is NOT not striking stock. Once the encased/layered color has been over heated, the color is gone it is a one shot deal. All veiled cane is like this.

ENCASEMENT & LAYERING: If you use a veiled cane white, ivory, or black base then apply your color veil or "duo" and melt, the color will not be as vibrant because when we shape and heat, some of the color is lost or on light colors like lemon or light pinks it will go almost clear. To prevent this, apply the layering COOL, then encase in clear to seal in the color and wisp effect. Then you can heat it as much as you like. I let the heat gradually penatrate all the way to the core for all my beads... even veil designs like the ones shown below.

Thin or thick rods? I do not have trouble retaining the color in either (with the exception of the 10 out of a 100 colors as mentioned prior)
I like the thin rods and the thick rods for different effects. If you want a wispy tube, apply like stringer but place the full rod dead center in the upper bushy flame tip as you apply to the bead/marble. Rod should remain in the center of the top portion of your flame during the application. Thin rods demand a lighter touch, but if worked cool, then encased, they are wonderful flowing tubes of ethereal wispy color.

I love all the veiled cane suppliers! It is wonderful to pick and choose from everyone. We will like some colors over others naturally, but just like the "who makes the best torch" debate will go on forever, so will the who supplies the best specialty product debate. Its all glass, and its all good to me! I do not post often, but since I am knee deep in my 96 coe glass studies and added veiled glass into the mix two months ago, I sincerly hope my 2 cents helped in some way?

I loved hearing everyones experiences and would like to hear from others as it will help me also. Thanks

Starleen
Attached Images

Old 2007-01-22, 7:37pm

Starleen - great information and wonderful beads. I'm saving this one for sure!

Lara

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2007-01-22, 8:08pm
Ad astra per aspera

Bravo, Starleen, great info and GORGEOUS BEADS!!!

Old 2007-01-31, 1:57pm
Addicted to Frit!!!

Yes Star, as always you have excellent information that we can refer back to when needed!!!

Thanks,
Robin

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on

Old 2007-01-31, 11:13pm
HourGlass Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobiebeads View Post
the more glass you melt, when it comes to veiled cane, the better. Because the colour is layered with clear you really don't have a lot of colour showing on a small bead. Some colours are also more intense than others as well. If you look at the rod from the tip down see how many rings of colour there is...obviously the more rings the more the intense the colour will be. I know some veiled cane out there only has the one ring so it will be pretty light. We try to get 3-4 rings in the cane.

If you have any other questions give me a shout as the veiled cane is all made the same way, no matter which company.
Thanks Michelle...I actually dont have a problem with your cane - I love it. Its the other manufacturers that I seem to have a problem with....I guess I need to make larger beads to get more color.

Old 2007-01-31, 11:17pm
HourGlass Studio

WOW Starleen what a fountain of info !!! The best I have heard yet on how to work this stuff. Bravo. I have been doing most colors wrong the entire time. Thank you so much for sharring !!!!

Old 2007-02-01, 5:55am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Can some others show me what they do with veiled cane? I love your stuff Star!!! I want to see more!!

Old 2007-02-02, 8:50pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I made one!

Old 2007-02-02, 9:01pm
mystical cat lover 56

beautiful !
Old 2007-02-03, 6:43am
Ad astra per aspera

I just wanted to add to Starleen.....I got to see your beads in PERSON at Gail's booth in Tucson. They're GORGEOUS!!!!! (Can we have a bowing down in awe smiley, please?)

Old 2007-02-28, 10:30pm

Sorry for not following up sooner against this post. I do not frequent the forums often.

Debbie, you really captured the color in that bead. Bravo! I love the black helix zanfirico. Black and pink are just one sweet color combination. Bring em on girl, lets see whats going on in that studio of yours.

Karen, thanks so much for the kind words. They were my first attempts, and boy was it hard for me to learn to relax and send that work to AZ... I am a floral artist, so it was therapy for me I think my mantra should be "things do not need to be perfect all the time" but how will I function? Sigh.

Here are a few newer gaffer beads. I am still enjoying the gaffer rush and I have just about nailed crisp florals over wispy backgrounds. Not easy with 96coe. Everything I try is super reactive, but I like a hard fight.

-- Starleen
Attached Images

Old 2007-03-01, 12:11pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

GORGEOUS!!