Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-09-30, 12:27pm

Smile

I love my new Cricket too! The major issue has been getting used to how hot it is... if I want to have raised dots/bosses I have to watch it or, poof, those babies are melted in! I'm on natural gas and an EX-10 concentrator and it is fantastic!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cricket, Oxy Con, Natural Gas
Old 2008-10-01, 8:49am

Ok couldnt stand it any longer. Just talked to GTT and comfirmed my order for a hot pink Cricket. Was really bummed couldnt make the Gathering this year again becasue of family issues and knew all the great deals I would be missing out on so THANK YOU GTT for extending the intro price for us too! Suppose to shp next week adn CANT WAIT!!!!!!!

Robyn
Old 2008-10-01, 10:52am

Default I would love to

hear fromt hose of you who are using this torch with tanked oxygen!

SRA #C88

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-01, 12:17pm

I hooked mine up to the tank yesterday and it goes gangbusters! Very hot. My only problem is that it whines. Anybody else's whining? I am sure it must be the way I have the pressures set but can't work out how to stop it. I seem to have adjusted it every which way.

Kym
Old 2008-10-01, 1:13pm
PyronamixK

Kym, check and make sure that there isn't something caught in the filter screens.
Old 2008-10-01, 2:06pm

Does anyone have a picture of the hot pink torch? I can't decide on a color but I have narrowed it down to pink or purple.
Old 2008-10-01, 2:26pm
Sheila

I didn't take a picture of the pink one I got for my sister and I've already sent it to her. It's a light colored hot pink. Like pale fuschia flowers. It's a shade lighter than the pink on Zoozii's site (http://zooziis.com/).

The purple is a reddish purple, sort of like Moretti purple. I expected it to be like Ink Blue, and it's not.

Old 2008-10-01, 2:45pm
I poop flowers.

I wrote GTT last week to order my new Cricket.

They called me back, but I wasn`t home, so I ended up calling them last Friday, thinking I could order it over the phone, and was told their secretary was away and she would call me on Monday to place the order. (?) I never received the call, and have since spent my torch money on vet bills and some odds and ends things.

Now I need to save up all over again.
I`m beginning to think I wasn`t meant to be a lampworker.

Ok, whine over.

Velvet

"There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate." ---Charles Dickens
Old 2008-10-01, 8:20pm

Thanks Kim, I will check that when I get home.

Ta
Kym
Old 2008-10-02, 10:10am

I was messing around doing some fuming with this torch yesterday and wow that barrel gets freaking hot. damn! I think for us bigger GTT torch people its odd, such a small torch and cant really support my hands on my torch mounted marvers. in any case I found out just how hot the barrel gets. it did a nice an easy job of fuming however. will try gold today.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-10-02, 3:31pm
I poop flowers.

I didn`t want my above post to sound like I was bashing GTT, if it did, I`m sorry. I just was expressing my disappointment that I had to spend my torch money on other things. This hasn`t been a great week. One of our dogs died this morning, a pipe sprung a leak under our house warranting a plumber vi$it this afternoon, and on top of all that DH has come down with a nasty cold. Ok, now that I think of it, today is the suckiest thing about this week.... but I digress....

Velvet

"There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate." ---Charles Dickens
Old 2008-10-02, 3:43pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

Aww .... I didn't see it as bashing them at all.
It sucks to put something off you were looking forward to.
but your priorities come first of course!!

I'm sorry about your troubles.

Old 2008-10-03, 4:24am
I poop flowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyloo View Post

Thanks, Elly!!

Velvet

Old 2008-10-03, 8:53am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyloo View Post

My thoughts exactly.
Old 2008-10-03, 10:47am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I love my cricket, but was disappointed at the color of the knobs I got. I got the sparkly purple knobs to match my torch, but the tops are not as well marked as I would like. The propane knob top is pretty much a pinkish purple color - not noticeably red. The Oxy knob top is silver and appears to have no color at all. I spoke to Wally about it and he said they had noticed that the colors were not quite right although they were actually painted red and green. There is something in the process that made them not turn out the right color. I don't remember the details . They were willing to switch them for regular red and green knobs for free, but of course, I would have to ship it back to do that and I'm not willing to pay $20 to $30 for shipping to have the knobs switched. He did suggest that there is an enamel paint at hobby stores that I could use to mark them better, but I don't really want to deface my torch!

Anyway, due to the hoses being colored and being right below the knobs, I am able to reference the knobs easily, but I do think the knob tops need to be colored more strongly.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-03, 12:00pm
I'll get there!

I just hooked up mine and wow, what a difference. The glass melts so fast its hard to keep up. But, I have question, the manual states that it can run on as lo as 1/4 psi propane pressure, but is there an upper limit? The manual states that you should adjust the regulator to 5 lbs pressure, but my regulator has a lower limit of 1 bar, wich according to the regulator manual is about 14 psi....
Old 2008-10-03, 10:51pm

Default Cricket flame

I figured it out finally. I had my gas tooo low, not too high. Now that I have it turned up more, its going much better and not whining.

Thanks
Kym
Old 2008-10-05, 10:42am
Pyromaniac

I read through this thread and I may have missed it but . . . what is the setting for oxy tanks or liquid oxy? Propane is 5 psi and oxy is 10?
I'm sure it's in the manual, but I don't have one yet and inquiring minds want to know.

I showed these pictures to my daughters 11 and 13; one of them wants lime green and one wants sparkly purple!

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-10-05, 6:56pm

Ordered 2 sparkly purple ones so I can teach beginners in my studio, just aquired an extra room, will probably be after the first of the year to get it finished but won't have this price for long. After all the great reviews can't wait to get them. Dicrodi
Old 2008-10-05, 7:05pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

If you are going to be teaching on them, I highly recommend the regular red and green knobs - the custom colors are nice, but the tops of the knobs are not a true red and green the way they should be.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-07, 10:56am
Boro Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
If you are going to be teaching on them, I highly recommend the regular red and green knobs - the custom colors are nice, but the tops of the knobs are not a true red and green the way they should be.
I wonder why...mine are a true red and green at the ends, but my knobs are custom sparkle emerald. Is it possible they fixed the problem they were having? Or maybe it has something to do with the color I got?

Old 2008-10-07, 9:41pm
PyronamixK

About the knobs... The regular red and green knobs are annodized and colored red and green. To get the custom colored knobs, the regular knobs are powder coated on the sides (leaving the ends red and green). The heat of the baking process faded the original red and green.
Old 2008-10-07, 9:44pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelleAlice View Post
I just hooked up mine and wow, what a difference. The glass melts so fast its hard to keep up. But, I have question, the manual states that it can run on as lo as 1/4 psi propane pressure, but is there an upper limit? The manual states that you should adjust the regulator to 5 lbs pressure, but my regulator has a lower limit of 1 bar, wich according to the regulator manual is about 14 psi....
That's fine - you can set it to 14 psi, no problem. Just remember that the higher your pressure, the less you have to turn the valve to make an adjustment.
Old 2008-10-07, 9:47pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
I read through this thread and I may have missed it but . . . what is the setting for oxy tanks or liquid oxy? Propane is 5 psi and oxy is 10?
I'm sure it's in the manual, but I don't have one yet and inquiring minds want to know.

I showed these pictures to my daughters 11 and 13; one of them wants lime green and one wants sparkly purple!
I don't know what they have in the manual. The 5 psi for propane and 10 psi for oxygen is fine. It's more than the torch will need, but it's better for the regulator to have it set higher.
Old 2008-10-07, 10:25pm
Entropy increasing....

So, do we love it?

I'm thinking of getting one.
Old 2008-10-07, 11:18pm
Boro Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
So, do we love it?

I'm thinking of getting one.
Totally. Dooo it Kevan!

Let me put it this way...I love it enough to have gotten my hands on a couple more oxygen concentrators so I can do a lot more at home without having to lug tanks around and spend $ on oxygen. I will be able to do quite a bit of my normal work on this torch run by two 5lpm oxy cons. The only stuff I won't be able to do is my really large stuff that I typically use the outer flame of the mirage on at the studio. And anyone that has seen me work knows that I like to work my boro really hot and clean. This torch will do that on 5 lpm oxy cons. I am blown away by it. Does that help?

Old 2008-10-08, 5:09am
Satake Woman!

I'm loving it for the same reason you do Pipyr. I've been making large hollow boro blown beads, something I never could have done with the betta and 2 concentrators.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2008-10-08, 5:29am

Ohh I can't wait to melt some boro with it! I need to build a better ventsystem first and I dont have any space for that. I work in my sleeping-room im my dad's house.
When i'm all grown up I'll build myself a nice little studio.

Old 2008-10-08, 8:41am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipyr View Post
I wonder why...mine are a true red and green at the ends, but my knobs are custom sparkle emerald. Is it possible they fixed the problem they were having? Or maybe it has something to do with the color I got?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
About the knobs... The regular red and green knobs are annodized and colored red and green. To get the custom colored knobs, the regular knobs are powder coated on the sides (leaving the ends red and green). The heat of the baking process faded the original red and green.
Either they have addressed the problem, or the sparkly emerald paint process didn't fade the ends like the sparkly purple did . My "red" knob top is purply pink and my "green" knob top is silver - no color at all. Fortunately, the hoses come up right under the knobs, so I use that as my visual cue on which knob is which.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-08, 8:41am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipyr View Post
Totally. Dooo it Kevan!

Let me put it this way...I love it enough to have gotten my hands on a couple more oxygen concentrators so I can do a lot more at home without having to lug tanks around and spend $ on oxygen. I will be able to do quite a bit of my normal work on this torch run by two 5lpm oxy cons. The only stuff I won't be able to do is my really large stuff that I typically use the outer flame of the mirage on at the studio. And anyone that has seen me work knows that I like to work my boro really hot and clean. This torch will do that on 5 lpm oxy cons. I am blown away by it. Does that help?
I have my cricket on two oxycons too and it rocks!!!

DOG is my co-pilot