Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-12-02, 3:13pm
product of the universe

Default china white

Any one tried it? I ordered a crapload and really like it. Works great for beads. It's not the end all white but damn good just the same. Smooth, vibrant and no bubbles. Just thought i'd spread the word.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-12-02, 6:41pm
Harold Williams Cooney

called ust adam. says one month out; priced to black. who else has some at black prices?

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2009-12-02, 8:38pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Is it better than the borosticks white?
That's what I've been using lately.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-12-02, 8:52pm
szglassy

who makes it.it looks nice!
Old 2009-12-02, 8:56pm
Harold Williams Cooney

made by 'china'

Old 2009-12-02, 9:09pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post
made by 'china'
Does that mean its porcelain?

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-12-02, 9:44pm
product of the universe

Quote:
called ust adam. says one month out; priced to black. who else has some at black prices?
What's the black price? I have 20 lbs and 88 more on the way i'm sure i could part with a few lbs.

PHP Code:
Does that mean its porcelain
nope just a white, looks kinda like porcelain though.

Quote:
Is it better than the borosticks white?
That's what I've been using lately.
You know all i am gonna say is it depends on what your doing. I don't know if there is a right answer. I like borostix white for things, i like all the other whites for other things. This white seems to fit quite a few applications that i've had issues with using other whites.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-12-02, 10:22pm

Paul picked some up, and TAG will be re-selling it (as White Tiger) for $25/lb as long as this shipment lasts.... I am trying to get the newsletter out by the end of this week. But the shop boys are l-o-v-i-n-g it.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-12-03, 1:16am
product of the universe

Hey Jenny have you guys tested the coe? If you have what are the results? I'm not at all worried just curious. The glass seems to work fine for me even bench cooling line tube made outta it.

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-12-03, 5:51pm

Hey Chris! I checked with Paul, and he says so far, the COE looks to be "in the zone." We have had no problems at all in the few days we've had it. The shop guys say it has passed all the tests they have put it through so far, with flying colors -- so to speak. Graininess in the rods appears to smooth right out. And no visible lines from coil-potting:

Paul did note that he can't be absolutely certain these are the same glass, he hasn't seen yours up close, but it likely is. He calls it pretty sweet, notes that it doesn't boil, and says it's very smooth, is buttery and dense, is VERY white. He's pleased - he did work with them on this formula. Of course, Paul almost ALWAYS thinks something can be improved, tho!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-12-03, 6:51pm
Harold Williams Cooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayes View Post
What's the black price? I have 20 lbs and 88 more on the way i'm sure i could part with a few lbs.
I have purchased black for as little as $3.80/pound and as much as $8/pound.

PM me if you have some to sell. I'm in no rush; it's a lifelong profession.

Old 2009-12-07, 7:00pm
Lampworker

Best.....white.....ever!!!!
Old 2009-12-08, 3:19am

Okay so where do we find this elusive white?? I saw that TAG has the white tiger for $25 per pound and that's not a bad price but definitely not the same price as black.
Old 2009-12-08, 4:40pm
product of the universe

I did some handmixing tests with opaque colors including orange,and yellow crayon, here is a pic of what i came up with.
Attached Images

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-12-08, 6:11pm

oooooh very creamy and tropical looking.
Old 2009-12-08, 6:49pm
Harold Williams Cooney

sick.

Old 2010-03-07, 4:36pm
Boro Bum

So who is selling this ? I cant seem to find it.

Thx
AcidFly
Old 2010-03-09, 12:35pm

I really like it ~ creamy smooth, no bubbles. I do find it a bit stiffer and more opaque than the other whites.

Old 2010-03-11, 9:32pm
Always with a smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Woman View Post
I really like it ~ creamy smooth, no bubbles. I do find it a bit stiffer and more opaque than the other whites.
I agree with Leslie, smooth to appy and stayes opaque and doesn't boil for me.

) and
)
Old 2010-03-14, 11:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFly View Post
So who is selling this ? I cant seem to find it.

Thx
AcidFly
generations has it, you just have to call
Old 2010-03-15, 5:55am
Boro Bum

Thx I got some from Trev's Glass

AcidFly
Old 2010-03-16, 3:58am
Mandrel Slayer

I got some from TAG. Wow is all I can say. I was really cooking it and it did not boil. First white I did not boil some how without encasing the rod.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2010-03-16, 9:16am

Don't encase it too deep, our blowers are finding it works best without encasing.. The most beautiful white lilly yesterday it was encased in clear and the clear cracked after the fact..
Just thought I'd pass that along as it works great without encasing...
Old 2010-03-16, 7:59pm
Mandrel Slayer

I encased it with NS Pom and both beads cracked. One was flattened so that could be my fault. Not sure about the bicone that cracked though. Bummer, I really like it.

Bonny

Nothing right now

Old 2010-03-17, 10:56am

Kait made a marble with it and used Elvis Red and it was fine they were swirls together, and she made one with melted in green dots and neither one of them cracked..
Old 2010-03-17, 4:28pm

FWIW our encased tests here have not cracked. We are also selling the White Tiger in a FRIT. yes FRIT. Fine, medium, coarse and chunky. $5/ 2oz. jar.

Old 2010-03-18, 2:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
FWIW our encased tests here have not cracked. We are also selling the White Tiger in a FRIT. yes FRIT. Fine, medium, coarse and chunky. $5/ 2oz. jar.
y so expensive? it's on $15 a lb...........
Old 2010-03-18, 3:57am
Mandrel Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithfirebeads View Post
I encased it with NS Pom and both beads cracked. One was flattened so that could be my fault. Not sure about the bicone that cracked though. Bummer, I really like it.

Bonny
I am thinking this was my fault. I was working these beads for awhile. I will be trying the encasing again.

Nothing right now

Old 2010-03-18, 5:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorosilliBeader View Post
y so expensive? it's on $15 a lb...........
It's looking like "supply and demand" has moved the scale up or so it would seem. Not saying anything bad, just saying, it was very cheap just a few months ago. Now if you look it's going up like gas. I've heard just as many bad's as the good's .... the same person that speaks good about it today will tell you different once they crack a piece they have a couple hours in. I'm still trying to support our USA Manufactures but something tells me, within a year, we'll have an entire new market to be picking from. Sad really, but I guess price is price and during these hard times what can be expected.
Old 2010-03-20, 12:35am

fwiw trev's has it for $15 and it's the same stuff tag is selling...... smack it with a hammer a few times and voila.... frit....... Chris, can you post a better pic of the Bub in your second pic.......that piece is sweet and perfectly shows what can be done with this white......