Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-18, 10:37am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I'm going to see if I have any and play with it. Do you think it might be quick chilling from brass? I just love the colors you got.
I don't think it's necessarily the chilling from brass because I made some pretty ugly brown Sedona lentils.
My assumption is that the time is a bigger factor. The longer I work, the uglier the color gets

Etsy Vintage shop
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Webpage ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-02, 7:50pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Senape.
The first lot was lovely - a lovely olive green colour. So I ordered some.
Calfshit green/puke yellow. Bloody awful.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-01-02, 9:14pm

Senape? I think I never even heard of it.
Do you have a picture?

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-01-02, 9:35pm
Happy Inner Dragon

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...25&postcount=8
This is what I got last order. Yuk!!! There's nothing nice I can do with it to date. It's all horrible

The one I'd had before was more like this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...06&postcount=4

Now that I've looked it up, it must have been very old stock that I'd got first

SRA# P107
Old 2012-01-02, 9:42pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Just in case you don't know (and maybe you do) there is a Vetrofond 460 and an Effetre (Moretti) 460... the Vetrofond is more green and the Effetre is more yellow. I love them both.

Old 2012-01-02, 9:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...25&postcount=8
This is what I got last order. Yuk!!! There's nothing nice I can do with it to date. It's all horrible

The one I'd had before was more like this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...06&postcount=4

Now that I've looked it up, it must have been very old stock that I'd got first
Ah yes - Yellow Ochre. Got you. Didn't know the other name.
I have two different Yellow Ochre ... one more yellow, the other more green. But one is Effetre, the other Vetrofond (so not two different batches of the same manufacturer).
Maybe that's why you have two different colors?

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-01-02, 9:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
Just in case you don't know (and maybe you do) there is a Vetrofond 460 and an Effetre (Moretti) 460... the Vetrofond is more green and the Effetre is more yellow. I love them both.
Ooops, sorry Donna. Didn't see you answered that one already

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-01-02, 10:02pm
"Sinners have soul too"

No worries Judith

Old 2012-01-02, 10:14pm
Glass Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
But isn't that red pretty? Too bad I have one of those rods left and a about 20 of the "others"
I think the dual-tonailty awesome!!! I love the "more-bang-for-your-buck" approach... especially when it comes to making torso/goddess beads!! The more weird marbling within one color rod the better!! PM if you have some Superman to rid yourself of, I'll be your Lex Luthor

Old 2012-01-02, 10:25pm

The vetrofond also has an odd which looks the same called, "Wasabi"
I love the yellow ocher. If you add that with persimmon and green, it makes fabulous autumn colors. I used those three for shards and they were awesome!

Old 2012-01-02, 10:35pm
Glass Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lldesigns View Post
Hey maybe we can do a fugly color exchange!
I'm in!!

Old 2012-01-02, 11:32pm
Glass Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
Someone needs to explain CIM Mink to me. If I went to college in Santa Cruz, I would have a use for it but, other than that? (obscure slug reference)
When placed next to CiM Gunmetal it goes bronze and yummy!!!

Old 2012-01-02, 11:37pm
I like to melt things

CiM Mink is tricky, but it loves silver. Silver melted into the surface goes blue and green, and stays blue and green after you encase it. I haven't used any in the 2+ years since this blog post, but I keep meaning to play with it again.
http://melanie-graham.blogspot.com/search/label/Mink

You have to anneal Mink at a higher temperature - I had lots of failure with it until I started annealing at 980.

-
-
Old 2012-01-02, 11:48pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Key Lime. Looks like snot.
Old 2012-01-03, 12:12am
Glass Addict

This is by far the funniest and most amusing thread I've read in awhile... the DH kept coming out of the bedroom to see what I was chuckling/guffawing so loudly over!!

Well... some artist's ucky-gack colors are definitely other's favorite's... and I am no exception...

American Beauty 104.. it looked so pretty on the Frantz Art Glass shop when I ordered it... what I got, though not ugly if you expected it, was rusty orange with wispy brown streaks... ummm.... really!! American Beauty?? Hmmm.... maybe a misnomer?? It looks exactly like Petrified Wood... at least when you sculpt it it does!

And Moss Agate?? Black with a Kelly Green core??? Gack!!! Who thought of that combo!! That's certainly NOT what I thought I'd be getting based on the pic in the online shop! CiM ginger... still haven't used it and probably won't ever...

I love the neutrals and "autumn tones"... have had a ton of luck with reds, oranges, Bordello and striking Red as well as off-shade greens and olives... not so much with Sedona. I love what OTHER people make with it... I just devit it to death! Same with Calico...

Here is a "torso Goddess" bead made with American Beauty (rust orange with brown wisps), Cosmic Storm (yellow), Moss Agate (black with Kelly Green core), Marine Blue Deity Duo (stiff snotty tempermental stuff!!!) and a Light/Med. Red with Striking red encasement (female torso... my favorite to date)...

I have decided that 2012 will be my year of making a torso bead in each and every color I buy, just to see how it likes being sculpted, manipulated and forced into conformity

In the kiln tonight is Lichen Dark ODD (Love, Love, Love that color!!!), Grasshopper Green and Lover Boy
Attached Images

Old 2012-01-03, 12:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
CiM Mink is tricky, but it loves silver. Silver melted into the surface goes blue and green, and stays blue and green after you encase it. I haven't used any in the 2+ years since this blog post, but I keep meaning to play with it again.
http://melanie-graham.blogspot.com/search/label/Mink

You have to anneal Mink at a higher temperature - I had lots of failure with it until I started annealing at 980.
Oh Melanie, that's a great review of Mink.
Love the reactions you got with the silver foil and Copper Green.
Now, if I just could overcome my general aversion to brown.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-01-09, 12:01am
I like to melt things

Thanks Judith!

I love Brown, and I really love the reaction Mink has with silver. My only issue with Mink is its finicky nature - it needs to be annealed hotter than I really like to anneal, and you need to be careful about encasing it thickly.

-
-
Old 2012-01-09, 12:38am

Oh, I have no patience for glass that needs to be annealed higher than my usual annealing temperature.
Goes right into the Garage Sale!
I really don't want to fiddle around with the annealing schedule every day, and my usual temperature works just fine for all the glass that I love.

Now, if somebody came up with a very very special glass that does some amazing stuff ... but needs higher/different temperatures ... I would be open to negotiations

But not for a brown *shudder*.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-01-25, 8:11pm

Canyon de Chelly. Looks like baby poop! Then there's that color that looks like slugs by messy. I agree, honey crunch is a reason to get your shop vac out. It's pretty if you survive the flying chunks! I love Sedona! It can be difficult but it is a great accent color. I agree on opaque sage. Totally flies around when it hits the flame. Never tried fish pink but I think whoever named it must have doomed it from the start...lol!

Old 2012-01-25, 10:29pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

I really don't like ns jade boro very much, but it does have nice workability.
Old 2012-01-25, 11:47pm
I like to melt things

This thread amazes me every time it is bumped. So many of these 'ugly' colours are some of my favourites!

Canyon de Chelly, Honey Crunch, Sedona and Opaque Sage are all beautiful colours to me. Honey Crunch is definitely annoying to work with, but when you see the results, it's hard to have any hard feelings about it. Canyon de Chelly is one of the best base colours for organics that I have yet encountered.

-
-
Old 2012-01-27, 5:33pm
Artistically Absorbed

I agree it is amazing to see people hate on colors I love. I am in love with Coral, each and every one of them. Candy Apple Red...although not sure it is name appropriate...pulled out it is the the darkest red orange, love it! Sedona is another favorite, yummy peach toned EDP. I really like Dry Martini with Slytherin and all of the earthy greens. Marmorin isn't all that pretty on its own but it makes R Multi Dark sing. I'm always thinking even if I don't like a color there will be a moment in time where that color is exactly right.
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-01-29, 8:19am
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
This thread amazes me every time it is bumped. So many of these 'ugly' colours are some of my favourites!

Canyon de Chelly, Honey Crunch, Sedona and Opaque Sage are all beautiful colours to me. Honey Crunch is definitely annoying to work with, but when you see the results, it's hard to have any hard feelings about it. Canyon de Chelly is one of the best base colours for organics that I have yet encountered.
I bought a bunch of Sedona after I read your blog post about it, and the colours I got were nothing like yours! Plus it devoured every other thing I put on it -- murrini, stringer, whatever -- and left a spotty black mess. Sometimes I'm convinced you have a magic touch! If my Sedona looked like your Sedona I'd be all over it myself.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-01-29, 8:32am
sunscreen me baby

lol Angie, she is magic! I have some sedona and I couldn't get it to be gorgeous either. Although now I'm going to have to try again.

~

Old 2012-01-29, 11:26am
"Sinners have soul too"

Is Sedona that crazy opal yellow color with EDP in the middle? I have like one rod of it and I have no idea what to do with it. And Opal Yellow is one of my most favorite colors.

Old 2012-01-30, 1:07pm
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilegoddess View Post
I think the dual-tonailty awesome!!! I love the "more-bang-for-your-buck" approach... especially when it comes to making torso/goddess beads!! The more weird marbling within one color rod the better!! PM if you have some Superman to rid yourself of, I'll be your Lex Luthor

I just saw this. I pmed you to see what you might want to trade for it.

~

Old 2012-01-30, 4:49pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
Is Sedona that crazy opal yellow color with EDP in the middle? I have like one rod of it and I have no idea what to do with it. And Opal Yellow is one of my most favorite colors.
My Sedona is a really pretty mostly solid opaque magenta in rod form. And it can be really pretty dark pink/purple if you melt it, but not work it. Dammit.
Mine keeps reducing to dark grey
But if you encase it as soon as you melt it, it's a lovely dusky dark pink
The one on the left is encased Sedona. FYI, the next ones are Alexandrite, and Seashell Swirl. Ugh! I won't bother encasing those again.

SRA# P107
Old 2012-01-30, 4:55pm
Loving learning

Hmmm, I think I'll be trying to encase my Sedona next time I go out, thanks Di!
Old 2012-01-30, 11:15pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTantuli View Post
I agree it is amazing to see people hate on colors I love. I am in love with Coral, each and every one of them. Candy Apple Red...although not sure it is name appropriate...pulled out it is the the darkest red orange, love it! Sedona is another favorite, yummy peach toned EDP. I really like Dry Martini with Slytherin and all of the earthy greens. Marmorin isn't all that pretty on its own but it makes R Multi Dark sing. I'm always thinking even if I don't like a color there will be a moment in time where that color is exactly right.
-Echo
Thanks for the tip with the Marmorin. I've not got the Multi Dark, so I'm trying my luck with the plain one

SRA# P107
Old 2012-12-14, 7:52pm
professional gimme fiver

Lime Sweet, Strawberry Sweet, American Beauty - I forgot about the fugliness of those colors.