LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Old 2006-05-22, 2:10pm
FireandFibers

Question Wildcat & M20 Concentrator?

Anyone successfully running a Wildcat on a M20?

Or if the answer is no.....

If you have a M20 concentrator what kind of torch are you running?

Fire & Fibers Website:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-05-22, 2:21pm
boro color bender

I've got two and I'm on a Cuda...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-05-22, 2:28pm
FireandFibers

Default well.....

Hi Brent! So it should work right? I am getting a fluctuation in the flame, it is a neutral flame (tested it) but I just don't know if it is a correct flame for that torch. I can faintly smell propane, I have turned it way down to about 2-3, but I still smell it, my husband can't, and yes it is from the torch not any of the connections. Are the candles small? I wish there was a idiot picture guide that comes with the torch! Cause I am not sure if I have it right. Suggestions on how to tell?

Fire & Fibers Website:

Old 2006-05-22, 2:36pm
boro color bender

I piggy backed two M-20's together and I run them at 7.5-8 LPM... I haven't fired up a Wildcat on a concentrator... but I did run one on tanks. It's a big torch for a single M-20... you're not going to get a full range out of it.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-05-22, 3:15pm
FireandFibers

Fiddle! I was afraid that I was given the wrong information on it being able to run on one concentrator. What torches do you think I can run effectively on just one M20?

Fire & Fibers Website:

Old 2006-05-22, 4:39pm
boro color bender

It would probably do a Lynx pretty well. A Piranha or a Betta for sure. A minor or mini of course. JC runs her Cuda on one... but it's not fully powered. What glass are you working?

Old 2006-05-22, 5:07pm
FireandFibers

Default both types....

I have had a minor for years and it has been fine for the soft glass, but very aggrevating for the boro. So I bought the wildcat for boro, but I grew tired of the getting the oxy tank filled, so I bought the M20. What I want is a torch that can do boro on the M20 with ease, none of this slow stuff!

Fire & Fibers Website:

Old 2006-05-22, 6:34pm
boro color bender

Betta... ask Jo (Dogmaw). She just got one and that torch rocks on low pressures as well as normal pressures.

Old 2006-05-31, 11:44am

You can run a Wildcat on pressures as low as 2 psi propane and 5 psi oxygen (and higher re both ranges) and it runs well at those numbers. (You get the full range of flame use.) There's a link to the Carlisle website with more information and the stats on this torch.
Even at 5 psi propane and 10 psi oxygen it should work on a concentrator/generator or M20.
One of my friends recently ran a Wildcat on 2 concentrators and she was very happy with it. We compared it to one at the studio hooked to a tank and she couldn't see any difference.
That's about all I know...Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2006-06-11 at 8:39pm.
Old 2006-05-31, 4:44pm
boro color bender

The pressure is high enough, I worry about volume (LPM). Contact Carlisle and ask what it needs in terms of volume.

Old 2006-05-31, 8:44pm

http://www.carlislemachine.com/CarlisleGlassworking/InstructionSheets/WildCatBurnerInstructionSheet.pdf

Here's the link to the info sheet on the Carlisle website.

I really like the torch but I have only used 3 torches in my life and would probably like anything.

Paula

Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2006-05-31 at 8:46pm.
Old 2006-06-09, 12:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
The pressure is high enough, I worry about volume (LPM). Contact Carlisle and ask what it needs in terms of volume.
Chris was explaining that to me a couple of weeks ago, that they are learning the volume (LPM) is very important. I am considering the Lucio torch and was talking to him about the requirements for it.

Old 2006-06-09, 10:17am

Is that torch finally out??
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-06-09, 10:33am

Yes. Needs to be purchased directly from them. Comes in two models. The one with the mini cc base $539. The one with the built in marver, can be raised 4 inches, has the dragon head, and some other features I can't remember, $875. 20 LPM of oxy I THINK Chris said. This torch is also built for standard houselhold presure of natural gas.

Old 2006-06-09, 12:26pm
FireandFibers

Something is up then, because I feel the torch is sluggish and suffocating with just the M20, it is not like it is on the tanked oxy. I have adjusted the propane and still smell it...as in it not all being burned....It's just not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD
You can run a Wildcat on pressures as low as 2 psi propane and 5 psi oxygen (and higher re both ranges) and it runs well at those numbers. (You get the full range of flame use.) There's a link to the Carlisle website with more information and the stats on this torch.
Even at 5 psi propane and 10 psi oxygen it should work on a concentrator/generator or M20.
One of my friends recently ran a Wildcat on 2 concentratos and she was very happy with it. We compared it to one at the studio hooked to a tank and she couldn't see any difference.
That's about all I know...Paula

Fire & Fibers Website:

Old 2006-06-09, 12:28pm
FireandFibers

Quote:

Well, that seems to be an issue....after repeated...yes I mean more than a dozen attempts to get an answer via phone, only to be told someone would call me back with an answer....I have yet to get a call back from Carlisle since December when I started asking what is the LPM the torch needs.

Fire & Fibers Website:

Old 2006-06-09, 12:32pm
FireandFibers

I get a hotter flame out of my Minor than I am getting out of the Wildcat with the M20. Now, the reverse is true with the tanked oxy, the Wildcat is hotter. If anyone else has a suggestion I am open to it. I bought the torch with the written knowledge that it would run on ONE M20 and be hotter than my minor. I am very disappointed that it is not. Suggestions?

Fire & Fibers Website:

Old 2006-06-09, 2:17pm

Elizabeth, have you hooked your minor up to the M20? Try that and see how your minor works on the M20. If it doesn't work very well, then there is definitely a problem with the M20, but my understanding is that although the Wildcat will work with almost any source of oxy, it will not work as well with smaller amounts of oxy as it will with larger amounts. So, Paula says it will work with 5 psi of oxy, but that doesn't mean the torch will work full out with that low pressure. Brent uses two M20s when using his Wildcat, so I would assume it takes that to get close to full use of the torch. I think you either need to change torches or get a larger source of oxy. Good luck, and keep us informed.
Pam

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2006-06-09, 6:32pm

Thanks for the Heads Up Ellen. I ordered the Dragon One through Carlisle in Septemeber and still don't have it...Chris keeps telling me it's not ready. I guess I need to call him again. Paula

p.s. Pam the Wildcat works really well on anywhere from 5 to 10 psi oxygen. I usually set it on the low side as the higher side melts out my eyeballs. hehe.

Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2006-06-09 at 7:43pm.
Old 2006-06-09, 7:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD
Thanks for the Heads Up Ellen. I ordered the Dragon One through Carlisle in Septmeber and still don't have it...Chris keeps telling me it's not ready. I guess I need to call him again. Paula

p.s. Pam the Wildcat works really well on anywhere from 5 to 10 psi oxygen. I usually set it on the low side as the higher side melts out my eyeballs. hehe.

I didn't order one, yet anyway. I have to think it all over. I just was checking on the requirements, and cost.

Paula, when you use 10 psi of tanked oxygen, it is very different than 2 concentrators????? Or an M20??? Right? there is no way I will ever go to tanked oxy thou.

Old 2006-06-09, 7:41pm

Hi Ellen,
I've only used it with liquid oxygen. Kim V has used it on 2 concentrators though and said it works well. She said she is getting the same flame as I am with LOX. You'd have to ask her which concentrator she is using ..I mananged to boil boro on it so that's how hot it can get! Paula

Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2006-06-09 at 7:47pm.
Old 2006-06-10, 9:56am
FireandFibers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam
Elizabeth, have you hooked your minor up to the M20? Try that and see how your minor works on the M20. If it doesn't work very well, then there is definitely a problem with the M20, but my understanding is that although the Wildcat will work with almost any source of oxy, it will not work as well with smaller amounts of oxy as it will with larger amounts. So, Paula says it will work with 5 psi of oxy, but that doesn't mean the torch will work full out with that low pressure. Brent uses two M20s when using his Wildcat, so I would assume it takes that to get close to full use of the torch. I think you either need to change torches or get a larger source of oxy. Good luck, and keep us informed.
Pam
I am running the minor on the M20 and I am making boro beads up to a width of 25mm with ease. I can't make anything close to that with the Wildcat on the M20....the torch struggles, the flame just isn't hot enough....but with the Wildcat on the tanked oxy it works great, nice hot flame, much hotter than my minor.

Does that make sense?

I have given up on running the Wildcat on one M20. The problem is I bought the M20 & the Wilcat with the understanding (from the company that I purchased it from) that they would run together with no problems.

Ack! I just hate using oxy tanks, my studio is in the basement and they have to be lugged up and down stairs.

Anyone want a Wildcat with less than 5 hours of torch time?

Fire & Fibers Website:

Old 2006-06-10, 11:15am
PyronamixK

It sounds like the torch requires a high volume of oxygen, even if it is delivered at a lower pressure.
Old 2006-06-10, 11:28am

I agree with Kimberly, it seems as though the M20 is delivering sufficient oxy for a Minor, but not for something larger, like the Wildcat. The only solution if you want to use the Wildcat is to get another M20 or go to tanked oxy. If you are happy with the Minor on the M20, then I would go with that.
Pam

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2006-06-10, 5:24pm
boro color bender

I don't have a Wildcat. I have a Cuda and Cheetah. If I actually had a Wildcat, I could be more help. I think the Wildcat would be comparable to the volume needs of a Cuda, but I've only ran one once on tanked oxy. In that case, one M-20 wouldn't power it fully. The minor on an M-20 should work really well.

Old 2006-06-10, 6:11pm
FireandFibers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
It sounds like the torch requires a high volume of oxygen, even if it is delivered at a lower pressure.

Exactly my thoughts too....and if Carlisle would/could ever give me an answer on LPM then I would know for sure.

Fire & Fibers Website:

Old 2006-06-10, 6:14pm
FireandFibers

Quote:
I don't have a Wildcat. I have a Cuda and Cheetah. If I actually had a Wildcat, I could be more help. I think the Wildcat would be comparable to the volume needs of a Cuda, but I've only ran one once on tanked oxy. In that case, one M-20 wouldn't power it fully. The minor on an M-20 should work really well.
Oh yes! The minor on the M20 is rockin! I have had my minor for years and it is running better now on the M20 than it ever has!

As far as the M20, it is a really nice concentrator, quiet, humming along and pumping out that oxy!

Fire & Fibers Website:

Old 2006-06-11, 5:52am
boro color bender

I think the people advertising the M-20 as able to run the Cuda or the Wildcat, should edit the decription and explain it's not going to run it full power. Truth in advertising is key for a happy customer. I don't know why they say what they do... if you look at the specs for the Cuda, it obviously needs two M-20's to run full tilt... but people shouldn't have to spec out a torch and match it up, if the description says something will work.

Call Carlisle and ask for Chris. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to get an answer from them on this... Chris has always been really helpful to me. Explain that you've called several times and you really need an answer.

Old 2006-06-11, 8:46am
FireandFibers

Thanks Brent! It helps having a name to ask for.

Fire & Fibers Website:

Old 2006-06-11, 8:43pm

I'm really curious as to what the required LPM is...Please let us know!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !