No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-18, 2:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
My tube bead skills are courtesy of TWO Trey Cornette classes. The man is a genius. If you ever get the chance to take a class with him, hock the family jewels and pay for the class. You will NOT regret it.

And it's not robbery-- this is freely given and if someone gets a benefit from it, I've done a good thing.

Sue
I, too, really like your distinctive and portable display case. Maybe I'll spend some cold winter nights working on one.

A quick follow-up on Trey Cornette classes--he is doing three classes sponsored by the ISBG Mid-Atlantic Region. More info at www.sgbma.org.

Ruth
Old 2010-11-18, 3:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthmartin View Post

A quick follow-up on Trey Cornette classes--he is doing three classes sponsored by the ISBG Mid-Atlantic Region. More info at www.sgbma.org.

Ruth
Trey Cornette- YUM! He's a fantastic instructor. You can see his influence in a some of the long beads on my shelf unit. There is one with cz's in the center of each murinni flower. Even in class I was trying to take what I was learning from him and putting my own twist on it.

I drew up a sketch at work for another unit. It will be interesting to see how that one goes. I will post it when it's done- just don't hold your breath waiting. I'm not johnny-on-the-spot on this stuff.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-11-23, 1:15am
I need more boro stuff

This thread needs a bump
Thanks for your bead stand idea, Sue.

I made mine. Not as big as yours. Probably I'm going to make another when I have more time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-11-23, 5:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubnavnania View Post
This thread needs a bump
Thanks for your bead stand idea, Sue.

I made mine. Not as big as yours. Probably I'm going to make another when I have more time.
Wonderful! You look like you used thicker wood than I did, which makes your unit even sturdier.

Really great.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-11-23, 5:36am
Resident hippie

My problem with my board-backed display is that I have a central position at the Food Co-op. It creates a block. I have black felt on cork on it and I can hang any number of necklaces but I'd prefer a more airy look.

I've just seen your display Yunita - it looks fabulous. The visibilty of the beads against the backing is a trade off for my desire for an 'airy look'.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Last edited by Beadanna; 2010-11-23 at 5:44am.
Old 2010-11-23, 5:52am
Katherine

Ok here is an idea for transporting: You could easily wrap the unit with cling wrap or ace bandages. And then keeping the unit upright slip it into a handmade carrying bag with handles that you will have made to fit the unit perfectly. (If I remember correctly Sue I think you are also a sewer.) This would also help keep all your beautiful beads protected, clean and dust free while transporting. And all you would need to do at a show is take the unit out of the hand-sewn bag and set it on your table.

p.s. I love the unit thanks for sharing.

Old 2010-11-23, 12:49pm
I need more boro stuff

Thanks Anna. I couldn't done it w/out Sue's idea.

I'm using the quilt padding sheet thingy and put in the middle of 2 frames so it can holds all the beads when transporting.

Old 2010-11-23, 1:05pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
Very clever Sue.

Perhaps a couple of clasps to hold it shut and also a couple of hook and eye type clasps to keep the display in a locked "open" position along the hinged side where no one can see them but it keeps the display rigid and toppling over due to clumsy fingers. Also, if you painted up two 1/4" pieces of plywood 24" x 18" to use as backing. That way, transportation would be a snap as long as you keep it in an upright position. You could also put a handle on the top for easy carrying but, that would show.

I'm all about function at an affordable price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
Quarter inch plywood or MDF weights almost nothing. It also would give you stability for your case and, privacy so no one can see what you have inside when it is closed. Plus, if you want to leave your beads in place, you just have to shut the unit, latch it and adios. If, in the unlikely event you hit a bump, then the beads will be contained inside.
i totally agree with Tammy, a 3mm backing board i mdf would weigh next to nothing and you could then use it for transport, also it means you can pack up a lot faster - just close it and go!

i think its a great idea

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-11-23, 2:55pm
offically down under

It looks great Yunita and it displays your beads very nicely.