No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-04-23, 2:56pm
Teenie Tiny Newbie

Default Curious Newbie Q about Annealing

I have only been lampworking since January, so please bear with me. I'm not trying to start any trouble, I swear!

Also, I tried searching for the answer, but evidently am not very good with the Search function.

Anyway, I batch-anneal all of my beads (COE 104). My husband made a heat-treating oven, and that's what I'm using for now. We are not looking for a kiln right now, but it's not completely out of the picture, either. My question is, are some beads "too small" to bother annealing? Or can even very tiny beads have stress?
I ask because some of my recent beads are about 5/16" diameter with about 1/16" holes. My assumption is that they would need annealing regardless of size, but I'd rather not waste time if it's not needed.

Any thoughts?
Old 2014-04-23, 3:05pm

Someone who understands the chemistry can explain it much better, but the heating and cooling of the glass causes stress, making it unstable. Annealing decreases the stress. Your own use, your choice, but any beads to give away or sell I would anneal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-04-23, 3:14pm
Slogan Challenged...

I've heard that said, that small beads don't need annealing, but I would not take the risk. I agree with Rachel, any beads you don't keep should be annealed. You can find some nice deals online Best of luck.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-04-23, 3:17pm
Teenie Tiny Newbie

That's a good point, it's really not worth the risk of having them break!! Thanks to both of you!