LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-03-10, 11:49pm

Default What would you like to learn to make?

I will try.......to do a tut on what you guys what to learn in my field (Spun or soild work) I would make you a video but I dont have a lens that will work so nobody would get much out of it, but we will see. However I will try to get you though with instructions if i can and you can ask questions after. So let me know what you want to make ....Ship? Deer? swan? Humming bird?..........let me know
Old 2014-03-11, 12:01am

How about starting with something "simple" to show basic techniques? Are you talking about a didymium lens for the camera? You can pop a lens out of a pair of glasses and tape it temporarily over the camera lens, if that's your concern. The didymium lenses made for the camera lens aren't nearly as good as the glasses for eliminating the yellow flame. I'd love to see how you make anything and really appreciate your willingness to share!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-03-11, 12:14am

Good idea on the glasses, when i get a new pair maybe ill put the old ones to good use. What kind of things do you want to learn? When I first started it was with a swan plant stick that you put in a poted plant
Old 2014-03-11, 3:09pm

I'd love to see how to do spun work. I'm thinking of a ballerina I had when I was young, but maybe a basket would be more basic.

thanks for offering!
Lee
Old 2014-03-11, 3:10pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I'd love to learn a swan and also how to do a little basket, like the spun glass 'buckets' that went with the little spun glass wishing wells I used to see. I have quilting friends that have asked for thimble holders but what I've done on mandrels as a very rough inside finish. I think a little spun glass bucket shape in clear boro would be perfect. I'm going to watch this thread for whatever you put up. Have you seen TimiaGlass (I think it is) on YouTube? He does some similar work.

Old 2014-03-11, 5:48pm
honorary bead lady

EVERYTHING!
Old 2014-03-11, 6:09pm
Glass & Parrots = Heaven

Any kind of spun work would be great! I also like the spun baskets.

Best Bud Cosmo - Eclectus Parrot
Old 2014-03-11, 6:27pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Yay, two votes for spun baskets.

Old 2014-03-11, 8:50pm

Yes I know TimiaGlass, crazy4glass on utube also. We all do the same kind of glass items.It looks like we are going to start with a spun glass basket
Ill type up some instructions with some pictures. Where is the best place on this site to put it?
Old 2014-03-11, 9:04pm

Ok I left a post for Paula p on here that kinda tells how to do a spun base. I would like it if you read the post and see if you understand it or if i might have to get more detailed. I know i will need pictures of what im talking about in the instructions. It will help a great deal if those who want to do it would try the stitch and then post a quick pic of what it looks like after you try it. yes even if its bad I will be able to tell what you are doing and how to guide you from there. In other words it will help the teacher to know where to place pictures in the instructions. This should be fun just be patient i only get days off every two weeks
Old 2014-03-11, 9:11pm
Remember to keep smiling

Nighthawk thank you for wanting to share with us. I have watched the videos on you tube and for the life of me I am unable to make out when you make your loop do you connect that loop to the side or underneath & when you start your your second round of loops do you place these loops in-between your original loops.

So sorry for rattling on had to jump at the chance to pick your brain. Please let us know when & where we can get your tut. I'll be looking forward to it.

SRA#P109
Old 2014-03-12, 2:00am

Looks like it will be inTutorials - Free Tutorials and be on making a basket
Old 2014-03-12, 9:32am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Yay, thank you so much! Going to try doing a base today.

Old 2014-03-12, 4:58pm
Remember to keep smiling

Red face

Nighthawk here goes my first attempts following your instruction you posted on the thread you mentioned above.. I believe I have two left hands I felt like a total klutz espicially while turning my maria in one direction and trying not to forget to turn my larger rod clockwise then back while attaching the loop. I'm hoping after alot of PPP it will become easier for me. Hope to try again this weekend.

Here goes two seperate attempts top and side views.
Name:  spunbase1a.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  31.8 KBName:  spunbase1.JPG
Views: 668
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  spunbase2.JPG
Views: 655
Size:  70.3 KBName:  spunbase2a.JPG
Views: 637
Size:  74.8 KB

SRA#P109
Old 2014-03-12, 8:47pm

Thats great for your first time
You need to pull it out just a tad bit longer and you dont turn the big rod back after your clockwise turn ....(espicially while turning my maria in one direction and trying not to forget to turn my larger rod clockwise then back while attaching the loop).....attach pull and while you pull it out turn it clockwise and then just keep going. If you get out of round at all heat the base up and roll it on your pad So you are going to spin the small rod so you can place the next loop(clockwise also) and the large rod pull out a bit more and then turn clockwise to make loop. then small....large...small...large ect. But I think you will have it in no time.
Old 2014-03-12, 8:54pm

I had to come back in here and let you know again that you did a great job, few more times you will be using them
Old 2014-03-12, 9:22pm
Remember to keep smiling

Thank you Nighthawk I sure was trying to put that extra counter clockwise step in Glad to know it's out the window. this may sound a bit strange to some but Prior to lighting my torch I practiced the steps with the rods I was going to use just to get the feel. LOL... Guess it's no crazier than talking to your self.

SRA#P109
Old 2014-03-12, 10:41pm

Lol i put that step in the tut im working on yep realy!
Old 2014-03-17, 10:54pm

I put up the tut in free boro tut room for the basket, I will add photos when i hit my next days off work. I will put one up for a swan also alb694.I might even try to video that, it would be better i think.
Old 2014-03-17, 11:31pm
Remember to keep smiling

Nighthawk thank you again for sharing with us. I checked out the tut great job. Hope to be able to try it out soon.

SRA#P109
Old 2014-03-19, 5:45am

The tut with pictures is up, I dont know how to take the other one down though
Old 2014-03-27, 3:21am

Swan tut is up in boro free tut
Old 2014-03-27, 3:52am

Cabinet pulls would be cool as that's my next project according to my wife.
Old 2014-03-29, 1:22am

Default Bronze sparkle beads

I saw some amazing beads for sale today by Val (?) that were called Bronze Sparkle. Maybe some type of mica in them? Would love to make a set for myself! Here's the pic...
Attached Images

Old 2014-03-29, 3:33am

Those are great mayb she can show you how she did it
Old 2014-04-11, 3:21am

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475
Old 2014-04-13, 8:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeboraCox_facetsdesigns View Post
I saw some amazing beads for sale today by Val (?) that were called Bronze Sparkle. Maybe some type of mica in them? Would love to make a set for myself! Here's the pic...
Those are stunning!