Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-05-24, 10:18pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Default Mike? Dale? Ferris Buhler? I need help.

Initially, I had a fan that was 350 cfm. It didn't work. I got light headed and felt weird. So we upgraded to a 600 cfm fan. I did the math, according to the calculations I got from LE, and actually, I should be functioning fine on a 460 cfm fan. So why do I feel weird after about 15 mins.? Shaky and disoriented. I have a 2' x 1.5' window open all the way with a double window fan cranking in fresh O2.
Any help from anyone would be so greatly appreciated. I'm so disheartened right now! My wonderful hubby has worked so hard on this. The only thing I'm thinking could help would be to move the hood down closer to the torch. Does anyone think that perhaps the fan itself needs to be closer?
Thank you for your advice. You guys have been really helpful and supportive as I set up my new studio.
Here's the setup

Here's another shot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-05-24, 10:44pm

First of all I have to say that your Husband is quite the off the shelf fabricator! Thats a Great setup! I think your fan/vent is working fine.
Maybe you should see if you feel that way after working in that position at someone else's studio??? It might be something else causing the problem.
Things aren't always how they seem..... Just a thought.
Old 2007-05-25, 2:56am

This probably seems stupid but the fan is drawing air in, not pushing air out? That just seems like a simple mistake I might make!

Kym
Old 2007-05-25, 5:46am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Hi Kym,
The fan blows out the window.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-05-25, 9:51am
Gentleman of Leisure

Fan design dictates that it blows out window so it is installed correctly......

The hood, ducting and fan all look within design parameters...

I have to wonder about your make up air source.... It looks as if you are in a basement... If there are any other gas fired appliances in area you may be reverse drafting the flues on them and pulling carbon monoxide fumes from them. If these are older units they probably rely on convection to send combustion byproducts up their respective flues. It is a very simple task for a blower to reverse the flow in flue in basement is "semi-sealed" meaning not enough make up air...

You have to consider by power venting a room you are creating a low pressure area in room. Since nature abhors a vacuum it will push air in any way it can to fill the low pressure area, if flue for appliance is easiest route, that is path it will take....

Also if in basement, is there a floor drain?.. is it sealed (trap full of water) it also may be a source of gasses that can cause you a problem.

With ventilation and torch running have you done smoke test though its not conclusive where the source of the problem is, it will show air flow patterns around hood area... Its simply using a wand made of twisted paper set alight to a point where it smolders and cause a smoke trail, hood should be pulling in all smoke from general area of hood...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-05-25 at 9:56am.
Old 2007-05-25, 9:00pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Hi Dale,
I have this fansucking the fresh air into the room. The window is about twice the height of the fan. The window is 10 (or 11, can't remember) feet away from the torch. Man, that fan sucks up everything. It sucks the air so fast past a lit match that the match goes out. The only appliance on gas is the heating/ac unit thingy, which is about 6 years old. Do you think I should have an additional fan blowing the fresh air towards my face? I DO have a sump pump right beside me, about 1 foot away. It has a cover on it, but there are holes for any water to drain down. Should I cover that up?

Old 2007-05-26, 6:35am
Gentleman of Leisure

You should NOT need power (fan) for you fresh make up air.... Make up air seems to be close enough.... Sump should not be source of "sewer gas" and I would check heating/AC unit to see what kind of venting is has... Some newer units are a sealed combustion system (they bring in their own fresh air and exhaust "gases" without using room air)... If it is not a sealed unit you need to verify that you are not back flowing flue for unit...

Are you remembering to breath as you work?....

Dale

Old 2007-05-28, 9:57am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Hi Dale,
Yep. I'm breathing. I think I'm just going to try to stick it out and see if I get used to it. Thanks for the help, have a good Memorial Day! Alexis

Old 2007-05-28, 10:41am
In search of her path....

ALexis if your feeling bad theres a reason...dont keep harming yourself ....find out what the problem is.

Like dale said your ventilation looks good your sourceof makeup air is good so it could be something fairly simple to fix.

When your getting light headed and not feeling well what kinds of glass are you working with? Are you using leaf, enamels, fuming? are you doing boro? Just trying to help give some ideas as to what might be aggrivating you. Are you drinking plenty of water? taking some visual breaks for yourself to give your eyes a rest while torching?

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-05-28, 11:03am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoonglow View Post
Hi Dale,
Yep. I'm breathing. I think I'm just going to try to stick it out and see if I get used to it. Thanks for the help, have a good Memorial Day! Alexis
Dont try to tough it out... Find what the problem is...

Dale

Old 2007-06-08, 10:06pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Hey, it's me again. I've been trying to tough it out.... and I can't keep it up. I get foggy, I am starting to get headaches when I work. Honestly, we can't figure it out. The sump pump is covered completely. I'm using coe 104 and
90. The furnace is only 5 years old. It's the only thing down there that runs on gas. So I have this 600 (or 650, can't remember) cfm fan, a double blower window fan and a regular round fan. The big one sucks out the fumes and the 3 other ones blow in good air. And I'm still messed up. What, do you think, are the chances the air being brought back in is contaminated? The windows are a little over 10 ft. apart but still? I'm getiing a carbon monoxide monitor, I think that would at least tell me what's going on with air quality.
No fuming or foil leaf. I'm still getting shaping down. Any other suggestions anyone??? Should I call in the pros?
Alexis

Old 2007-06-09, 1:05am
What, Me Worry?

Alexis,

Just sit in the studio with all the fans on and everything set up and running as if you were torching... but do not open the torch fuel valve or light the torch. Just sit at your workstation and read a book for 1 hour... or for however long it is to when you feel foggy if you were torching. If you still become ill, then it is not torch combustion - it is 'something else' going on down in the basement. Could be the furnace, could be bad air coming in, could be radon gas, could be.... who knows what.

Also, we need a picture of your heating/ac unit; and some info...

1. How deep is your worktable, front to wall?
2. What is the height of the hood from the table top to lower edge of hood?
3. Where is your fuel tank?
4. Where is your oxygen tank or oxycon?
5. If you use tank oxygen, what pressure setting do you use?
5. Has the furnace been running while you torched?

Also need a picture of you while you are making a bead to see where you physically position yourself nneds to show head, shoulders and hands, relative to torch. Side view is good.

Me

Last edited by bhhco; 2007-06-09 at 3:42am.
Old 2007-06-09, 4:58am
Genus: gwacefulia klumsia

This may sound silly (and I'm not any ventilation expert like these guys here) but sometimes I tend to sit too far forward over the top of my torch and my head is literally in the path of the bad stuff that is being sucked up. There is this area right over the torch but not in the flame where it tends to collect on its way up to my hood. I notice I do this when I am working on something detailed. Could you be sitting too far over the torch?

eta: This is why I have a guy coming to redirect my make up air. It needs (for me) to come from underneath and blow up to the hood rather than just past my head since I have this tendency. Meanwhile I just remind myself to sit back and I am careful.
etsy shop:

doggies:

Last edited by gwacie; 2007-06-09 at 5:00am.
Old 2007-06-09, 7:46am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Last night we realized that outside the house, about 1 ft. outside the make up air window are the 2 pvc pipes from the furnace in the basement. About 1 ft. above the window is the dryer return. Anyone think I could be sucking crappy air back into the basement instead of good, clean air? That's what I think. Opinions???

Old 2007-06-09, 7:48am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Hey bhhco, I'll get all that stuff for you on Monday. That is a really good idea on running the torch and just sitting there reading to see what is going on! I'll get those pics in a few days (camera's at work).

Old 2007-06-09, 7:49am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Uh, I mean NOT running the torch. Not foggy because I've been torching, just groggy cause it's morning.

Old 2007-06-09, 7:53am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Last night we realized that outside the house, about 1 ft. outside the make up air window are the 2 pvc pipes from the furnace in the basement. About 1 ft. above the window is the dryer return. Anyone think I could be sucking crappy air back into the basement instead of good, clean air? That's what I think. Opinions???

The vent for the furnace could probably be contaminating your make up air...

I would suggest a change to get ventilation intake further away from furnace vent...

This is one of the issues that make basements poor locations to try and make into a studio...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-06-09 at 7:56am.
Old 2007-06-09, 9:59am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Anyone know if I can just attach a 10 ft. extension to the pvc pipes that vent the furnace and take them around the side of the house? I only have 1 window in the basement for makeup air. The other window has my hood hooked up to it. If I could just re-route the furnace vents, that would solve the problem. I would also have to cap off the dryer vent before torching, but that's no biggie, I can do that.

Old 2007-06-09, 2:15pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Anyone know if I can just attach a 10 ft. extension to the pvc pipes that vent the furnace and take them around the side of the house? I only have 1 window in the basement for makeup air. The other window has my hood hooked up to it. If I could just re-route the furnace vents, that would solve the problem. I would also have to cap off the dryer vent before torching, but that's no biggie, I can do that.
IF dryer is electric or not running (if gas) during torch time it is not the problem....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-06-09 at 5:20pm.
Old 2007-06-09, 5:33pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Ok, so I baggie/rubber banded off the 2 pvc vent. pipes from the hvac unit that are outside my fresh air window. I turned off the a/c and made sure the dryer was off. I went down, arranged a second fan to blow fresh air right into my face and torched for an hour and a half and I have never felt worse! So tomrorow, when I feel right again, I'm doing the "sit at the table and read a book" test. If I feel the same, then it's gotta be radon. If I feel fine, then I'm finding the biggest fan I can get. I read on antoerh post that if it doesn't suck you out to Oz, then it isn't too big. I'm now looking for the Oz Sucker!
This is such a mystery.

Old 2007-06-09, 10:53pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

My husband and I realized that my torch actually sits outside of the hood. So in addition to lowering the hood 3 inches, we're going to move the torch up and into the middle of the hood. Whatcha think?

Old 2007-06-10, 1:47am
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
....Whatcha think?
I think you are shooting in the dark. And so far that has not been a successful approach.

I think you should reread post #12 and do what it says and answer the questions... or this will take forever to figure out.

Me
Old 2007-06-12, 3:22pm
reaction junkie

I see you are using a washtub like mine... and mine isn't working right either. Have you tried the incense test yet? To see if the smoke goes up or not? Sorry if you've already said you've done it and I missed it. I'm just trying to figure out why mine isn't working and wondering if it's the washtub design or size of vent tubes or something.

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-12, 4:17pm
Gentleman of Leisure

The fact its a wash tub has nothing to do with issue, tub is only "capture area". Its just a hood by a different name.

In the case of a basement and this thread its volume and quality of makeup air... IF FAN is actually trying to move calculated CFM of "exhaust" air.... And there is NOT enough makeup volume, of course its going to fail.

Dale

Old 2007-06-12, 4:23pm
reaction junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
The fact its a wash tub has nothing to do with issue, tub is only "capture area". Its just a hood by a different name.

Dale
OK, that's good news at least. Now to figure out why mine, with plenty of fresh air make up air... is not working But I'll keep that in the other thread, as long as it's not the tub/hood causing the problem.

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-12, 9:55pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Hey, I have some answers:

1. How deep is your worktable, front to wall? 36"
2. What is the height of the hood from the table top to lower edge of hood? 2'
3. Where is your fuel tank? NAT.GAS
4. Where is your oxygen tank or oxycon? OXYCON
5. If you use tank oxygen, what pressure setting do you use? N/A
5. Has the furnace been running while you torched? NO

Here's my setup:

This weekend we lowered the hood by 3", we raised the torch by 2" and we moved the torch to the center of the hood. I have an open window, with a double window fan in it pumping fresh oxy. into the room.

I'm going to call some professional ventilation guys tomorrow and see what they have to say. I'm looking for companies who advertise "industrial" and "commercial".

I also tried running the torch for an hour while I sat at the table and cleaned and rearranged my glass. It was great. No problems whatsoever.

I bought a CO2 monitor this weekend. It is sitting right beside me.

When I was torching last night, my 6 year old son was sitting behind me. After 15 minutes he goes, "Mommy, I want to go upstairs. I have a headache."

Anymore advice or suggestions, please keep em coming. Thanks, everyone.

Old 2007-06-13, 7:51am
Gentleman of Leisure

How much space between back of hood and wall... IF you have a gap between hood and wall its possible that the combustion plume is under shooting hood and rising between wall and hood and circling back over hood and invading your breathing space.... The velocity of torch plume may be more than the hood and blower (suction) and coming back over top to "get you"...

New information coming to light is that the placement of torch is critical as to whether hood captures plume or not.... Also the conventional design of a hood being wider than it is deep may not be correct. A square hood that extends from wall or back drop to almost over front of torch may be better.... And width does not have to be as wide as we previously thought. Seems we got caught in a design warp that came from kitchen range hoods or restaurant hoods, and did not visit industrial "canopy hoods" enough...

Dale

Old 2007-06-25, 9:36pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Do you suffer from panic attacks? I do and I can feel this way when torching though I often find that I get worse in peoples studios who have oxycons.....Is it that they are taking away from the fresh air and also putting out nitrogen out the back???

The symptoms you are having are like the symptoms from carbon monoxide posioning???
Old 2007-06-25, 9:38pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

does your vision go a bit like you have trouble focusing and you can feel something notright...you can't see it and you can't smell it but it's there.... I had this problem when I set up my torch inside with an oxycon and just a window for ventilation.
I am outside not on bottled oxy with no problems though I will soon be moving into a 3 metre by 5.5 metre studio and am starting to worry about ventilation!