Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-07-17, 11:54pm

Default Living room studio

HELP! DH and I are moving into a new home so I have to rethink my studio space. It can't be outside as we have a very small yard. My studio is going to be upstairs in the living room space (approx 10'x8'+ -3 walls, vaulted ceiling). I have a 4'x4' steel top table that I want to place in the centre of the room with 2 minor torches. I will have a hose run to propane outside and an OGSI 15 oxy gen inside. What I'm trying to figure out is how to run my ventilation and what to use. There is a large window and patio door on one wall. Any suggestions/advice?
Old 2007-07-18, 8:01am
What, Me Worry?

What ventilation hardware, e.g. hood, ducting, fans, etc., do you have now that could be used in the new location?

Me
Old 2007-07-18, 9:55am
Gentleman of Leisure

Also are you willing to cut holes in walls for vent exhaust and hang hood from ceiling or walls. Is this going to be "living space" along as being studio space?

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-07-18, 10:40am

I don't have anything that can be used from my old studio. To be honest, I was being naughty and just using windows and fans. It was in my kitchen. I need to do it right this time.
This space is strictly studio space but as it is open to the kitchen & dining I don't want it to be too ugly. I can cut a hole in the wall but the ceiling is vaulted so hanging something from &/or venting through the ceiling would be difficult. That's part of the reason I'm so stressed.

Thanks. L

bhhco - I like your quote. I am a teacher and it is now one of my favorites.
Old 2007-07-18, 12:08pm
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivala View Post
I don't have anything that can be used from my old studio. To be honest, I was being naughty and just using windows and fans. It was in my kitchen. I need to do it right this time.
This space is strictly studio space but as it is open to the kitchen & dining I don't want it to be too ugly. I can cut a hole in the wall but the ceiling is vaulted so hanging something from &/or venting through the ceiling would be difficult. That's part of the reason I'm so stressed.

Thanks. L

bhhco - I like your quote. I am a teacher and it is now one of my favorites.
I was too. I've had very long and interesting life. Many different jobs.

Anyway... what you are looking for is a hood which is self-supporting. That's not hard to do. It also need not be expensive... would you be surprised with $75 per torch?

But the exhaust must be vented to the outside, and adequate makeup air will be required to replace what iod exhausted. Even at the rates a small system requires... it will not be possible to use the home HVAC for climate control... at least not in that room. It will substantially warmer in summer, and colder in winter, than 'normal' inside room temperature.

Now... the actual system design will soon be posted on a website. Dale will have the link. It's not ready right now for release... but it will be there in time for your need.

Me

Last edited by bhhco; 2007-07-18 at 12:14pm.
Old 2007-07-18, 8:46pm

Hello Trivala,
Before you buy anything to quickly be sure to check all of your options.
Power is knowledge, but you already know that being a teacher.
Take Care, MarieAnn

Last edited by beadgirl; 2007-07-19 at 5:06am.
Old 2007-07-19, 5:04am

Anyway... what you are looking for is a hood which is self-supporting. That's not hard to do. It also need not be expensive... would you be surprised with $75 per torch?

But the exhaust must be vented to the outside, and adequate makeup air will be required to replace what iod exhausted. Even at the rates a small system requires... it will not be possible to use the home HVAC for climate control... at least not in that room. It will substantially warmer in summer, and colder in winter, than 'normal' inside room temperature.

Now... the actual system design will soon be posted on a website. Dale will have the link. It's not ready right now for release... but it will be there in time for your need.

Me[/quote]

Dear Me or Dale,
Is their a link to this site yet that can be posted here on LE ?
What type system is it ?
Marieann