No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-17, 10:46am
Minor Newbie...

Default Encasing Double Helix

I am a beginner with Double Helix colors. I have been working with Elecktra (a reducing color) and have finally been able to reduce it and change colors. I would like to encase it after it has been reduced but every time I try to encase a bead, the Elecktra loses its reduction colors and goes back to the original blue. Can any one give me some suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-17, 10:51am

I haven't used Elecktra but sometimes I would cover my Kronos right as it started to change. It would still change color even after I put some clear over it (not too thick) and keep working on my bead. Maybe that will work.

Old 2008-07-17, 11:01am
A True Woofer

You have to keep the already-reduced bead out of the neutral flame while you're encasing it, otherwise it undoes the reduction.

Old 2008-07-17, 11:05am
Minor Newbie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT View Post
You have to keep the already-reduced bead out of the neutral flame while you're encasing it, otherwise it undoes the reduction.
Sorry for being a bit stupid... so once it's reduced, I can encase it but keep it under the flame while I am wrapping the clear around it? Then once it's covered in clear glass, can I put it back into the flame to melt the clear?

Old 2008-07-17, 11:07am
Gimme that silver glass!

Yes Jenny, that's right. But some colors will still loose some of their reduction color. I have those problems with Gaia and Elektra as well.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-07-17, 11:10am
Glass-aholic

just heat it more slowly with less heat and see if you keep the reduction. try and keep the bead out of the flame or as high as possible when you encase. if you loose the reduction just do that spot again. and encase. it is a bit tricky, and may seemingly take forever to melt in your encasing compared to any other bead.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-07-17, 11:11am
Minor Newbie...

Thanks everyone... It nice to know that I'm not just crazy (well, I am but at least I'm not alone...)

Old 2008-07-17, 11:59am
Entropy increasing....

Electra seems to be one of the ones that tends to lose it's reduction when you encase it. Many others do not do that. I've had that trouble myself.
Old 2008-07-17, 12:36pm
da General

Karolen posted in my Third Silver Exchange a bead where she could reduce Elektra AFTER encasing. Here is a link:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...&postcount=680

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-18, 1:35pm
Minor Newbie...

Thank you so much everyone with your help. I thought it was purely the fact that I'm a newbie... Now its only partly because I'm a newbie... lol.

Old 2008-07-18, 1:38pm
da General

Jenny -

You are welcome. If you have any questions on any silver glass, pop in the Third Silver Exchange thread and ask! There are lots of people there who have had good luck and bad luck with almost all the silver glass available!

Have fun!

|
|
|
|