No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-30, 1:56am

Exclamation Beads Cracking

Hello everyone !!

Just a little question abouts my beads cracking, i've made a set yesterday with Lauscha clear and a new TAG silver glass i have, i know some people have said that Lauscha had compatibility problems, but it has always been fine for me and doesn't make them yellow like Aether does. Maybe it doesn't like this new silver glass.

Anyway, about 5 out of 20 are cracked. Now how long do i have to wait until i know the remaining beads are safe and won't crack in the future?

If they don't crack in a week, does it mean they are safe?

Thank you for any advice

Regis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Magma Beads .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-07-30, 4:16am

Try putting them in the Freezer that may tell you.
Old 2010-07-30, 5:24am

I had some issues with clear cracking over silver glass recently. One of the last beads of that particular session cracked three week later.

Old 2010-07-30, 7:30am
Against the Grain

I'm having the same problem. I had bought a pound of Lauscha soft clear to try. I made a lot of beads with it and didn't have any problems at all. So I ordered 3 more pounds. Now a lot of my beads are cracking. Perhaps it is a different batch. All of the beads that cracked had silver or silvered glass (Double Helix) encased. They don't always crack right away. I'm watching a couple of sets, and each day there seems to be another one cracked. I will probably never feel safe in selling any of them.

If you've been using it with other silvered glasses and it's been okay, maybe this new TAG color has more silver in it or something. Mine seems to be okay with a small amount of Aurae or Clio, but definitely not with a lot of Triton. I'd still be nervous if it's been only a week. Sorry this happened.

Last edited by Silver Moon Lampwork; 2010-07-30 at 7:41am.
Old 2010-07-30, 9:39am
Bead Obsessed

Lauscha does not play well with silvered glass. Years ago when Double Helix just started I had a set on eBay that was bid up past $600. Looking at the beads I saw that they had started to crack. Had to pull the auction, broke my heart. I learned my lesson... don't use Lauscha with silver glass it just isn't worth the risk.

Old 2010-07-30, 11:34am
Against the Grain

I agree that it isn't worth the risk. I had a customer tell me that she received a set of beads all cracked (not mine thankfully). She never did tell the person who made them, but obviously will never buy from her again. You'd like to think that the customer would tell you and let you refund their money or remake the set, but sometimes they don't and you just lose a good customer.

Old 2010-07-30, 5:01pm

Thanks a lot everyone for your help, one more bead is cracked this morning... Oh well, i'll just have to try and find another clear.

Magma Beads .

Old 2010-07-31, 6:53am
Life is change. Love it

They will likely all crack. I had a set do that over a period of a couple of months.