LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-03-13, 12:40pm

Default Pregnant! YAY! Does anyone know what metals are in Effetre colors?

I'm specifically interested in lead. I'm staying away from furnace glass and frit. Enamels, too. The only glass I know of that has lead is 96. If there's anything you think I should know, please tell me. I do have very good ventilation and a respirator, but I can't breathe with the damn respirator on for more than a few minutes.

I know about the silver and copper and sulfur used to make certain colors of glass... the manganese... but I am NO expert and would love some help. I haven't been lampworking much AT ALL but just don't know if I can stay away for the next 6 1/2 months ++. (plus, once the baby is born, I cartainly won't have the time).

And please, no holier-than-though posts about how you would NEVER do this during pregnancy, baby is too important, da da da da da... I appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 2007-03-13, 12:46pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Congratulations!

Amy Oullette (Zooziis) I think did a study on this. She had people come in and sample air and swab her table and they found nothing too alarming.

Just be cautious and aware and I think you will be fine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-13, 12:56pm

Thanks so much for the congrats!!!!!!! I haven't been telling anyone but I went to a baby shower sunday and I was 1 of 9 pregnant women there (WOW!), so I began to let the cat out of the bag! How could I not? "baby... pregnancy... baby... names... baby... due date...." Went on for hours. Pregnant women can't help but talk about anything else! lol!

I know about Amy's study and that's the ONLY reason I'm even considering this. So far, in the past 2 months I've been at the torch for about 10 hours. It's driving me crazy, I tell ya! I don't work, pretty much a home-body, and I'm so BORED! If it weren't for Amy's study I don't think I would have done it at all.

I am worried about the lead though. And I miss my frit!
Does anyone know if I can use frit? Raku? all the rest of my reichenbach?
Old 2007-03-13, 1:16pm

Tara, congratulations! I believe there's a thread on this subject from the last month or so; do a search on "pregnancy" in this forum. I'm sure the most important thing will be proper ventilation.

Best wishes,

-Diane
Old 2007-03-13, 1:29pm
Safety ALWAYS

Tara -- soft glass doesn't represent any major problems, unless you are working Satake, which does have a lead component.

A couple of things I'd pay attention to:

1) Ventilation -- be sure it is VERY GOOD, and use a respirator, just in case.
2) Posture at the table -- as your body changes, you are going to spend less time because of comfort issues -- go with the flow, so to speak.
3) Eyewear -- because of hormonal changes, your eyes may become more sensitive to the sodium flare -- you might find it helpful to wear a pair of welders clips if you find the flare painful or annoying.
4) Drink plenty of liquids -- mostly water, try to stay away from soft drinks, or even diet drinks. Stay hydrated, again because of hormonal changes, you want to have as much water in your system as you can stand.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-03-13, 2:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarus View Post
Tara, congratulations! I believe there's a thread on this subject from the last month or so; do a search on "pregnancy" in this forum. I'm sure the most important thing will be proper ventilation.

Best wishes,

-Diane
I know about the threads. The don't have any info about the metals though. Thanks anyway.
Old 2007-03-13, 2:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
Tara -- soft glass doesn't represent any major problems, unless you are working Satake, which does have a lead component.

A couple of things I'd pay attention to:

1) Ventilation -- be sure it is VERY GOOD, and use a respirator, just in case.
2) Posture at the table -- as your body changes, you are going to spend less time because of comfort issues -- go with the flow, so to speak.
3) Eyewear -- because of hormonal changes, your eyes may become more sensitive to the sodium flare -- you might find it helpful to wear a pair of welders clips if you find the flare painful or annoying.
4) Drink plenty of liquids -- mostly water, try to stay away from soft drinks, or even diet drinks. Stay hydrated, again because of hormonal changes, you want to have as much water in your system as you can stand.

Mike, you're the BOMB! I was waiting for you to answer. I'm pretty aware of the things you listed, except the glasses, but I haven't noticed a difference yet. I have a nice big table that DH built (wood with sheet metal on top, sprayed with heat-proof spray paint, creation station...), it's nice and high, with a VERY nice adjustable chair. It's perfect. Has a foot rest & adjusts in different ways. It's also great on my legs. Other chairs actually amke them hurt or put them to sleep. I have a sweet set-up actually. He also made my hood and I have a blower from Grainger that's over 900 or 1000 (can't remember exactly) with 10" straight duct work that only has bend out the window. So, I got it!

My issue is the respirator. I can NOT wear that thing for very long. My face gets way too hot and I just can't breathe. I wear it as long as I have to, but I can't wear it the whole time. If my ventilation is good, do I have to wear it?

I ALWAYS have a drink with me no matter where I go - always have, even before the pregnancy. I'm a thirsty girl!
I didn't think any of the Moretti had any lead in it, but it never hurts to ask. I really appreciate you listing the other info, too. It helps when people remind you that things have changed - it's someimtes easy to forget that you have to do things differently.

Hey! How about the furnace glass? Frit?? If I do wear the mask can I use it? Should I completely avoid it all together? I'm asking b/c I'm thinking about Amy's testing and they didn't find anything in the air or on the the table. (did she use frit for the test?)

One more thing - welder's clips - I have a pair of your glasses - AUR 92's with small econ frames (which are way too big, btw, & I'm not tiny or anything, and I hate the frame. I've been meaning to ask you about changing it.) Where can I get the clips? Should I just get them from you if I need them or can I get them at my welder's? I have an excellent welding supply here.

Thanks again, Mike. I really appreciate that you're here and don't what we'd do without you.

Last edited by Peach Blossom Beads; 2007-03-13 at 2:28pm.
Old 2007-03-14, 6:24am
Safety ALWAYS

Ok --

Is in the respirator I sell or one of those "other" styles that has the removable cannisters on them? Those "other" types can be a little more restrictive with breathing.

The masks ARE irritating, especially if you aren't used to wearing them. You should wear it when you are cutting glass, and working with frit or powders. Anything else is optional. You might want to put a small fan (under 50 CFM) somewhere where it blows on your face (across your face is best) when you don't use the mask.

I have the clips on my website -- we've been having some serious backorder problems with our supplier - not sure what's going on, but we've got a ton on backorder and only get dribs and drabs from them. If you order them be warned it may take a month or so to get them! Try your local welding shop first by all means!

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-03-14, 6:36am
In search of her path....

First of all Congratulations! the only other glass I can see staying away from (other than the ones already mentioned) might be boro...there are really really high contents of many metals in it even though it may not be highly transferable through your skin the fumes can be pretty noxious at times but if you had really really good ventilation youd probally be fine....I dont think the fumes would harm you other than just make you not feel very well...I think you may be a bit more sensitive to them now than before *hugs*

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-03-14, 4:27pm

Quote:
Ok --

Is in the respirator I sell or one of those "other" styles that has the removable cannisters on them? Those "other" types can be a little more restrictive with breathing.

The masks ARE irritating, especially if you aren't used to wearing them. You should wear it when you are cutting glass, and working with frit or powders. Anything else is optional. You might want to put a small fan (under 50 CFM) somewhere where it blows on your face (across your face is best) when you don't use the mask.

I have the clips on my website -- we've been having some serious backorder problems with our supplier - not sure what's going on, but we've got a ton on backorder and only get dribs and drabs from them. If you order them be warned it may take a month or so to get them! Try your local welding shop first by all means!
Oh hell no! I have a regular one, like you sell. Not the big goofy one with the canisters! lol! I still hate it. I wouldn't mind wearing it if I could breathe and do I when I have to, but I'll actually avoid using stuff so I don't have to put it on!

The fan sounds like a great idea and I have one right near my bench. Sweet!

I didn't know the welding supply sold the clips so thanks. I don't know if I'll need them but it's great to know I can get them if I do.

Did you see my other question, btw? The one that was off-topic about my glasses? I'd love to change the frames. Believe it or not, DH had to put tape around the center for my nose and I ALWAYS have to use the string with the adjustable plastic piece to hold them on. But because of how tight I have to make them so they don't silde, they really hurt/bother my face. They don't fit from my ears to my nose. (again, I have AUR 92 small econ frames)

I always wear cheap, plastic, light-weight sunglasses. Maybe I should have you put the lenses in something like that? You do that right? What's the general price range?

Thanks so much Mike. I love when you anser my questions!
b/c your answers are always right. (now someone's going to bitch I'm making your umm... head big.)

Last edited by Peach Blossom Beads; 2007-03-14 at 4:30pm.
Old 2007-03-14, 4:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF-Designs View Post
First of all Congratulations! the only other glass I can see staying away from (other than the ones already mentioned) might be boro...there are really really high contents of many metals in it even though it may not be highly transferable through your skin the fumes can be pretty noxious at times but if you had really really good ventilation youd probally be fine....I dont think the fumes would harm you other than just make you not feel very well...I think you may be a bit more sensitive to them now than before *hugs*
Thanks for the congrats! I don't use boro but have been looking to buy it for a few months now. So glad I didn't! I wouldn't have been able to control myself!
Old 2007-03-16, 2:47pm
Floral Obsessed

Congrats again, Tara! I have to say that I love my big goofy mask with removeable canisters. We got a really good black silicone one (North brand, I think) and I find it super comfy! It's fun to sing and hum in, too. Once it starts to get at all hard to breath, I switch the canisters. But then, I'm a fairly slow, deep breather - slow in general, I think! Faster breathers might have a harder time in half-masks.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-03-16, 2:52pm
In search of her path....

You have a pretty decent ventilation so you would probally be ok with boro...I just know before I upgraded my hood I had a really hard time with working my boro for more than an hour or so because of the fumes....they are much stronger than soft glass and it gives off alot of radiant heat but it is a blast once you start you will be so addicted to it

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-03-16, 4:21pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Congrats, Tara!

Watch out for swollen ankles. Sitting will make the fluids pool up in your feet, too, so if you notice or feel swelling, STOP...and then go back to it later. Nothing worse than swollen feet and ankles... I always hated that part.

Old 2007-03-17, 9:23am

Thanks Amber!

Oh, I don't plan on getting swollen ankles (HA!). Really, I don't sit for that long, a couple of hours at most. I take breaks. I appreciate the advice. I'm glad I have the chiar that I do... has a foot rest which is awesome. I wish everyone could have a chair like this.

This is too cool. I hope the congrats keep coming. I so should have posted in the family roon.

I REALLY wish I could afford some boro. There's just no way. I've been dying to try it for a while. I love the opal-looking colors. Maybe next year.
Old 2007-03-19, 6:57am
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramag View Post
Oh hell no! I have a regular one, like you sell. Not the big goofy one with the canisters! lol! I still hate it. I wouldn't mind wearing it if I could breathe and do I when I have to, but I'll actually avoid using stuff so I don't have to put it on!

The fan sounds like a great idea and I have one right near my bench. Sweet!

I didn't know the welding supply sold the clips so thanks. I don't know if I'll need them but it's great to know I can get them if I do.

Did you see my other question, btw? The one that was off-topic about my glasses? I'd love to change the frames. Believe it or not, DH had to put tape around the center for my nose and I ALWAYS have to use the string with the adjustable plastic piece to hold them on. But because of how tight I have to make them so they don't silde, they really hurt/bother my face. They don't fit from my ears to my nose. (again, I have AUR 92 small econ frames)

I always wear cheap, plastic, light-weight sunglasses. Maybe I should have you put the lenses in something like that? You do that right? What's the general price range?

Thanks so much Mike. I love when you anser my questions!
b/c your answers are always right. (now someone's going to bitch I'm making your umm... head big.)
LOL -- missed this the first time -- We *CAN* put lenses into most frames, but honestly, I'd not recommend sunglass frames -- they are usually designed for very thin acrylic or acetate snap in sunglass lenses, not the thicker CR-39/polycarbonate or glass lenses. Its $40 plus shipping to put lenses into a supplied frame: http://www.auralens.net/e_replacement.cfm

Don't worry about me getting a big head, it can't get much bigger than it is already

Old 2007-03-19, 7:06am

Oh, no. I wouldn't use sunglass frames. Just wanted to give you an idea of the glasses I'm comfortable in. Where can I find frames to put the lenses in??

I think I need to go stalk your site for a while and check out the styles. I know I can't afford them but you have some that I love and think would be perfect.

Can you use the lenses I already have? Or does it take a long time and I'll go nuts b/c I won't be able to make beads?

I hope that big head isn't too much of an issue. Do your pants fit ok? (did I just say that? Where are we?)

Last edited by Peach Blossom Beads; 2007-03-19 at 7:10am.
Old 2007-03-19, 7:12am
Safety ALWAYS

<snort> I won't dignify that last statement with a comment <grin>

Usually we cannot use existing lenses -- too many variable to consider, but usually the lens has been case hardened and trying to re-edge a case hardened lens results in the lens self-destructing.

Old 2007-03-19, 8:07am

Quote:
<snort> I won't dignify that last statement with a comment <grin>

Usually we cannot use existing lenses -- too many variable to consider, but usually the lens has been case hardened and trying to re-edge a case hardened lens results in the lens self-destructing.

O I C. Well, not having any cash right now sucks. We have A LOT of work to do on the house and a lot of money to spend this year. (painting, removing wallpaper and putting in hardwood floors). So, let's see if I can come with the $40.00+ because I'm ready to fling these glasses across the room at the cement wall and smile when I see them in smithereens.

Thanks again Mike. Hey! So, um, where do I get frames? Don't tell me at an eyewear place. Way too expensive.

Actually, what about a shield? I've always wanted on of those and I was reading that other thread where people were saying they get in the way. How much are those? Is there something that clip on them for boro? Also, say I got the glasses we're talking about. Does the clip-on thingy (that you said I could get for the glasses I have now) work for those too?

And answer all my questions this time so I don't have ask twice, huh? OK? Thanks! (kidding! lol!) Everytime you answer one thing I come with 4 more questions.

Last edited by Peach Blossom Beads; 2007-03-19 at 8:23am.
Old 2007-03-19, 8:59am
Safety ALWAYS

There are plenty of low-cost opticians around, check places like America's Best (if you have one) or check to see if your local optician has an "inexpensive" line, they usually do, but hidden waaaay in the back of the store behind the sign that says "Beware of the Mountain Lion".

There is also our "Value Line" to consider, for soft glass, significantly lower than the Standard Line. http://www.auralens.net/e_gw_frame_value.cfm

The shield will set you back about $160, and the boro shield (all in one) is about $200, you can convert the soft glass shield to a boro shield for $50.

Yes, the clip on thingy will work just fine with any of our non-safety (Z87) frames.

I think that's all the questions......anything I've missed? <laughing>

Old 2007-03-19, 9:03pm

I am grateful for your awe-inspiring and profound wisdom. You have given me the willingness and eagerness to learn. I have now been inspired to become a student of the technical aspects of lampworking and all things gas and you are hereby informed that I will from this day forward refer to you as "Oh Great One".

Thank you O Great One, for answering all of my measly questions and sharing your precious time, intelligence, and knowledge with someone such as myself.

Last edited by Peach Blossom Beads; 2007-03-19 at 9:07pm.
Old 2007-03-20, 5:53am
Safety ALWAYS

You are welcome, grasshopper..........

Old 2007-03-20, 7:20am
Does it come in Purple???

Congratulations Tara. Energy will be one of your biggest worries as time moves on. You have received wonderful advice so far. I torched through my pregnancy and had my blood tested along the way just to be sure and I have a beautiful healthy girl to boot. My energy was totally zapped at 6 mos so I was forced to slow way down but with all of the above info you can do what feels good for you. Happy Torching!

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2007-03-20, 7:34am

Thanks Jodie.

I know all about energy. I slept the entire month of February. I mean, then ENTIRE month. Not once did I leave the house, do a load of laundry, cook anything, move... but I'm 12 weeks as of yesterday and feeling much better. Hope it stays that way.