No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-25, 1:54pm
Does that shed?

Default New torch?

I am looking at purchasing a new mixed fuel torch and graduating from my hot head after almost a year of playing with fire. What would you experts recommend? I don't think I really want to work with boro much and my SG studio is in the process of a reno so I can have a lovely new torching station complete with good ventilation. So what do you guys think is a good graduating torch?
Old 2008-06-25, 2:30pm
Covered in glitter

I don't have one yet but I'd get a Betta. I currently have HH, a Minor and a Bobcat (none of which are hooked up right now) but I'd love a Betta. It will give you the capability to do boro if you ever choose to do so. I think Ron has them for $300 in the garage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-06-25, 3:30pm
Smooches!

I'd go with a GTT torch. I graduated up to the Lynx when I was done with my hothead. Then just recently graduated to the Cheetah! I have loved both my torches, and could do boro with both torches if I wanted to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-06-25, 3:37pm

I have a Lynx and don't like the noise. Have a Cheetah and do like it. But I have heard bang for the buck the mini cc is great for everything.
Old 2008-06-25, 5:03pm
Facebook addict

When I switched over from the HH, I went with the Mini cc because the flame is bushier than the minor. I also like Kate's Cheetah!

Mini cc w/2, 5 lpm concentrators
Old 2008-06-25, 5:27pm
Smooches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I have a Lynx and don't like the noise. Have a Cheetah and do like it. But I have heard bang for the buck the mini cc is great for everything.
Pat, I don't think your Lynx should've been noisy. At least mine isn't.

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-06-25, 5:30pm
They see me rollin'...

My Lynx isn't noisy, either! Not sure why yours was. I love mine! I haven't seen your cheetah yet, Kate, but I'm sure it's very nice too.

-Patti

-Patti
Old 2008-06-25, 6:03pm
Scientific Glass Girl

mini cc.

Old 2008-06-25, 6:35pm

I tried a minor & didn't like it nearly as much as I do the mini cc.
(I'm still on a hothead @ home!)
(of course I don't ever plan to do any boro--I don't like it--so...take my opinion with that in mind! )

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies

Last edited by lunamoonshadow; 2008-06-25 at 6:42pm.
Old 2008-06-25, 6:47pm

I love my Lynx! I just started using it this month after using a HotHead since 2005. It's great for sculptural work because it has a 2nd oxy knob and can get a really tiny, pinpoint flame. Plus you can work boro if you choose to at a later date. It may cost more than some of the others mentioned but the Lynx is pretty versatile.

Old 2008-06-25, 6:50pm
Covered in glitter

I've mostly used a mini cc and a minor. The mini is definitely hotter and has a lot more radiant heat. If you want to do a lot of little dots and things that take a lot of control, I think the minor is better for that. I'd still get the Betta though.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-06-26, 11:26am
MacGalver

I started on a Minor and graduated to a Lynx after several years. The Lynx is light years ahead of the Minor for my purposes! I was concerned about the extra expense, but I doubt I will upgrading from the Lynx for a long time, it does everything I need to do and then some.

p.s. My Lynx is not loud at all!

Last edited by Frit Diva; 2008-06-26 at 1:34pm.
Old 2008-06-26, 11:29am

I really love my mini cc!

* website/blog:
Old 2008-06-26, 11:58am
Virginia.

I love my betta - since I got it, I don't have any desire to upgrade or change - it does everything I want it to do. Virginia

If you have a chance, choose to dance!! If you are sick - stay home - you too can personally start a Pandemic!!! - Virginia

Old 2008-06-26, 12:02pm
I speak Murrini!

I'm with the Mini cc too!!! If you want to PM me, I'll give you the benefit of my tireless research and link you with the best price anywhere!

Hugs!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-06-26, 12:04pm

Mini CC here too!
Old 2008-06-26, 12:10pm

Mini CC! I tried the Hot Head and ended up with a bunch of burnt blobs. I bit the bullet and went to the Mini on the recommendation of a dear friend and mentor. Let me tell you, I haven't looked back. There hasn't been that much of a learning curve either. Contrary to what I feared most, I haven't melted a single mandrel! Yet.
Old 2008-06-26, 12:55pm
Present tense

I've used a Minor for the past couple of years, and tried out a Mini CC a few months ago. Granted, it was on tanked oxy (my Minor is on a 5LPM oxycon), but it was significantly hotter and I loved the radiant heat.

I'd been wanting a big big girl torch so I bought a HellCat, which essentially has a Mini CC as the inner fire. It's only been set up for a few days, but I'm loving it so far.

I think a lot depends on your style. My beads have gotten significantly larger in the last several months, and the Minor with 5LPM oxycon was either an exercise in Zen or frustration, depending on my mood. If you like little detailed beads with stringer and florals, you'll likely be happier with something direct and focused like a Minor. If you really want to melt a mass of glass, the Mini CC will be a nice step up.

The Minor (and the Bobcat too, I think) will be fine on a 5LPM oxycon, but the Mini CC will want more oxy, FYI in case oxygen is a consideration.

(Just as an aside, the M-15s for my HellCat came in last week and I promptly unpacked one and hooked it up to my Minor and it gave that poor torch brand new life! So, don't cheat yourself in the oxy department - you won't have nearly as much fun with the glass if things just don't "work"!)

|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2008-06-26, 1:40pm
Butterfly Rancher

The MiniCC is definitely happier with more O2. I went from a 5LPM to 10 LPM last summer and it was amazingly different. With just one oxycon, the torch seemed to reduce everything!

BTW anyone know of any other great deals on a Betta? I know about the R4 thread, I'm just not sure he has more of them and I'm thinking about changing to a Betta. I want a more focused flame than the MiniCC has.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-06-26, 2:11pm
one day at a time

Bobcat if you are into dots and fine stringer design details, it's also good for boro later. Mini CC if you are into sculpturals and long barrel beads.

These two torches are in the small torch bracket, but their type of heat works differently. I'm glad I have both, and they say you can never have too many torches!

I also tried the Betta with my oxy generator, but the Bobcat blew it out of the water when it comes to the heat level of my other two. The Mini is hot too, but the Bobcat flame is sharper and more focused so it melts boro faster.
Old 2008-06-27, 7:20am
one day at a time

ACK!! I stand corrected!! It wasn't the Betta my friend brought over for me to try out and I said my torches blew it out of the water! It was the 8M he brought over, and later he got the Betta, but I didn't have the right connections, so I could not try it out.

I know notta thing about the Betta!

Except that my friend said that it was a lot better than his 8M!
Old 2008-06-27, 7:36am
one day at a time

I just started this thread over in "Torch Questions" to discuss the comparisons of the Betta and others in the small torches class. To eliminate any confusion brought on by my silly mistake in the above post from yesterday!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...97#post1931497
Old 2008-06-28, 3:17am

just bought the lynx and tried it out. its great. i have a mega minor and although its a great torch i think the lynx is better. more finite control for doing detail work with stringers. that is due to pinpointing the flame with the the extra blue knob. when working with a larger flame it seems hotter than the minor. i am using it on an m15 concentrator.
Old 2008-06-28, 4:03am
3 times the burn

I have the Betta. I began lampworking in late 2005, had my first lesson on a Piranha and used the Piranha torch exclusively for over 2 years as that was the torch at the studio where I would rent time.

When I began planning my home studio, the Betta was introduced and I decided that would be the best bet for me. My original plan was to have my studio in my basement, and to use my current natural gas lines. The low pressure gas requirement for the Betta was one of the reasons I chose this torch. I also am interested in boro, but have done little with that glass.

My home studio is in my detached garage and I use propane for my Betta. While I am not as experienced, nor have I used a variety of torches (just the aforementioned Piranaha, and a hot head briefly), I am pleased with the Betta, propane and oxygen concentrator set up I have.

Good luck with your choice! You've gotten a lot of feedback and information here.

Wendy H.