Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2014-03-09, 7:13am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Just checked the standings, and "my" guy is dead last of the folks still in the race ( 1/4 of the field has scratched) BUT

He's the ONLY musher who still has all 16 of his dogs with him! He's a 22 year old kid, this is his first Iditarod, running Martin Buser's yearling team. Clearly he's doing what I'd want to see him do - taking it careful, taking care of his team, not getting cocky or careless.

I'm even prouder to have my bead riding with him!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-03-09, 9:23am
specializing in obnoxious

I have been having a great time following the race. I never realized that I might enjoy it this much.

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

Old 2014-03-09, 12:27pm

This has been such a tough year on the teams. The folks who finish in one piece are all kinds of tough.

Old 2014-03-09, 1:43pm

My musher, Michelle Phillips, is bib #15. She's stayed between 14th and 23rd place. She's currently at 18.

I didn't realize that food is provided at each checkpoint or that they had required rest periods. I should have looked into the general info before it got started!

Old 2014-03-09, 5:23pm

Not only that... They have to provide all the food and it gets shipped to each checkpoint. Huge undertaking.

Old 2014-03-11, 7:23am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I've run multi-day events, but in good weather and in a single venue. I have BOUNDLESS respect for anyone who organizes anything - but the logistics for the Iditarod leave me awestruck. I can't begin to imagine how many people and how much time is required.

L-111

Old 2014-03-11, 8:37am

Sarah Sanjurjo - Aliy Zirkle (bib 10)
Flamin' Francesca - Dallas Seavey (bib 14), Ellen Halverson (bib 24)

Dallas Seavey won the Iditarod with Aliy Zirkle coming in a wicked close second! Sounds like the last 2 hours were crazy with the front runner Jeff King scratching within grasp of Nome!

Old 2014-03-11, 9:43am

It has been so much fun following the mushers and their teams! It is an incredible race and I will be a fan for life. Big thanks to all that make it happen and thank you for letting us ride along! Chris
Old 2014-03-11, 3:17pm
Got Honey?

My musher, Jan Steves #40, scratched on day 3 after one of her dogs suffered an injury
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I am so proud to have participated and have the utmost respect for all of those who hit the trail! What an amazing and tough bunch of people!
And I cannot thank enough all who helped get the beads on the trail for BOC <3

Old 2014-03-11, 7:50pm
Bad Cat Glass

Wow, I am in awe that my beads crossed the finish line with the winning musher! I watched the standings every day and hope all the dogs and Dallas Seavey are doing well. Congratulations to all of the mushers, and I hope the beads bring a good price for BOC at auction.

Last edited by Flamin' Francesca; 2014-03-11 at 7:53pm.
Old 2014-03-12, 7:24am
flight risk

One set of my beads crossed the finish line today. It's been so much fun watching the race and learning more about the tradition.

Old 2014-03-13, 1:53pm

My racer is still in the race and on his way from Safety to Nome looks like he is improving on his last two race finishes! go Danny

#C-151
Old 2014-03-15, 6:29am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I am SO proud of my musher! He's still on the trail, and still has 15 of his dogs - the last musher with that many. He's dead last, taking care of his yearling team, taking it slow and careful - he was the perfect person for me to be matched up with. (I'm a 7 hour marathoner, built for endurance not for speed)

It's worth going to the race page and watching the video from Jeff King. These guys are amazing - seeing him give his sleeping bag to his dogs and huddle on the outside sheltering THEM with his body? Freaking heroic.

L-111

Old 2014-03-15, 9:00am

Mushers are a special breed. Highly competitive, nerves of steel to take on 1,000 miles of remote arctic conditions, and fiercely dedicated to the care of their dogs before themselves. I was born and raised here. Being able to combine the excitement and admiration of this race with our love of supporting Beads of Courage is pretty amazing. I'm so glad that you've followed your beautiful art on its heroic journey. It just seems so fitting that our little beads have all these heros fingerprints on them before taking the next steps to support a child's fight.

Laura

Old 2014-03-19, 8:59am
Bad Cat Glass

Does anyone know how the auction went or if it has happened yet?
Old 2014-03-19, 6:54pm

We will get the beads back over the next several months and they will be sold at the September flame off challenge.

Laura

Old 2014-03-19, 8:22pm
Bad Cat Glass

Thanks, Laura. Just curious if the auction takes place in Alaska or somewhere else. Have some cousins in Anchorage, and they wanted to know how they could see the bedas etc.
Old 2014-03-20, 7:49am

Yes, it will happen at Artmosphere studio in September.

Laura

Old 2014-03-20, 10:24am
Bad Cat Glass

Excellent, thank you!
Old 2015-01-19, 10:05am

Hi "Honeys" - will you be collecting beads for the 2015 Iditarod event? (I know it is a lot of hard work and organization - I enjoyed participating last year, just thought I would ask.)
Old 2015-01-19, 11:19am
MacGalver

I'd like to know about this also! Would love to send some beads if it happens again~

Old 2015-01-24, 3:12pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Is it too late to sign up?

Old 2015-01-25, 9:48am

I'd like to donate as well.

Thx,
ginger
Old 2015-01-25, 3:45pm

I'll check in on that an let you know.

Robert
Old 2015-01-25, 3:45pm

Sounds interesting...
Old 2015-01-31, 9:57am

Hi and thanks to all who participated in previous years - we are doing it again! We have a little bit of a late start, but you can send beads (same as last year - 12 beads) to:
Artmosphere Studio
801 E 82nd, Unit 16A
Anchorage AK 99515
We'll package the beads for the Trail on Feb 21 and 28. Earlier is better. I'm about to start a new post for 2015. So let's move all the new questions to that one. I'm so excited to see your Iditarod creations!!!