Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-10-30, 12:34pm

Default Dot Placement/color reactions

Does anyone have any suggestions on dot placement to come up with some pretty cool patterns? My brain is running on empty and I just am not hitting on anything to get the creative process going. Also, does anyone have any suggestions on colors that cause real great reactions? I know most of them involve EDP, but I cannot for the life of me find EDP to order. I looked at Frantz and am having a hard time. Is it listed under a different name?
Old 2007-10-30, 12:47pm

try Purple 254 (at least I think that's the correct number!)

Marjorie
Old 2007-10-30, 1:52pm
Word to your mother

Try rubino over opal yellow, copper green, turquoise, purple (EDP), pea green, mosaic green...

different combinations of this are cool. http://host.pappapak4.com/~beadstil/gallery.php 4th row, 2nd picture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-10-30, 2:23pm

I really like that picture Kendra, I will have to give that a try.
Old 2007-10-30, 2:39pm

Turquoise w/ivory does some neat stuff. Reacts by putting a black line between the two colors (so it outlines your dots, flowers, etc.). If you really cook it the line gets kind of fuzzy and spreads, sort of like the lace effect of IB, but not exactly.

Rachel
Old 2007-10-30, 3:13pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

I just bought EDP from Heritage Glass, try them. Oh, sometimes they call it Fuschia Purple.

Old 2007-10-30, 3:38pm

klc beads..I have a lot of edp if you cant find it anywhere let me know. If you pay for postage I'll be happy to send you a few rods.

STOP to see my new etsy shop!

Old 2007-10-30, 4:11pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

then orange and turquoise has the same reaction--with the dark line.

try: Ivory base, turquoise dot, then an orange dot on top of that. It'll look very sharp, each dot will be outlined.

Old 2007-10-30, 4:32pm
Missing presumed fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjjjj View Post
try Purple 254 (at least I think that's the correct number!)
Yes, Marjorie's right.

Evil Devitrifying Purple is just an insulting (if accurate) nickname (although I thought Frantz did have EDP listed on the color chart next to the official name at one point.)

You might even see it called "orchid" sometimes. The "254" as the last 3 digits of the number is the giveaway.
Old 2007-10-30, 4:37pm
Missing presumed fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC View Post
Turquoise w/ivory does some neat stuff. Reacts by putting a black line between the two colors (so it outlines your dots, flowers, etc.).
This is a reaction between colors made with copper (turquoise) and colors made with sulfur (ivory). Copper colors are turquoise, sky blue, petroleum green a/k/a teal, copper green, and green. Sulfur colors are ivory (dark and light), coral, yellow, orange, red. Pick one from the copper list and put it with one from the sulfur list, and you'll get the dark line. (Try making a twistie.) It shows up best with ivory and least well with the dark reds.
Old 2007-10-30, 6:05pm
Burn baby, burn

Default brain dead

I'm very sorry I don't remember the lady's name, but she sells frit and it looks like she has red hair in her picture -- she posted a link to a whole series of test beads with great reactions ... anyone remember? Perhaps .. Caroline?
Old 2007-10-30, 8:11pm
Life is change. Love it

I think it was Christy Phelps, but I may be wrong. I'm not sure if she sells frit though?

Old 2007-10-30, 9:44pm
Glass-aholic

layering nyx and cobalt is one ov my fav's!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2007-10-31, 12:19am
Just me

It was Candy (beadgoodies)
Here's her post, click on the link she posted, you'll be glad you did! http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=10
She shared an awesome collection of beads she has made and the reactions she got with specific glasses named too!
I printed it up for referrence.

This is the thread her post was in, some great info here.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...lors+spreading

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2007-10-31 at 12:22am.
Old 2007-10-31, 7:45am

Thank you everybody so much! I basically was only aware of the turquoise and ivory reactions so now I have my work cut out for me! Pam I will pm you regarding the purple rods!
Old 2007-10-31, 8:21am

How about an UNwanted reaction? I made a cute little kidlet (from a tutorial here a long time ago) with ivory and wanted rosy pink cheeks. Used Rubino and got the blackest cheeks a kid ever saw. LOL.
Old 2007-10-31, 9:21am

I'm thinking that is from burning the color out of the glass from having it too close to the torch.
Old 2007-10-31, 10:56am
Just me

Rubino and ivory don't play well together. They react and you get black yuck.

Old 2007-11-06, 9:24am

I haven't been able to get EDP but what kind of fun stuff has anyone come up with using silver blue frit? What colors does this glass look great with, do you make stringer with it for detail or what?
Old 2007-11-06, 12:18pm

try making stringer from silver blue frit and applying it to copper green - reduce a little bit when you've finished the bead.

Marjorie
Old 2007-11-06, 2:03pm

I've been wanting to give that a try. Will have to get some copper green rods. Boy do I know what to ask for Christmas this year!