Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Is your torching affected by the weather?
Yes, I cannot torch at all if the temperature is too hot outside. 72 23.00%
Yes, I cannot torch during the extreme cold of the winter 53 16.93%
The weather doesn't affect me 88 28.12%
The weather limits me, but I work through it somehow 100 31.95%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-06-11, 10:42am
Glass-aholic

The weather does not limit me here in new england (inside studio) but i find myself much more wanting to torch the hotter it is. that sun comes out in the summer and 80 and up up up i'm on the torch!!! i know i'm strange....
________
THE CIGAR BOSS

Last edited by jaci; 2011-04-17 at 7:34pm.
Old 2007-06-11, 10:52am

I'm inside and moved there once I discovered how much I like doing this and couldn't in the garage. It gets over 100 in the summer, unbearable with a torch and kiln running. Now I'm in my office space which is now a combo office/studio/photography/silversmithing/jewelry making space. I've got a lot in a room the size of a bedroom. But I love it. During the summer I do run the AC and open a small window on the cooler side of the house for make up air. It still gets hotter than heck in there, but managable and at least the rest of the house stays relatively cool for my husband. I have a small turbo fan on the floor directing air towards my oxycons and a tower fan in the doorway of the room to help bring in fresh air from the house to make up for what the exhaust hood takes out. And I love it, I can torch any time any day. Woo hoo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bullet with 2 15lp oxycons
Old 2007-06-11, 7:06pm
koregon

I put to hot or extreme cold both

we work in our garage...but do live six miles inland on the oregon coast.

extreme cold would be low 30's to 20's to many days in a row...it just is to cold to run the concentrator's and keep the garage warm enough to work..since it isn't insulated in anyway

and if it hits 100 here, or high 90's sometimes that just makes it unbearable in our garage..and yes, six miles in land we do get that kind of temp/whereas Newport will be in the 70's...the six miles ....has a hill/and we get valley temps. but early morning and late at night, if it cools down can be torchable....but since we sit in direct sun all day, mid 90's its over a 100 easy in the garage...and that is just to hot to torch for very long.

someday, some heat and ac would be nice, then it won't matter.

Old 2007-06-12, 9:26am
Formerly Kellyhorton

I torch in my garage...takes my butt 2 hours to thaw when i go to bed in the winter! LOL.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2007-06-12, 12:19pm
Type ZZZ personality

The basement is really nice in the summer. Cool! I do have to make sure to preheat my rods in the winter, but I can still torch.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2011-08-07, 6:19pm

This is an older poll, but I was searching for anyone else who was having oxycon/torch problems in the humidity. So, yes, I'm affected by the weather, but I try to find ways around it.

I'm in an uninsulated garage in MN. I do have a heater for the winter which works fine if I remember to turn in on an hour or so before my son goes to bed (I torch after he's asleep). But, now we're in the 80-100 degree summer days with 70-80% humidity and now I'm having some serious torch not lighting properly/keeping a neutral flame (if I can get one at all) issues. Back to searching the forums for ideas

Old 2011-08-07, 6:21pm

This is when I had the studio up and running. Hope to have it soon.

Rose Leslie
Old 2011-08-07, 6:49pm
My lab pups - Mojo & Babe

I live in maryland and have a studio in our base which is only partially underground. Even though we can get extreme temps here, i can always work on the torch. Somehow the basement maintains a comfortably cool temperature all year. Very lucky in that regard. I work full time at my real job, so i either torch in the evenings after dinner or anytime over the weekends.

|
|

Old 2011-08-08, 12:20am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Canada - can't torch in my garage during the stupid Winter. Sigh..

Old 2011-08-08, 1:12am
one day at a time

It's high 90's to over 100 in my studio this time of year and I have no choice but to put up with it. It's a wonder I haven't had a heart attack. It's kind of scary when the sweat pours off your body so much, you wonder how just drinking enough water will keep you hydrated. I drink a cup and at the same time I'm losing a cup. It's pretty darn steamy. Of course, born and raised S. FL girl like me just can't stand it when the temp dips below 55 degrees either. lol
Old 2011-08-08, 1:23am

Just work thru it.
Interior of Alaska here. Sometimes gets to -65 for 3 weeks straight around the holidays. Just open the windows, turn on the fan, turn up the Toyostove and get on with business.

I'm trying to syc myself up because the "termination dust is already 1/2 way down the mountains....

DeAnn

Minor Propane Oxycon SC2 Jim Moore Bead Press
Old 2011-08-08, 7:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAnn View Post
Ju"termination dust is already 1/2 way down the mountains....
I had to look that up, but *shudder* the thought of snow moving in already is not pleasant!

Old 2011-08-08, 8:24pm
suechrist

Default Too Hot To Torch

I'm in the Dallas, TX area and my studio is in the old breakfast room. It has two windows for ventilation. As many of you have heard, it's been over 100 for thirty something days in a row. We've had no rain since June and you certainly wouldn't want to light a match outside. I don't want to waste air conditioning. I will get back to it in late September. I'm sure I will have to hone my skills again, but I have several ideas and I should probably draw them out in colored pencil.

etsy
Old 2011-08-09, 5:00pm

I am limited by cold in winter and high heat/humidity in summer. Going to try a heater in winter this year!
Old 2011-08-10, 4:00pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Dallas area here too. I get up early and can usually torch until about 11 am. After that forgidabboudit.

Old 2011-08-11, 12:36pm

South GA and torch outside, so yes the weather affects me. I try to get up early and torch as long as i can stand it in the heat and take regular breaks.
If it gets below 60 (and it did last winter) I struggle with larger beads or sculptures, it seems I have a lot more breakage with those types if it is below 60. I think the glass just cools too quickly when I pull it out of the flame. I have my rods on a warming tray year round so that is not a problem.

SRA #C88

Old 2011-08-11, 12:40pm

My studio has A/C but with the ventilation running the cooler air disappears quickly. When it gets too hot I jump in the pool then throw on a wrap and head back to the torch.

Old 2011-08-11, 2:20pm

I have an uninsulated shed in Tucson for my studio. I'll be getting up at 4am tomorrow and will torch until about 9 or 10am.

In the winter, I refuse to go out there unless it's at least 50 deg.

Funny, I'm an Alaska girl and can't believe I just wrote that 50 is cold! Termination dust is a romantic phrase for "summer's ending, hurry up and get your stuff ready before it all freezes solid".
Old 2011-08-13, 3:10am

101 degress here near Houston today. 5:00 am bead call for a non a/c garage studio. If I start out cooler I can adapt to the heat can last until around 3:00 pm. I could not start out around noon and make it out there.

Old 2011-08-13, 7:14am
It's about having fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolS View Post
I'm in the same situation as Karen out here in the AZ barbeque pit! I work indoors, but that means sucking precious AC outside and having a window open for make up air pulling HOT air back inside! I am definitely a night owl, but during the 4 months it is intolerably hot outside, I have to get up at 4:30 or 5:00 a.m. to get some good torch time in.
I'm with the other Valley peeps. Most of the time I'm fine in my indoor studio but the ventilation sucks out the AC. I have been limiting my torch time to mostly the weekends so I'm not running up the utility bill everyday. I batch anneal so the kiln isn't a big problem though.
My favorite place to play is on the patio, and that works out about 6 months out of the year. We are pretty lucky here.
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-08-13, 12:33pm
picking Job's Tears

Different problems: if it is too windy (open carport) I get cracked ends no matter what. And I'd love to start using my Cricket but it's so humid (raining) that I don't want to run the oxycon (of course if it wasn't raining I'd be out in the yard). I'll either have to put up a bigger table so that I can have the Hothead set up too or take the Cricket off.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2011-08-14, 2:57pm
RAH!

Weather limits me a lot, can't torch when its too cld, too hot, raining or windy.. as i work outside on the patio under an awning. Its not really the heat or cold thats a problem in england, its the rain that hampers things the most!

(Now with stock! And useful photography!)
Old 2011-08-15, 8:16pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Yes I am affected.... I mean the heat/weather affects me! Cold beer helps.
I hate the heat, have about 18+ hot flashes a day (seriously--any suggestions??!!) and the garage is my my own personal torturous sauna in summer. But the nights are cooling faster and lower now, so I should be out there ..........right now, as a matter of fact......seeya!

Old 2011-08-16, 1:19am

I checked working around the weather. I work in a shopping center in the A/C. For me, the temperature isn't the issue. The issue is the barometric pressure. If it's below 29.9, the glass works REALLY slow and cracks like crazy. The best time for me to torch is right after a good thunderstorm when the barometer shoots up.

Glasskat2010

Old 2011-08-16, 3:13am

Our 'boom room' is really cold in winter, and no matter how careful, we have a lot of glass explode. (Lots of frit on our table!) In summer, sitting by a 930• oven and behind a hot torch x 2 is not much of a reason to do a lot of lampworking either. So yes, weather is a deciding factor with our production. I really miss it when I can't go play! Marilyn
Old 2011-08-16, 9:31am
Queen Tut ;)

The temps don't bother me, my basement stays really comfy.

Just can't torch during storms because we're up on a mountain and we tend to lose power a lot. Last thing I want is to be in the middle of a bead, then *poof* no electricity. Have to keep that in mind for after my torch session while my kiln runs...would hate for the power to go out mid-annealing cycle! So far I've been lucky, but these storms can creep up on us

Old 2011-08-16, 8:03pm
Sheila Davis Designs

In the winter,I just have to wait for the studio to heat up,sometimes the kiln does not want to kick in. In the summer, it's rarely too hot here in the PNW and when it is I torch in the morning when it's cool..or just sweat alot! Talk about sweatin' with the oldies!!

Old 2011-08-18, 6:31pm

My studio is part of an artist co-op in a fabulous old foundry in the tiny village of Noank, CT. We are fortunate to have heat AND running water - all the basic comforts. We're right across from a boatyard and a pretty little harbor, so there's usually a sweet summer breeze that blows through the open doors. Life IS good!
Old 2011-08-21, 12:35pm

Should add to environmental conditions - carnivorous ants. Torching today I was attacked and bitten on the feet - OUCH!

SRA #C88

Old 2011-08-21, 6:08pm

Location: Indian River County, Florida originally from Connecticut

Well its always to hot for me in FL.
The big issue is when there is outside fires burning up the swamp land.
My 2750 CFM fan will suck it into the house. So when there is a fire I do something else.