Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2005-12-10, 7:30pm
Crunchy ol' Momma

Default PVC pipe for glass storage ...

I just bought a length of PVC pipe to cut into pieces for glass storage. I'm just wondering how those of you who use it have mounted it ... and also how long did you cut the sections of PVC? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 2005-12-10, 8:03pm

I cut mine in 1 foot sections and glued it togeather with pvc cement. the first rach I did was built up like a triangle. ( legths glued togeather then others glued in between where they meet) it got too large rapidly and I gave it to a teaching studio because it was large enough to fit on their table between 6 students (ugh) my new one is glued togeather like a square/rectangle. ( each length basically glued to 4 others.) Both get heavy fast. Takes myself and another man to move mine at this point. But no other shelving is needed and it is basically impossible at its current height to be knocked over. also the pvc pipe I used is large enough to comfortably hold more than a pound of glass. Also the little "squares" made when the pipe is glued togeather is great for holding the stringers- I simply put them in the right hand top hole nearest the pipe of the rods I pulled it from. Hope this explaination is clear enough to help.

A.
Old 2005-12-10, 9:07pm

I bought some cheap plastic shelves that I put my pvc pipes in. I didn't glue them, just stacked. I think Shawnette has the same shelves and a picture of it here somewhere. I'll look for it.
Found it: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3430
I got 4 of these so I can seperate types of glass by box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need custom made price tags? Check out my friend
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! Mention my name.
I LOVE these cards, plus they make life a little easier when getting ready for shows!

Last edited by evenia; 2005-12-10 at 9:22pm.
Old 2005-12-10, 9:09pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I am always about over securing things.. We cut them in 12 inch lengths and then glued them and wrapped the entire thing in decorative duct tape.. I make duct tape purses, so mine is covered in all different colors..
Old 2005-12-10, 10:33pm
oxygen deprived

Stacking worked well for me, no mounting required.

I built a stand with scrap wood, and it is basically a rectangular box with supports that sits at a 60 degree angle so gravity keeps the tubes in place. Construction took 20 min. The weight of the glass prevents anything from moving around and it's such an easy solution! Also, if you mount at an angle the tubes can be shorter, and you can see all of the colors better.

I also used heavy, commercial-grade paper towel tubes instead of PVC piping - a pound of glass fits in each and they're extremely sturdy. Plus they were free, already at the right length, and light enough that the whole glass rack can still be moved if need be. I think the length of each is around 8 inches - but take that number with a shaker of salt.

Good luck with your project!
Old 2005-12-10, 10:49pm
Crunchy ol' Momma

Thank you so much for the link to the other thread! I think I am going to be taking back my PVC pipe (or maybe make some sort of lazy susan type of stringer storage with it) and perhaps I'll get one of those nifty blue cabinets that Gail has ... that thing looks great! I'll have to ask her where she found the plastic inserts ...
Old 2005-12-11, 9:10am
Button Queen

I put the PVC pipe into kitty litter buckets. Empty of course. That way I can move them around when I need/want to since they have handles.
Old 2005-12-11, 12:17pm
Gentleman of Leisure

I stuck my PVC tubes in a plastic milk crate... Make several, they stack, they move easily... If you put a piece of hardboard or plywood in bottom of crate before putting in PVC tubing you can stand "storage system" so rods are vertical or horizontal and the will not go through back/bottom.

Think it took 6 lengths (10ft lengths) of 1-1/2 Schedule 40 PVC pipe to create one unit. Tubes are cut 11 inches long Milk crate is 12 x18 style... It produced 63 storage tubes...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-12-11 at 12:44pm.
Old 2005-12-11, 4:33pm

I just used PVC glue, it sets up in seconds !
Lynnie

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-01-04, 3:50pm

What did you guys use to cut those pvc pipes so cleanly?
Old 2006-01-04, 4:59pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Bead
What did you guys use to cut those pvc pipes so cleanly?
Saw.... You could use a hacksaw, wood saw... Whatever... I actually cut mine with a power "table saw"... If here is any burrs or roughness a little sandpaper can clean that up... Basically any tools that will cut wood will work...

Dale

Old 2006-01-06, 5:07pm

Default re: pvc pipe for glass storage

I used a bandsaw to cut mine then used sandpaper to smooth the rough edges. Mine are stacked in a old freezer basket and an adjustable rack. I put a piece of ceiling tile in the back of it so that the rods didn't go thru it. They are not mounted. Since they are stacked and snug against each other, they don't move.

Old 2006-01-06, 6:12pm
Super Duper

I think mine is the prettiest:

I stacked them up in cardbord boxes but when its done it looks much cleaner than you would think. I also like how the tubes are stacked square instead of all randomish and how it is easy to label every tube (I just folded a peice of paper down and stuck the long side inbetween the tubes).
Old 2006-01-06, 7:03pm
Kat the bat

Gosh Ryan i wish i was THAT organized... hee hee... i dont have anywhere to put my glass rods, hee hee
Old 2006-01-06, 8:05pm

I just added more layers of PVC. It is easy if you are using PVC cement, to stack them in Pyramids and them invert 2 inside of 3!

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-01-06, 9:22pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTheNumberImp

I stacked them up in cardbord boxes but when its done it looks much cleaner than you would think. I also like how the tubes are stacked square instead of all randomish and how it is easy to label every tube (I just folded a peice of paper down and stuck the long side inbetween the tubes).

That studio is just for show. NOBODY has one that clean or orderly...

Dale

Old 2006-01-06, 10:03pm
Super Duper

Its not really for show but I just got set up this week and that was before I started torching. Now there are little bits of glass everywhere.
Old 2006-01-06, 10:36pm
Happy 10 a.m.!

Dale, I did the same thing only with square pvc pipes (downspouts) cut in 12 inch lengths. Two 10 foot downspouts fit perfectly into one milk crate, and the best part for me was you can get the guy at the hardware store to cut them for you!

Mega Minor w/propane, tanked oxy and humor
Old 2006-01-06, 11:10pm

My husband bought some PVC cutters at Lowe's that work really well. They were about $5 from what I remember. We also bought some storage box things at Staples and didn't put the shelves in them. We filled them up with PVC pipe and it works well. I will try to add a picture later. We used smaller size PVC pipe in some spots to make it all fit really snug. I use that for stringers.
Old 2006-01-06, 11:19pm
BHB's- big honkin' beads!

I agree with Veda!! Why use round tubes when one can just use square PVC guttering. Comes in 10 foot lenghts and you just cut it, stack it, glue it all together with PVC glue. It takes up much less area than round tubes and much easier to cut and put together. Available at most hardware stores like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. It's exactly what Arrowsprings glass racks are made of. I thought everyone out there was doing this!!??
Cheers, Larry

Website is back up!!! Yipee!!!
Old 2006-01-07, 12:26pm
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTheNumberImp

What an awesome studio, Ryan! I can't wait to see what you come up with from it!

Teresa
Old 2006-01-07, 12:27pm
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M.
That studio is just for show. NOBODY has one that clean or orderly...Dale
Hey, I clean mine daily - I have a six year old and three cats - if I don't clean every day, someone or something is gonna get hurt! Besides, I create better when I can find my tools on the bench, lol.

Teresa
Old 2006-01-07, 12:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by danelady
I just used PVC glue, it sets up in seconds !
Lynnie
Lynnie, do I see glass nubs with a tag on them stuck to the wall?. What a good idea. Do you mind if I use your idea? Thanks. Pam BTW great looking storage in all the pics.
Old 2006-01-07, 1:08pm
I'm a lilac!

I use the 1" thin-wall PVC, cut into 1' lengths, for most colors, and the bigger stuff for large quantities. I like the 1" thin-wall because it costs $1.15 per ten-foot length, and it holds exactly one pound of glass. It helps discourage me from overstocking and tying up a bunch of money in glass that will sit there for a year before I use it. I try now to only have more than a pound at a time in colors I go through really fast.

I stack it all in a wood bookshelf, and each COE has its own shelf.
Attached Images

Old 2006-01-07, 9:10pm
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera
I like the 1" thin-wall because it costs $1.15 per ten-foot length, and it holds exactly one pound of glass.
You know, that might also be a great setup for folks that have to do inventory - sure would make estimating your pounds of glass in stock a lot easier! I'd imagine you can look at one of the pipes and tell pretty quick how much of a pound is left in it?

Teresa
Old 2006-01-10, 2:43pm

I used to have all of mt glass in the round PVC pipe and stacked pyramid style. Glued it with PVC glue. One day, (2 xmases ago) I heard this sound of glass breaking and falling. I thought it was my xmas tree. (w/ a 3 year old boy, you never know), wasn't that. I didn't go in my garage for a few days. When I finally went in all of my beautiful glass was all over the floor and the PVC had just given out and collapsed. I glued the entire length of each tube when I made it. So, I switched to square PVC in a milkcrate. After talking to some people, they said that glue works when you glue your sprinklers together in a different way than the length of the pipe-usually you go around it and put it together with a connecter. So those of you that have it pyramid style with no support around it, I hope you don't go through the heartbreak I did. Duct tape sounds like a good idea. or something to hold it together.
Old 2006-01-10, 3:15pm

Default PVC glass storage disaster

Thanks for the heads up on your glass disaster. You just changed me back to building a wooden container for the PVC. I had decided to just glue the pipe together, but I don't think I want to risk it now.

Hope you didn't lose too much glass to breakage!

Eric
Old 2021-08-04, 12:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
Thanks for the heads up on your glass disaster. You just changed me back to building a wooden container for the PVC. I had decided to just glue the pipe together, but I don't think I want to risk it now.

Hope you didn't lose too much glass to breakage!

Eric
Same here. I changed my mind and potentially saved a lot of glass.
Old 2021-08-17, 7:08am

Thanks for starting this thread. I have a ton of unorganized glass that I really need to get under control. Seeing everyone's ideas is inspiring me to actually go to Home Depot and get some PVC and get my glass organized.

Old 2021-08-17, 8:03am
Queen of the milo field

I use gutter downspout stacked in an old steel lab cabinet gotten at auction.

Name:  glass storage.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  82.5 KB

dj