Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2007-09-21, 5:58pm
Mr. Bubble -- OBS Member

Exclamation Propane Flare Up

I'm having problems with my propane. It keeps flaring up. I use to have an oxygen tank but now I have a concentrator model M-15. I love it, no more renting. I also use the propane tanks you use for your BBQ. I have had this problem before when I was renting the oxygen in tanks so I know it shoulden't be that. It seems to fllare up and down on a whim while I'm on the torch. I have it set at 5ppi but I have tried turning it up a little and down a little with on affect. I'll turn everything on, get it set and the next thing I know It'l start flaring up! I've changed out the propane a few times but It still seems to do the same thing. Only one time do I think I didn't have is problem. Don't remember when that was. I have cleaned out the holes in the torch several times, nothing changes! Could it be bad pro or a bad connection. The regulator connection is about two years old. Maybe it's an o-ring problem? It's driving me crazy!
Old 2007-09-21, 6:12pm
Bliss Junkie

your clearing out your lines after torching every time???

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2007-09-21, 6:52pm
Mr. Bubble -- OBS Member

I think so. I'll turn off the oxygen then the propane at the torch first. Then I turn off the tanks and re-open at the torch. First the oxygen all the way then close it Then the same for the propane. Is this right?
Old 2007-09-21, 8:05pm
Borovangelist

I was taught it as POOP.

Propane Oxygen/ Oxygen Propane.

Though there's some debate as to the second half ordering. I have a redmax with a minor piggybacked on top and I find for the major POOP is fine. For the minor POPO gets me less popping.
Old 2007-09-21, 9:10pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

By chance are you on a GTT?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-09-22, 6:09am
Mr. Bubble -- OBS Member

I have a minor burner. Is there an o-ring or gaskit in the torch that could be the problem. The torch is about two yours old.
Old 2007-09-22, 7:16am

I am on an OGSI 15, and I don't turn the oxy off at the torch at all? I turn off the gas at the torch and then at the bottle. The concentrator gets turned off and the oxy is left on while the pressure goes down in the concentrator. I leave the oxy valve open except when I actually light the torch. I don't think that would be your problem though.
Are you sure it is the propane flaring and not the oxy dropping out? Because either would look the same I would think. Try hooking your torch up to someone else's concentrator or bottle and see if it keeps doing it. If it does, then at least you know it is a propane/regulator problem and not the oxy.

Kym
Old 2007-09-22, 8:10am
Mr. Bubble -- OBS Member

I've had this problem both with the oxygen tanks that I rented and now with my concentrator M-15. My husband is looking into it now and so-far we have found a brown residue in the lines coming from the propane.
Old 2007-09-22, 12:34pm
Mr. Bubble -- OBS Member

Found out it's my regulator. The guy at arrow springs said I should have been keeping it set at about 10-13 psi. Wish I had known that sooner. He said, keeping it at 5 psi is ok for the torch but not for the regulator. Can't fix it or buy a new one til monday though, darn...
Old 2007-09-22, 5:40pm
Flamewoman

Don't throw out your regulator until you try using again with the higher pressure, it may work. I had a similar problem, and when I upped the presure it stopped. Can't cost ya anything to try it!

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!