LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-10-20, 5:52am

Default Wale Firebird

Hi Everybody,

I am going to step out on a shaky limb here and report my experience with the Wale Firebird. I don't really want to hear about the whole problem with it looking similar to the GTT torches. I have heard all about that and I don't want to revisit it. I figure that is a problem between GTT and Wale.

Anyway, I usually work with a Barracuda with 2 concentrators (an Integra and an M15) and natural gas. I was given a chance to try the Firebird for free so I unhooked the Barracuda and have been working with the Firebird for about 2 weeks.

I gotta tell you. I really like this torch. I have been able to make all the things I usually make...from small boro beads, to boro focals and pendants. Have not tried a marble yet. My Barracuda has always been a bit reducing and I have to use a really driving flame (almost hissing) to get a more neutral flame with it. I like that with the Firebird I don't have to use that driving flame to get a more neutral flame. Feels a little more relaxing! So far, I like the colors I am getting. I can't say I see a dramatic difference in the colors from the Barracuda. If anything, I think I do see a change in the colors in that they are probably not being reduced as they tended to be on the Barracuda if I was not careful to add lots of oxy.

So - for the moment, the Firebird will stay hooked up. Not to say that I won't go back to the Barracuda. The jury is still out on that one. But in general, I would say that for someone looking to start out with boro and continue to do soft glass, this is a great torch choice especially as the price is right.

Sandy
Old 2007-10-22, 7:49am

Boy, that is a shaky limb you are on!

I really applaud your effort here, to put forth a review on something that has gotten a lot of press that seems to have very little to do with the actual use of the product. Reviews are very important to the industry in my opinion, and I kind of wish we saw more of them that are thought out with great feedback.

I guess all I have to say is, thanks for posting your thoughts on this product!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-always a sale and new items to check out!
East coast supplier of colored glass rod in 104 and 33, tools, torches, gloves, and everything else a flameworker needs
Where LE users receive 15% off glass, and 10% on everything else, every day all year long!
Old 2007-10-22, 11:23am
Missing presumed fed

Sandy, the one person I know who has used a Firebird doesn't like the way the hoses come out of the torch. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but the hoses get in the way. Hers is an early model, and the design might have been changed. Have you noticed anything on yours? (If you haven't had to think about it, then I guess there's no problem.)
Old 2007-10-22, 11:28am
ManBearPig

I was offered the chance to try a Firebird for free as well about two months ago. I told them that I'd be interested in trying it (who wouldn't want to try a free torch?). I never got the torch. I'd still be interested in trying it just to say I've tried it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-10-23, 6:08am

The torch has the small hoses coming from the torch with the connections for your regular hoses on the ends of them (does that make sense?) I had no problem with the hoses - just had to tighten the hose clamps very tight as the connections are not as tight as I am used to with my other torches. I usually use a c-clamp on my table to keep the hoses out of my way.

Thanks, Carlisle guy...there are lots of great torches out there and they all work for specific situations. The Firebird is certainly not as solid and built for a lifetime as the Carlisle torches are, so that is something to keep in mind also when you are making a decision. Cosmo, maybe you could contact whoever it was and ask for the torch again?

Sandy
Old 2007-10-23, 6:17am
ManBearPig

Well, I don't feel right doing that. If I had bought it, then yes, but since they were going to give it to me, I don't think it's right to do...

Old 2007-10-23, 7:02am

Yes, Cosmo...I can see your point... Sandy