AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Old 2008-01-25, 9:34am
California grrl

Question Help - Best Torch To Make Large Beads ?

HI, took class got maap, but cant make big beads, gotta upgrade - now what? I am a bit scared of lots of tanks and hoses etc. but gotta bite the bullet and do it ! Anyone got a used/new lynx for sale - I hear they rock !
Old 2008-01-25, 9:57am
ManBearPig

The torch really doesn't matter. Your technique is what matters. I made this bead, which is over 2.75" long on a Minor with one concentrator:

Any oxygen/propane torch will allow you to make big beads. You just have to get the technique down so you can keep it warm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-01-25, 10:04am
da General

fyredreams, what torch do you have now? You mentioned being afraid of hoses and tanks, are you using a hothead? When you say large beads - how large are you talking about? The longest bead I have ever made on my Bobcat is 4-1/4" – it is one of the entry level torches and one step below the Lynx.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-01-25, 12:20pm
California grrl

I have fireworks torch head(kindergarten ? ) only good thing is auto start button ! Yes Hayley I want to make beads almost that big and even somewhat thick too (not 4 inches thick, of course, but 1 to 1 1/2 inch at least)..... thanks all so much !!
Old 2008-01-25, 12:26pm
Entropy increasing....

I make beads up to almost 4 inches on my minor with tanked oxy.

Old 2008-01-25, 12:30pm
da General

fyredreams - if you want to make a LONG as well as THICK bead, then you will be better with a slightly larger torch than the entry level ones (such as my Bobcat, or Minor) . . . look for one with a bushier flame for the radiant heat. Best is to try different ones out. Do you have a place close by where you may be able to do that?

Also what is your budget? Will you be working only with soft glass?

The reason I asked is that I just got a Barracuda and am waiting for my upgraded oxycons to hook it up . . . I hope to do more sculptural stuff as well as boro.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-01-25, 4:25pm
DSDWC

Its not really a question of how large you want to work but how fast. I can make any of my beads up to 4 inches on a minor and do so in many of my classes where this is the class room torch. It just takes much longer and you spend most of your time keeping the bead hot. With a larger torch you spend less time heating and more time working the bead. When I teach I always try and have my Barracuda with me for demo's. By working faster I can show more techniques which is what everyone wants. I always make a couple of large beads on the minor just to show it can be done and how.
I work with mostly 104coe now and use a Split Manifold Barracuda with a foot pedal. Most of my beads take between 30-45 minutes on this set up. On a minor double that time. If I was working with more boro as I have in the past I would probably step up to one of the hotter torches such as a GTT Mirage.

Old 2008-01-27, 9:01am
California grrl

* I went to Corinna's website she has a personal review of some torches It looks like a mini cc will be best for me, got one yu want to sell, anybody?