Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-02-08, 11:24am

Default Anyone use a Nortel Major/Minor??

Hi all - I'm about 5 months in to this nutty obsession and I'm ready to ditch the HH and get a big girl torch. Here's my conundrum - like my kiln, I want something I can handle now but grow into. I've done nothing but soft glass to this point but boro is looming on the horizon. I want a torch that will be good for both and found Nortel's Major/Minor.

My question to you - does anyone use one of these? Do you use it for both soft glass and boro? Can you suggest a better torch in the under $1000 price range? I'll be on tanked oxy/propane when the glorious day comes and I seem to be prone to making fairly large beads.

Oh - one last question - surface or pre-mix?????

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Here's a link to the torch I'm drooling over....

http://www.winshipdesigns.com/home/w...xno_block.html
Old 2008-02-08, 12:03pm
ManBearPig

I can suggest several better torches in that price range. The Major is not much of a torch, in my opinion. The square face doesn't make much heat at all. I can get more heat out of a MidRange than a Major. A Red Max would be a good choice, as would a Red Rocket.

However, I highly suggest you look at a Knight Bullet. In my opinion, it's the best torch out there for the money. It's $659, so it's a little more expensive than a Major, but it's a MUCH better torch. Only comes with surface mix center though.

Pre mix vs. surface mix is a personal opinion. I love the pre mix on my CC, but a lot of people dislike it. I think you'd be happy with a Bullet though. I have never sold one to someone who wasn't happy with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-02-08, 12:17pm

Cosmo - thank you! I guess my big concern is I don't want to get something that I grow out of in another year and something that will work both boro and 104. I've seen a few people sing the Bullet praises so that's definitely something I'll consider. I'm such a tactile person too that I have a hard time buying anything without laying my hands on it first.

So am I right in assuming that with the bigger torches (in my price range anyway) you can still work 104? Pardon my newbieness!

BTW - I'm a gallery lurker and you do some incredible stuff!!!
Old 2008-02-08, 1:03pm

FYI Arrow Springs has knight bullet on sale this month

Old 2008-02-08, 1:52pm

I would look seriously at the Knight Bullet. It is a two stage torch with an inner fire that is similar to a minor and good for soft glass and small to medium boro and then an outer ring for when you are working larger boro. If I was getting a torch in that range it would be my pick.

I like my Cheetah, but wish I had a two stage GTT like the Phantom or Mirage. I like my CC too, but it uses more oxygen than the GTTs. My next torch will probably be a Mirage.

We have two Major Minors, and mostly use the minor parts only.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2008-02-08, 2:03pm
da General

I vote for the Bethlehem Barracuda.

I did a LOT of research before settling on the Cuda - here are some of the reasons I picked the Cuda over the Bullet (those were the last contenders):

1) I love working with soft glass and will be doing more boro - both Kimberly Affleck and Brent Garber (Mr. Smiley) use the Barracuda and I think my style is in line with theirs (not half as beautiful but one can have aspiration, right?)

2) The inner ring of a Barracuda is a Piranha - an excellent torch for soft glass and be what I will be using most of the time. I believe (please correct me if I am wrong) that the inner ring of the Knight Bullet is the Little Dragon and I have used the 7-port Little Dragon and don't like it as much as the Minor, Bobcat (this is the torch I used before) or the Mini CC. I have also tried the 12-port Little Dragon and prefer the Piranha over that.

3) I got a really good deal on a hardly used Barracuda

Anne - I think you need to find the type of work you are interested in and see what torch that particular artists are using. For example, I think the Cheetah is an excellent torch but it's all or nothing . . . I like the two-state torch with an inner fire that I use most of the time and an outer ring for the burst of heat I may need occasionally.

Hope this helps!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-08, 3:01pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_a_leak_in_art View Post
FYI Arrow Springs has knight bullet on sale this month
Awesome, thank you!!

Paul - the more research I do, I am finding that lot of people use the minor only - kinda defeats the purpose The bullet is starting to sound like what I want, I just wish I could sit at one of everything before I make my decision!

Hayley - that's a great idea that never crossed my mind (shocker!!). I've been lurking long enough that I've got my favorites and I know who inspires me so I'll see what they use. As for having a specific style yet, I don't think I'm there but I do know I like to work BIG. LOL!

Thanks you guys for all the input, you've shed some light on a somewhat confusing issue!