Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-10-28, 7:58pm
Bitten by the travel bug

Question Oxygen concentrators - help

Hi everyone,
I have been working on a HH for almost 3 years, and while I am quite happy with it, I know that I should really be thinking about a larger torch. I have hesitated mainly due to 2 things - cost of oxygen here and safety. I am set up in the house and I do not want oxygen bottles in the house (Im not even sure yet of the legalities here in Oz). Also, it is VERY expensive here. It is about $90 a month to hire a concentrator, and I believe that was the cheaper option, rather than gas bottles. My DH suggested I hire bottles, but only on my holidays, when I am most productive, but then I think my poor HH will feel terribly slow the rest of the time.

Anyway, a few months ago on the aussie emial list, someone mentioned second hand concentrators for $1000 AU "They are 5psi and have done less than 30K litres. "

The website for that company is http://www.sunrisemedical.com.au/dev...uctsoxygen.htm have also looked around quickly online to compare new prices and just found this 'sale' http://www.vitalitymedical.com/Vital...20concentrator .

My questions are (finally! )
Is 2nd hand safe in this case?
What psi do i need?
what is OSD and do I need it?
How many litres do I need?
What accessories - regulators etc do I need?

Thanks heaps in advance (and sorry for being longwinded)

Suzanne

Last edited by SuzFromOz; 2005-10-28 at 11:41pm.
Old 2005-10-28, 11:17pm
Gentleman of Leisure

It will depend a lot on what torch you want to use.... A Nortel Minor torch (and other small torches) will operate on almost any concentrator that puts out 4-5 LPM at about 7-8 PSI (48Kpa) ...

These figures are about the minimum acceptable output for a concentrator...

It is also possible to gang together two of these units to increase volume of oxygen.

I noticed one of your links did not work, but on the other they had units that put out 5 or 7 or 10 LPM... Any one of these unit will work.... However in this case bigger is always better, you really can't have too much oxygen. Also using a concentrator with more output will allow you to consider a larger torch...

If these units are new, there should be manufacturers warranty with them. Also a "good" used unit should also have some sort or warranty. These units are designed to run 24/7 so the are extremely reliable and can run up to 20,000 hours with just simple maintenance. A used unit with low hours should have a lot of serviceable hours left in them.

Any unit you get should have built in regulator so there is no need for additional oxygen regulator.

Safe is relative... Yes units are safe to use as oxygen source for torch... Is it a safe purchase, only if seller will stand behind unit with some sort of warranty. Its like buying anything used, there is some risk involved.

Dale M.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-10-28 at 11:24pm.
Old 2005-10-28, 11:42pm
Bitten by the travel bug

Thanks Dale. I have fixed the link. Do you know wat OSD stands for? You seem to be able to get the same model with or without....

Suzanne
Old 2005-10-29, 9:27am
Slightly Askew.....

I hate to sound ignorant, but is it my understanding that if you have a concentrator, you don't need the tanked oxygen??

Charlotte
Old 2005-10-29, 10:00am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzFromOz
Thanks Dale. I have fixed the link. Do you know wat OSD stands for? You seem to be able to get the same model with or without....

Suzanne
This site seems to explain OSD or "Oxygen Sensing Device" seems to be a oxygen quality sensor and maintenance indicator system built into ocycon... Probably not needed for running torch, but probably a good idea for person needing critical oxygen therapy...

http://phc-online.com/docs/BR_LT-1686RevG.pdf

Dale M.

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-10-29 at 10:15am.
Old 2005-10-29, 5:25pm
Bitten by the travel bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchid40
I hate to sound ignorant, but is it my understanding that if you have a concentrator, you don't need the tanked oxygen??

Charlotte

No, You are right, its just the rambling way I have written my post! I meant that a concentrator was too dera to hire, and oxygen is dear and I didnt want it in the house.

Suz
Old 2005-10-30, 10:45am
Slightly Askew.....

You were'nt rambling at all. I guess, I just need to investigate these concetrators more. I'm just not quite sure how they work & I'm getting ready to step up to an oxygen/propane setup...
Old 2005-10-30, 8:13pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchid40
You were'nt rambling at all. I guess, I just need to investigate these concetrators more. I'm just not quite sure how they work & I'm getting ready to step up to an oxygen/propane setup...

Check these sites ... Real good basic information....

http://www.suncoastbeads.com/
http://www.oxyunlimited.com/index.html

Dale

Old 2005-10-31, 11:13am
Slightly Askew.....

Thank you Dale!! That answered all of my questions. I'm thinking a concetrator is a must! Excellent scources!

Char
Old 2005-10-31, 11:26am
ManBearPig

We have 2 AirSep New Life concentrators that we teach classes with. We actually run 2 Minors off of each torch, and have plenty of flame on each torch. Granted, it takes some fiddling when you first start the torches to get the flames equal, but once you do that, it works great. We have taught over 10 full-day classes on them so far and haven't had a single problem. The best part is I think we paid $500 total for both concentrators off Ebay.

Old 2005-11-03, 8:16am
speed winding is a sport.

I noticed on ebay, you need a prescription< in most cases, to purchase a concentrator...how do you get around it??? I can't get my doctor to write one....
Old 2005-11-03, 9:08am

If you are buying medical units, some states do require a prescription.

For concentrators that are modified for craft/hobby use you do not need a prescription.
Old 2005-11-03, 9:26am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswinder
I noticed on ebay, you need a prescription< in most cases, to purchase a concentrator...how do you get around it??? I can't get my doctor to write one....
Buy from somebody who specalizes in concentrators for glass work... Thre are at least 4 dealers out there in the world... Several visit this site.

Some sellers on e-bay will sell to you without a perscription if you guarantee them it is for glass use and not medical use...

Dale