LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-11-08, 7:02am

Unhappy need a lil help here

... or maybe a lot...

Well, I'm finally getting to fire up my torch and am having a problem that i'm hoping you seasoned vets can help with.

Everything is set up and ready to go, I turn on the propane at the torch, lite it, and have flame. When I start to introduce oxygen, it "pops" and goes out. Kinda scared the crap outta me to put it lightly.

I'm not sure why this is happening, and before I go try it again, I'd like to know if in anyway this is normal and/or why this may be happening?

To start from the extreme beginning to give you a lil bit more info...
The very first time I tried, I lit the propane, introduced oxygen and had a flame for approx 30 sec (during which i was adjusting to get the neutral flame). There was a slight draft so I shut off the oxygen at the torch, left the propane on and lit, adjusted a fan at my right, then tried to introduce oxygen again. That is when it popped the first time.

I let the area "air out" and tried again. It immediately popped again and went out.

I'm using a National 8M, sm7 tip, bbq propane, and tanked o2, set at 5/10 psi respectively. .. and flash arrestors..

Thanks!
~Teresa
Old 2005-11-08, 7:48am
Beyond Cloud 9!

Hi Teresa,

I was having this problem too and yes, it certainly snaps you into reality!!! Someone gave me a tip on one of these forums to NOT turn off my oxygen at the torch. To leave the valve open. Just as you are going to start up a new session, turn down your oxygen at the torch and light it. I've seen folks say turn it all the way off right as you are going to start up a new session, and I've seen some that just turn it way down low. I use a concentrator so what works best for me is to turn it way down, where I don't even see it register on the oxycon. This gets rid of that scary popping, and you get a good flame every time.

Now any of you pros, please pipe in here if I am totally off, as I am still new and have lots to learn.

(Also let me apologize for not giving appropriate Kudos to whoever gave me this brilliant tidbid (has made my life a little less stressful), but I am absolutely horrible with names!! Thank you again to whoever that kind soul was.)

I hope I am not giving you wrong information, but that's what has worked for me. (And please, guys, let me know if I'm doing something wrong, too!)

This could be different using tanked oxygen for all I know, so hopefully others will chime in with some words of wisdom.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-11-08, 8:39am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

If you are NOT turning off O2 at the torch when lighting the propane, PLEASE make sure you have a flame arrestor in your system = don't want you to be a crispy critter!

Old 2005-11-08, 8:52am

thanks for the tips, I am fairly sure I've a handle on it now...

I think that I was turning on the o2 too quickly, although I thought it was "slow". Hubby came out to give me a hand and voila... beeaautiful flamage!

~Teresa
Old 2005-11-08, 9:08am
Fire Good!

I had the same exact problem this weekend when firing my torch for the first time. Two things I changed: 1. Once I got the propane lit I turned it down to a small flame and then introduced the O2. 2. I also turned the O2 on very slowly.

Good Luck & be careful!

Robert
Old 2005-11-08, 9:09am
Safety ALWAYS

Yeah -- turn OFF the oxygen. Light the propane, be sure you have a flame that's at least a couple of inches long, then slightly, slowly open the oxygen valve.

The POP comes from the oxygen blowing out the propane flame in a mini-explosion. Nothing hazardous except it scares the bejezus outa you.

Don't tighten the oxygen valve very tight. Finger tight is enough. If it's too tight, you struggle to open it with lots of twist and when it does open, BAM, way too much oxy and Kaboom, out goes the flame.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-11-08, 9:43am
Beyond Cloud 9!

Ooh, good info, Mike.

That's probably why it seems to work better to leave mine on a tad!! I was probably closing it too tightly. I will definitely do it that way from now on. Oxy OFF!

Thanks.

Old 2005-11-09, 8:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
Don't tighten the oxygen valve very tight. Finger tight is enough. If it's too tight, you struggle to open it with lots of twist and when it does open, BAM, way too much oxy and Kaboom, out goes the flame.
You hit the nail on the head with that one Mike. That's exactly what hubby told me I was doing wrong.

~Teresa
Old 2005-11-09, 9:59am

Default Yup.

I agree I never have the problem with my 8M and concentrators (either one or two). I do turn the oxygen off at the torch before I turn the propane on and light it, but have had to learn to barely, barely, really barely turn the propane on with my Lynx or I blew the flame out. It is a different breed of cat as the old saying goes, Peg M