Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-11-03, 4:02pm

Default stupid noobie hot head queston

hiya all
jsut setting up my hot head and wanted to know what is the safe distance from a wall or other objects would it be to set up a hot head. im worried ill eather melt a window or set stuff on fire or even worse the cemet wall ill be setting it up infront of will blow back on me. (cement garage) thanks and sorry for the noobie queston.
Old 2010-11-03, 4:53pm
I speak Murrini!

Hi and welcome to LE!

There's no such thing as a "stupid" question, except the one not asked, that is!

My Hot Head, which I use with a Creation Station, is about 2 1/2' from the back wall of my garage. As you may be able to see in these photos, I used to have a nice big 18" x 18" (travertine) tile that I just leaned up against my bench and the wall sort of as a heat-barrier back splash.

I've since drilled a hole in it and hung on the wall just behind where the radiant torch heat would probably make the wall a little toasty while I'm pulling a murrini I've been working on for 2-3 hours! Never had a problem:

Then:

Hope this helps!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2010-11-03 at 4:57pm. Reason: clarifying...
Old 2010-11-03, 8:42pm

thank you deanne.

sorry im a aussie is that 2.5 feet ? and your correct there is no sutch thing as a supid queston. jsut supid ppl hehehe. jks. btw nice setup there.
Old 2010-11-03, 9:26pm

It's about the width of a standard desk.

If you have your HH in front of a cement block wall it should be fine. Mine is attached to a desk in front of a window and a fan. Neither even get warm.

If you are worried about it, put a tile or some sheet metal over the wall where your flame aims. But a simple test is to put your hand on the wall after you have been torching for a while. Is it hot?

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2010-11-04, 1:03am
Alaska Boro

Another solution is to attach a piece of cement board to the wall. Comes in 3 x 5 foot pieces. Also place two on the floor to keep hot glass from burning holes in your flooring if working on a non cement floor. Also there is a lighter weight ceramic board that could be considered for wall mounting.
Old 2010-11-04, 8:02am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by zact01 View Post
thank you deanne.

sorry im a aussie is that 2.5 feet ? and your correct there is no sutch thing as a supid queston. jsut supid ppl hehehe. jks. btw nice setup there.
For you people on upside down part of planet ...About 1/2 meter minimum.... that is about 20 inches in Imperial measurements.... A quick check is after a hour or so of torch operation, shut it down and run bare hand over wall, if its to hot to touch you need more space between torch and wall.... If its only a bit warn its probably not going to be a problem...

MY HH sits about 30 inches (little over 760mm) from a wood wall and it does not even get warm...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-11-10, 6:33pm

thank you all for your replyes . ill jsut set up and see what happens hehe.