Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2011-03-13, 1:44am
I'm meeeeelting

Default Scorpion vs. Barracuda

I have been running a Barracuda on liquid oxy at the studio where I've rented for the last couple of years and have been very happy with my torch. I now have my home studio up and running and am using 2 Regalias plus a holding tank. I can get a great inner flame but not all that strong of an outer fire. I don't want to switch to tanked and am wondering if I'd be happier with a Scorpion. From what I've read, it sounds like it'd run well on my current oxy set up. I'm wondering how it'll compare in heat and flame, though, and whether it'll seem too small/not hot enough when I want to use the outer fire.

Has anyone used both of these torches and if so can you how you think they stack up to each other?

Thanks.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-13, 4:34am
Mad about Glass

I haven't used a Barracuda but I can tell you that the Scorpion rune 100% better on an oxycon than a minor, mega minor or midrange.

[url]

Old 2011-03-13, 10:14am
I'm meeeeelting

That's good to know. Thanks, Jenn.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2011-03-13, 10:25am
da General

That depends on how much you use the inner flame, Felicia. The inner flame of the Scorpion is the Cricket and is a much weaker flame than the inner flame of the Barracuda. But if you run both flames most of the time, then the Scorpion is a good option.

My sister uses a Bobcat with a M15 (the Bobcat is slightly hotter on a M15 than a Cricket) and I prefer my Cuda with just one Regalia (using only the inner flame 90% of the time) so much better. We have a two-torch station with them side by side.

Hope this helps.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-13, 10:45am
I'm meeeeelting

Hmmm. I mostly use the inner flame, but I want a good, workable outer flame, too. Why is there no perfect torch. LOL! I tried out a Cricket at Glass Stock last year and thought it was pretty similar to my 'Cuda inner fire, but I don't know how closely I paid attention. I know that I thought it was a nice little torch and liked it better than the minor or mini cc.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2011-03-13 at 10:49am.
Old 2011-03-13, 10:53am
da General

The Cricket is a nice little torch but narrower and less hot than the inner flame of the Cuda.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-13, 12:33pm

I have a scorpion and a cuda. I love them both. I use the cuda for soft glass and the scorpion for boro. I love my cuda for because the center fire is a little larger but softer. I open the outer ring and the flame is still a soft flame perfect for soft glass.

I love my scorpion too! I use it for boro. It is a hotter, more agressive flame on the same O2. I get a much stronger flame on the scorpion. I have an M-15 and an M-20 linked together. I use the same O2 set up for both torches.

I think both torches are fantastic. But they are very different.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2011-03-13, 1:01pm
I'm meeeeelting

That's so not helpful. You're making me want both instead of replacing one with the other. LOL. Actually, you've both given me some things to think about. Thanks.

Foot Pedal Tutorial: