Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2012-06-18, 9:30am

Default Leak from gas knob?

Is this possible? I smell propane when my torch is running, inner fire only. The torch is a Barracuda, pretty old I guess. I'm the second owner that I know of. I checked the lines, that's not it. I *think* the smell is coming from the inner fire gas knob. I'm not at all sure if it's cool to put soapy water on the threads to the knob itself so I haven't done that. Can I?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-06-18, 10:03am
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Bethlehem valves have a soft seal with a set nut on it below the knob itself. If you do find a leak there you can tighten the seal. Soapy water should be fine to do the test, but sometimes you won't see the bubbles since the knob overlaps the threads and can conceal the bubbles from view.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-06-18, 10:07am

Thanks for the quick response Pam! I'll go try it now.

Old 2012-06-18, 11:23am
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Just make small adjustments to stop the leak(like 1/8 of a turn at a time). Don't make it too tight. The knob will get harder to turn.

Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-06-20, 9:20am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I might mention that there is a correct proceedure to adjust a valve stem gland nut as taught in the marine industry.

Shut off the supply to the valve - tank valves.
Open the valve a turn or two
Adjust the nut while turning the valve hand wheel back and forth until it feels snug
Close the valve
Restart the system in normal fashion and check for leaks.

I reality most people just snug up on the valve nut while the system is in operation until the leak stops or the handle gets too tight to turn. Then it's time to repack or in your case replace the 'soft seal'.
Old 2012-06-20, 12:23pm

I suggest sending your barracuda into Bethlehem. If the only problem you are having is the valve they can replace it for free. All Bethlehem Burners have a lifetime warranty on their valves. The only time you may have to pay for a replacement valve, is if they can tell its broken from human error, i.e. if you dropped the burner.
Old 2012-06-20, 5:24pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

I did not know that Bethlehem had a life time warranty on the valves. Thanks for the heads up. I expected it to cost the $125 for maintenance like when I sent a PM2D in a few years ago. It had no damage but they did ask if I'd like it cleaned while it was there, maybe that is what I was charged for. I later learned how to adjust the seal on my own. They really do make a great torch.

Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-06-23, 8:55am

Thanks for the further info! PJ, I did shut everything off but didn't open the valve on the torch when I tightened it. I need to try that. What I did seemed to work for a few days but the smell is back.

I'm going to try again. I really hope I don't have to send it in to Beth, I don't have a back-up torch.